Juke Box "In The Market"

General vintage slot machine related topics.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Juke Box "In The Market"

Post by badpenny »

I'm not selling the item nor do I have a vested interest in it. Although I do have an interest in so much as it hurtled me back to my youth in the early 70s.
This One

My interest in English/arcade/slots originated through school holidays in Torbay and an Uncle with an arcade on a Caravan Site.
Then in 74 I went to work in Spain for a few years teaching English as a foreign language. This was in Pamplona where they run the bulls through the streets every July San Fermin

This was just before Franco died so gambling apart from the daily lottery was forbidden (yeah right!).
As every other doorway was a Bar the quantity of pin-tables and jukeboxes was phenomenal.
By far the most encountered jukebox was The Petaco Rennotte.

A great jukebox for a small bar, it didn't take up a lot of room and easily filled a small venue with music, and all for a low level capital investment.
The intriguing attraction was the way the visible mechanism selected the play.
Looking at the records you can see there are 30 singles each one placed on a metal platter.
Each platter is a slightly smaller diameter than the one above.
Consequently the stack is the shape of an inverted cone.

Positioned around the turntable are three telescopic vertical rods. These raise to lift the stack at the chosen record to be played allowing the arm to swing in underneath the stack of records raised in the air ... heart stopping!

The downside is that it can only play one side, although they did bring out a later model that got around that problem it was The 100, self explanatory name.

When I went back to Spain a few years afterwards they were all gone, obviously a massive update with transistorised amps and LCD displays had displaced them.

I wonder how this one survived and ended up here.
Has anyone come across one in UK?

Long may it survive.

BP !THUMBS!
hutto

Re: Juke Box "In The Market"

Post by hutto »

Just had a look on youtube :!: what a fab machine never get fed up watching that record select mec !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It was quite a game at around 2 am to select the bottom record.
Then with 29 balanced above on three legs try and knock the machine to unbalance the tottering stack off balance before the barman spotted and threw you out.
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

I dont think banging the jukebox would affect the stack as its all held in place with 3 solid cast arms and a central threaded rod of about 1 inch dia.It is a great mech to watch and really a quite smart looking jukebox.It has a glass pannel in each corner and when a selection is made illuminate when the tone arm is in position.A brilliant but simple idea and it works very well.The guy i got mine from had several but had been sat outside a good while and sadly forgotten.I think he made 3 good ones out of about 7 machines as some where simply too far gone.He did a fab job too.Glad it brought memories back BP.I know you been about,but i didnt realize you had been to spain.Come to think of it,is there anywhere you aint been. !!YABBADABBA!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I've had six addresses since I joined Penny Machines.
I've had at least 30 since I was born, moving target and all that.

Is yours still coin operated?
Am I right in assuming a valve amp?
I always thought they were mono, but don't know why.

BP
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

badpenny wrote:I've had six addresses since I joined Penny Machines.
I've had at least 30 since I was born, moving target and all that.

Is yours still coin operated?
Am I right in assuming a valve amp?
I always thought they were mono, but don't know why.

BP
Yes its coin operated,its mono and its solid state.It has one huge 12 inch speaker that packs a punch.It works on pasatas but old shillings work fine aswell.So BP,Have you any plans to move in the near future.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

They used to work on a 5 peseta coin (called un Duro)
Very similar to the old shilling.

I can safely say without fear of contraception that my last 5 moves of addresses have had nothing to do with any plans of mine.
The intricacies of the female mind have been less comprehensible to me than my 1964 Pinball machine.

BP
sparkey

Post by sparkey »

pataco rennotte jukebox...restoring one in the UK...need the record trays, as these are damaged/home made and missing....anyone have them to sale? or has anyone got a rennotte that they can take some measurements of the trays for me, many thanks, bob
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Sparky and welcome.

You could try posting a Wanted advert in the Market.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

They wouldn't be horrendous to manufacture, but the dimensions and true circular shape would be critical.
I suspect you already know that and guess you are Bob Sparkey who is already asking on markt.jukebox-world.de

Good luck with your mission.

BP :cool:
sparkey

Post by sparkey »

hi, yes it is me on the jukebox groups, been asking anywhere i can think of, so far with no luck! i suspect i will end up making them...but need accurate measurements, as you say, this is critical....i will put a want in markets as you suggested...thanks, bob [jukebox restorations southwest]