Reel strips for Segas

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
trowelhand

Reel strips for Segas

Post by trowelhand »

Hi out there - Can anyone tell me where I can obtain new reel strips for a Sega Bonus Star? Can find plenty for Mills and Jennings, but not for these old Segas. If anyone can help, many thanks, Keith - and happy New Year.
operator bell

Re: reel strips for segas

Post by operator bell »

trowelhand wrote:...new reel strips for a Sega Bonus Star...
Nobody seems to have any suggestions where you can buy them, but I know how to make them. Do you have the original strips? We'll need to measure them, scan the symbols and work out the symbol order. Then we draw the strips in Photoshop, print them with a color laser printer on the back of Mylar transparency film, laminate them on bright white card, then cut and fit.

Here are some I prepared earlier, for a Bally machine -
Attachments
strips.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

What an excellent job OB! And a belated welcome to the PennyMachines Forums and Happy New Year to you.
From your earlier posts it's apparent you have both technical and historical knowledge that will be invaluable to all of us here - and enthusiasm too. Just the kind of chap we need! :)
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Thanks for the compliments and greetings, PM.
trowelhand

Post by trowelhand »

Thanks for your message, operater bell, very impressed with the bally strips that you made. Unfrotunately I am missing onr strip for the Sega so cant send them out for you to copy. I am sure I will in touch with you in the future. in the mean time I am still looking for a new set for the sega.
Regards trowelhand
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

trowelhand wrote:Unfrotunately I am missing one strip for the Sega so cant send them out for you to copy.
Well, all is not lost - all we need is one good example of each symbol to copy, and the order for the missing strip. We can work out the order by looking at the finger holes in the payout disc.

Peter
trowelhand

Post by trowelhand »

Hi Operator Bell
Thanks for getting back to me.That's great if you can still make the strips. You have given me a thought, would it help if I sent the two strips that I have. it's the first reel strip that is missing, a friend of mine has same machine and I could get the order of the symblos from him if that would help. If this would be OK please let me know and we can work out how to proceed.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards Trowelhand
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

That's good thinking. Let's do it, if you trust me with your two strips. I'll write it up here with pics as a tutorial, since it's a pretty fundamental topic to have in a category called "Build a Slot Machine".
simonlindsay

Post by simonlindsay »

Hi,

Are you still making reel strips?

I am in need of the first reel strip for a Sega? machine - it has a black background and the usual cherries, plums, bells etc and a 'Bell Fruit Gum' (bar) symbol and a lemon with a '7' through it. I could send you the original strip if necessary. The reason I need a new strip is that at some point extra 'lemons' have been glued on and screws and plates inserted into the pay wheel to reduce the number of payouts. I wouild like to restore the machine to it's original condition.

Please could you send me details of cost etc?

Many thanks,

Simon
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I hadn't seen this thread, but reel strips are definately another one of those challenges I want to improve on. I bought a set from Henry Powell and although they did the job, they were not the colour I wanted and essentially were just sections of injet photo paper glued together.

So my challenge is two fold. Firstly given there a huge variety of symbols and background colours, I have been speaking to a software developer at work, who has offered me help to create a template database, where I will scan every symbol I can get and add these to a template system where you select the manufacturor, background colour and symbol type and onto a predefined 20 stop template. This would then allow you in seconds to create any reel strip quickly. Next challenge is the printing. At work we have a print shop and can produce copies upto A0 and a multitude of finishes, including plastic coated paper. If I get this far, I may invest in a large format injet printer to do the job. (Shouldn't be using work :tut )

So watch this space, if successfully I could be knocking out cheap realistic strips......well in theory, but I wouldn't wait for me though. If you think this is a mad idea, by all means let me know...At least if I can get the template tool created, I could share this for others...
simonlindsay

Post by simonlindsay »

Hi tree-frog,

Sounds like a plan!

I'm sure there are many 'enthusiasts' that would welcome a service like this. It is a sure fire way to finish that total re-furbishment of old slot machines and as long as the cost is reasonable the orders would come flooding in!

Now . . .when can you start a re-chroming business? I'm seriously looking at buying some (inexpensive) equipment to re-chrome my slot machines but I'm only at the investigation stage. I need the right equipment to be able to deal with coin trays, large parts of machines and, of course, handles, coin denomination signs etc. Anybody out there able to advise?

Many thanks,

Simon
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Stuart has already touched on this subject and due to the dangers has made a sensible recommendation .......

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=252&p=6672&hilit=home+chrome#p6672
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

treefrog wrote:I hadn't seen this thread, but reel strips are definately another one of those challenges I want to improve on. I bought a set from Henry Powell and although they did the job, they were not the colour I wanted and essentially were just sections of injet photo paper glued together.

So my challenge is two fold. Firstly given there a huge variety of symbols and background colours, I have been speaking to a software developer at work, who has offered me help to create a template database, where I will scan every symbol I can get and add these to a template system where you select the manufacturor, background colour and symbol type and onto a predefined 20 stop template. This would then allow you in seconds to create any reel strip quickly. Next challenge is the printing. At work we have a print shop and can produce copies upto A0 and a multitude of finishes, including plastic coated paper. If I get this far, I may invest in a large format injet printer to do the job. (Shouldn't be using work :tut )

So watch this space, if successfully I could be knocking out cheap realistic strips......well in theory, but I wouldn't wait for me though. If you think this is a mad idea, by all means let me know...At least if I can get the template tool created, I could share this for others...
!!DIG!!

did you go far in this project?