Minisoccer Ltd. Minisoccer

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
glittering-prize67

Minisoccer Ltd. Minisoccer

Post by glittering-prize67 »

Topic moved - Site Admin.

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know where I can buy some legs for a sixties Mini Soccer game? I think they were wooden ones but standard metal ones would do the job. Any info or manuals etc. on this game would be great.
simon
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hello Simon,

To quote from my piece about the origins of coin-op football:
The electro-mechanical age brought Minisoccer, marketed from 1964 by Minisoccer Ltd., of Southall, Middlesex (patented by Albert Leslie Cane in 1965), which enjoyed a period of popularity with its sixteen miniature players running up and down the pitch in parallel tracks and pivoting to kick. It was the first game in which the footballers had to chase the ball to keep up with the action, and skillful interceptions were possible. The goalies were hand cranked, the score at each end was registered by rows of bulbs, and following the rules of football, the ball returned to play until time ran out. A six-a-side hockey variant employed the same tracking player system, and was covered by the same patents.
See the US patent here.

Your chance of finding some original legs must be very small and in my opinion it would be a shame to spoil such a nice machine by fitting metal pinball legs or the like. I suggest you get some hardwood (beech, I think) and make a set. The dimensions are 31" x 1.5" x 1.5" with a half inch by half inch by 9 inch inset at the top to support each corner of the table.
Attachments
minisoccer_leg.jpg
minisoccer.jpg
minisoccer.jpg (22.97 KiB) Viewed 9416 times
JC

Mini soccer - payout?

Post by JC »

I presume the machine Simon has is the one sold on ebay recently (with no legs). I was tempted to bid on this, but was discouraged by the lack of these wooden appendages! A similar machine sold at the Wookey Hole sale last November, which I really wish I'd bought now. I remember these machines as a boy back in the 1960s, when they would have been really modern machines. I'm intrigued by the picture posted by Pennymachines which clearly shows an allwin style payout cup. Did these machines have some sort of winners payout?

Jerry :-?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

..............looks to me as if it's directly underneath the coin entry, so I bet ten bob it's just the coin return ............... over to you Mr Pennymachines who's right?
Badpenny :boing!:
glittering-prize67

Re: Mini soccer - payout?

Post by glittering-prize67 »

The payout cup is just a coin return from the coin mech. It does not payout. I'm doing away with the coin slot altogether and having free play buttons at either end. One in red and one in blue, to match player colours.
stoxman22

Mini Soccer

Post by stoxman22 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

What can anyone tell me about this latest purchase. The notes I got from the seller are that it is around 1962 vintage and manufactured by Mini soccer Ltd.
I remember playing on one of these machines in Mablethorpe in the 70s and I dont think I have seen one since. Everything is there but the original glass has been damaged and the original legs have been replaced. There is a bit of work to do with the timer which is mechanical, at the minute it just keeps playing.
Attachments
PICT3327.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Great game, lots of fun, especially with several players at each end. If you figure out the timer, let me know - I'm trying to fix one with the same problem.
morten muller

Minisoccer

Post by morten muller »

Morten Müller, Denmark
Attachments
IMG_3255a.jpg
IMG_3270a.jpg
IMG_3271a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I remember playing these in England in the late '60s early '70s. I always imagined there must be a complex arrangement of chains or guide wires inside.
Is there a motor for each player or is it one large constantly running motor to which you engage your players by a sort of clutch arrangement when you depress the levers?

I nearly found out when I spotted one standing outside in someone's back garden. I knocked on the door to enquire if it was for sale, and was greeted with waves of apathy. I later learnt it remained outside all winter then they burnt it!

