Seeking info about my Sega Speculator

General vintage slot machine related topics.
woodcutter

Seeking info about my Sega Speculator

Post by woodcutter »

Hi, I'm new to this forum from the UK and just wanted to share my machine with everyone.
Its a Sega Speculator which I have had a couple of years now. I don't know anything about it and cannot find any info on the net about this particular Sega model and have never seen another for sale. It works well mechanically but I suspect the electrics could do with some attention soon.
It has a 'Feature' function where you select 1, 2 or 3 to guess if a speculator symbol appears on that reel at which you win 18 coins. Anyway, here are some pics (sorry about quality). If anyone has any more info about this machine I'd love to hear about it.

Kris
Attachments
D9F95C91-0E5D-4A44-84C2-C90DB5560E80_zpspr0bdaoa.jpg
A06BABA0-4294-4ACE-ABFB-BD4030C5B6F1_zps3elhqyat.jpg
418A2406-27CF-4BF3-A6F7-FC9F57D46564_zpsow3pe3zk.jpg
24C1C7C5-F49B-4ECA-A2A4-995B5B47A695_zpspwxymcsa.jpg
treefrog

Re: Seeking info about my Sega Speculator

Post by treefrog »

Welcome to the site,

I recall seeing a similar modified machine before and am sure there was previous postings of such a machine on the site. Not sure it is Sega, but a Lite-Up UK variant and this may well be a modification on top of that. I am sure there will be some electrics inside which may indicate how this feature works, so would be good to see some pictures of the mechanism..
woodcutter

Post by woodcutter »

Thanks for the reply, that gives me another angle to look into. I assumed it was a Sega due to looking similar to other models. The feature keeps the play very much more interesting so nice to have it. I did think the three selection buttons looked retro fitted but the rest of the feature is very well intergrated into the machine.

The way it works is that on each reel there is a "Select Reel" icon, when one lands on the win line it activates the feature. You then need to select reel 1, 2 or 3 using the buttons, your selection is shown by a lit area on the top box. Then you spin again and if the "Speculator" icon from your chosen reel lands on the win line you get an 18 coin payout.
I will try and get some more photos up of the inside soon.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I had something similar with an electric payout when a feature was lit. I suspect its a British made machine in the same guise as a Sega, however many of the parts are not interchangeable with a Sega, such as the rear hood, the base plate for the mech is different, as are the interconnections from the complete inner mechanism to the coin acceptor, whether that be a shefra type mech, or a escalator, etc. I think the general consensus with my one way back years on this forum is that mine was a Berkeley, of course, I can only 'speculate' : ) that Berkeley is the maker of yours. Either way, its a nice looking machine you have got, unusual and thanks for sharing. Malc
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Shame the poster never got back with pictures of insides!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi, as some of you will know I am not really into bandits, but I have been asked by Freddy Bailey to pass on this little bit of interesting information about the Speculator.
Stuart,
on the pennymachines website, a guy was looking for some in formation about a fruit machine he as called "Speculator" can you respond and tell him it was a conversion made by Instone & Ashby Ltd, in 1966 they worked very closely with Marty Bromley who owned Sega, they also did the "Lucky Devil" and "Money Matador" conversions. These conversions were developed to get around the 10 token payout law in the early 1960's.

Freddy
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Following on from Freddy's info see the flyer I have for the Cherry Picker conversion from Instone's and as stated they did the Speculator, Can can and Lucky Devil as well. The price at the time for the kit was £59 as written
Attachments
speculator.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

An example from last Sunday's sale.
Attachments
161.jpg
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

First time I'd seen this specific version.
Attachments
237px-OlympiaStar_SlotMachine.jpg
237px-OlympiaStar_SlotMachine.jpg (19.52 KiB) Viewed 2062 times