E/M Bally bandits

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
skeggylad

E/M Bally bandits

Post by skeggylad »

Hi,
I have a 2p one armed machine - it's called Lucky Stars. The top part is new: 10p 20p and 50p.
Any info would be great - who made it, for a start. lol

Many thanks for any help.
Attachments
10376138_845853732091535_2215191674374697622_n.jpg
aristomatic

Re: Hi there info on a bandit needed please

Post by aristomatic »

Welcome skeggylad.

Seen this model a few times over the years, however as electromechanical machines not my area will let others with more experience chip in with all the details.
Bet it's heavy to move about, even after the reel bundle and hopper removed!

GP
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

It's mainly a Bally, I can't tell what model but this one (or the front door anyway) was not converted from a Sir Prize as they usually are. The top box was added to it later in life. You may be able to discover the Bally model number by finding it stamped on the star wheels or the contact boards at the back of the reels. It will be a number probably between 750 and 1000.

Nice professional job, whoever did it.
raj

Post by raj »

It's basically a Money Honey variant from the '60s. Great machine produced in vast numbers. The original cash drawer suggests it may be a reworked Vegas machine with later UK top artwork. It will may have the original hopper payout, as opposed to the solenoid option and all the dodgy wiring that goes with them. Looks good, treat with care as they don't age very well, hardened grease, weak contacts and wear and tear... Enjoy.
skeggylad

Re: Bally Lucky Stars identified

Post by skeggylad »

Thank you for replies
The payout mech seems to be a big wheel that turns and chucks 2 pences out. I will take out the reels and have a look for any numbers. Thanks again.
Oh, ps:
If anyone knows were I can get a service manual or a few tips on how to clean grease and adjust bits and bobs I will be grateful. Many thanks for having me here.

Cheers
skeggylad

Post by skeggylad »

A couple of pics for you.
I couldn't find any numbers anywhere unfortunately but the door has a couple but I think could be the cast model not sure.

On the reels someone has written in felt tip 'SW Controls payouts' and it points towards a section of micro switches? Any idea what this means?

Thank you again.
photo-(6).jpg

photo-(7).jpg

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

"Mr slot" sells Bally manuals (find his web site online at www.mrslot1.com).
Loads of tips on cleaning and restoring on this very website. Look in tips for beginners and other areas.

Although this machine still comes under the type of machines we most like on this site, it is at the very end of the mechanical slot era. Once the hopper type payout cuts in, a lot of collectors draw the line. This is almost the end of the "Money Honey" series and has little in common with the first "Money Honey" which was the machine that tolled the end of the mechanical slot machine. The mk1 introduced a few electrical innovations like power controlled coin entry. Next came electric payouts, special features and the hopper and lastly power driven reels and then the mechanical slot was dead... but far from forgotten.
skeggylad

Bally slot machine hopper problems

Post by skeggylad »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi, can anyone help? My Bally works 99% perfect apart from big payouts above 32p. The coins won't fall into the slots and spit out sometimes resulting in the machine shutting down and having to press reset button. Now I've cleaned it best I can. The disc spins fine but the 2ps seems to not fall into slots. Is there an easy fix for this?

Thank you.
raj

Post by raj »

Your machine looks like it needs a very thorough degrease, as this is the most common cause of mis ops in Ballys. Use thinners or MEK to cut through the hardened grease, especially underneath where there are a number of slides and moving parts that never get touched. WD40 is quite good as a 1st shot lube once everything is squeeky clean and it will wick into the moving parts, but is absolutely not a substitute for 3 in 1 oil, as it dries out in no time. New car grease on metal to metal parts will help lock in the oil. Incorrect payouts are usually caused by the springs on the 3 wipers getting bent or going light - easy fix. Not sure about the hopper issues, maybe a lube issue. Last things, handle the mech with care, lots of contacts to bend & remember there is 240v flying round the door, not 110v which is generally non-lethal!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

You might have a problem using a manual on this machine as it is far from a factory machine. It's had a very good professional makeover at some time with much added (all the payout switches shown in your photo are late additions). I think most of your problems will go with a good clean. As Raj says, solvents get rid of grease and WD40 helps as well but if you intend to use this machine as a home machine I would advise not to grease it - a very light oiling once every six months with no oil anywhere near any coins is all you need.
Attachments
An earlier Money Honey series machine
An earlier Money Honey series machine
skeggylad

Post by skeggylad »

Great advice, thank you.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Bally EM Service Manual

The picture of the door shows this is a pre-1968 machine. A huge amount of wiring has been stripped off the side of the mech and replaced by those three microswitches - all of them are working off the same action bar, and basically inform something more complicated what the mechanism is doing. The "something more complicated" is no doubt in the top box, where you'll find a mass of relays and perhaps a cam timer to control the change function. The thing with a ratchet at the extreme upper left of the mech picture is probably the "5 games for 10p" counter.
raj

Post by raj »

here you go, an excellent Bally manual on ebay... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bally-Slot-Ma ... 4185b10ab9
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

That book is largely copied directly from the manual I posted the free link to.
skeggylad

Post by skeggylad »

That's great - thanks again.

I'll get it degreased and oiled with 3 in 1 oil. It will be used in the home mainly.
skeggylad

All cleaned up

Post by skeggylad »

Post moved & merged - Site Admin.

All cleaned and polished, new locks coming for it tomorrow, 10p slot converted too. I think I am addicted now. lol
Attachments
photo-3-(1).jpg
skeggylad

Post by skeggylad »

I managed to buy a Manual for £6.
skeggylad

bottom flouresnt tube replace

Post by skeggylad »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to replace a tube in the bottom panel? I bought the manual but it doesn't tell me. lol

It's a Bally 742a.

Thank you
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: bottom flouresnt tube replace

Post by badpenny »

You're not the first person to express the difficulty of getting at the lower tube in the door.
It seems an oxy-acetylene sledge hammer wired up to a thermic-lance may be the way.

BP :cool:
skeggylad

Re: bottom flouresnt tube replace

Post by skeggylad »

Done it - two screws hold in the complete panel, you then take off chrome trim then the glass comes away.
Now to test if it's the transformer or starter or bulb that's gone. ;)