Badpenny
morten muller

Minisoccer

Post by morten muller »

Does anyone know how much this machine is worth in England? I'm thinking of selling it. Best regards Morten Müller.
stoxman22

Post by stoxman22 »

You don't see one for decades then 2 come at once. Here is my Minisoccer a good way into working again. Sadly the motor on the mechanical timer was open circuit so I have had to wire in a timer to do the job.
Attachments
PICT3644.JPG
PICT3642.JPG
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

Badpenny wrote:I remember playing these in England in the late 60's early 70's. I always imagined there must be a complex arrangement of chains or guide wires inside.
Is there a motor for each player or is it one large constantly running motor to which you engage your players by a sort of clutch arrangement when you depress the levers?
For those who haven't worked it out yet: The long shaft in the photo has a similar shaft above it, and both are geared together by the big black gears to rotate in opposite directions. The drive to each player is via a rubber wheel mounted between the two shafts. When the wheel is raised to press against the upper shaft it rotates in one direction, and when it is pressed against the lower shaft it rotates in the opposite direction.

A very simple, elegant, compact, and cheap solution.

Am I right in remembering that the players also turned to face the direction in which they were running?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Of course they did ............ otherwise they'd have fallen over wouldn't they? :?
Incidently Stoxman I've got one of those as well!!!! (a pinball with junk piled up on it!)
bryans fan

mini soccer

Post by bryans fan »

I hope I'm right in saying the patent drawing etc. is in the Archive section, under patents. Cromptons mini soccer 1960 something ... it may be of use to you during restoration. If you've not found it already.
JC

Post by JC »

I can't remember who made the Minsoccer, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't Cromptons. Wasn't it the Minisoccer Co. or something? I've just checked the patent, and it's in the name of Albert Leslie Crane, dated 1965. It should certainly be of use to anyone restoring one of these great games.
stoxman22

Post by stoxman22 »

There is nothing in the mechanical timer, just a switch release and a cam to do it. I found that on my timer the motor was open circuit so I have wired in an electronic timer. I did try and get a new motor but all the synchronus motors I tried seemed too fast.(I only tried 2).
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Designed and patented by Albert Leslie Cane in 1965 and made by Minisoccer Ltd., Witley Works, Witley Gardens, Southall: Patent No. US3428316

Thanks for the hint, Stoxman. I'll check out the timer motor.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

OOps!!! Sorry. I did look it up before posting, but by the time I got back to the forum it had changed to Cromptons in my mind! In my defence the correct patent is between two Cromptons patents!
Any way I was only trying to help :-? :-? It was a senior moment.
overkilll

Minisoccer, marketed from 1964 by Minisoccer Ltd.

Post by overkilll »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi fellows

I just have one electro-mechanical Minisoccer, marketed from 1964 by Minisoccer Ltd., not working.

Now I have an opportunity to buy another one working to see if I can use this new to repair the first that I just have. Anyone can help me with a price valuation to see if I agree with the price that owner request?

Many thanks for your help.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Minisoccer, marketed from 1964 by Minisoccer Ltd.

Post by badpenny »

Hi overkill ......

Welcome to the bestest ever slot site this side of Scransville Illinois.

Firstly the only reference already on this website is ... (now merged above - Site Admin.)
Secondly what anything in the world is worth depends entirely on what anybody is willing to pay.
If you already have one not working but it owes you £50 (for example) then buying a working one which would enable you to sell the broken one for enough to pay for the second one as well, then it's a simple equation.

If however Godolphin Fortescue who lives in Charley Farley Square London W1 remembers playing one with his chums when he was up at Oxford in the 70s and would really like to have it for his year reunion next May and it's worth his while spending £3K for a frightfully good 30 second chortle ..... then it's worth £3K

I'm sorry I can't give a more helpful answer than that, but if I were able to do so, I'd be making a killing buying at obscure auctions and selling again .... and again .... and again .... ad infinitum.

As it is I merely shake my head wondering where the last 63 years went and banging my head against a wall while questioning why on earth I didn't keep every car I bought since I was 17. :oops:
BP
PS .... let us know how you get on and don't forget to post photos, we love photos, especially your girlfriend or at least your wife.