John Morley

General vintage slot machine related topics.
JC

John Morley

Post by JC »

I'm afraid I have some very sad news. I've just learnt that John Morley died very recently, I believe within the last week or so - no more details at the moment, but I shall post when I know more.

I know he will be missed by many of us.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: John Morley

Post by pennymachines »

I'm very sorry to hear that Jerry. He was one of the outstanding characters in our hobby and, as you say, will be very much missed.
Thank you for letting us know.
Attachments
John Morley in front of his arcade, 2006
John Morley in front of his arcade, 2006
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Very sad news! R.I.P. John.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Very sad news indeed. I was surprised by jingles post saying he was not at the Great Dorset Steam Fair, as he is always there! I knew John for many years and always enjoyed his tales of being an operator when we met up, usually at The GDSF.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

very sad, i had known john for 30 years and had many a chat and deal, he was probably the only reason to visit the dorset steam fair.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

That is sad news, someone who loved to talk and talk and talk about the past in the slottie world.....and leaves a gap in terms of the mobile vintage amusement arcades that was a passion for him. I was staggered when going around to see him (he is only 5 miles from me) with all the manual work he would be doing repairing his tractor units or swingboats
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Yes , very sad.......................and so the pool of slot knowledge gets smaller, especially with the passing of John Carter, Harold English and now John Morley.
That is why it is important to record as much information as possible for future generations to appreciate.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

I would also like to pay my respects to a great man and a friend. I used to see John in the Thursday market in Chelmsford where he would sell old toys and trains. That was over 30 years ago. Over the years, we have kept in contact and I have had many a long chat with John at his house. More recently, I used to pop in for a cuppa, and natter about slots, rides and his arcade. He hadn't changed at all in the last 30+ years although I know he was in poor health. I was due to visit him again next month but that will never be.

May God bless his passing and may our thoughts and prayers give some comfort to his family.

Until we meet again John...

Greg x
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

I never had the pleasure of meeting john sounds like he was a real character......... looks like his collection is up for auction at the elephant house in may, did he own many machines??
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Was waiting for this to be announced as I had been discussing the same with the close family friend who had secured the machines last year, which were not exactly safe and knew they would be put into auction. I was reassured they would all be available, but will be interesting to see as I remember a number of rare machines I had seen on my visits, so will know when released on the site. If they are not there well make your own mind up, but I will make contact and find out what the story is.

There are quite a few machines and most were in not great condition, some stored badly outside and the ones operated mostly were converted to modern coins, like 5p, so sleeved and needing some work.....The arcades are big though and would need a tractor to tow them, even the smaller arcade. Wonder what will happen to all the rides etc.

Look forward to it as who knows what may turn up? ;-)
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

jimmycowman wrote:I never had the pleasure of meeting john sounds like he was a real character......... looks like his collection is up for auction at the elephant house in may, did he own many machines??
Oh yes he did. Probably a hundred or so, maybe more and some that haven't been seen for years. I called them his "hidden treasures". We will have to see if they appear in the auction. John had some lovely super-rare machines but nearly all are on the modern 5 pence piece which I am sure will affect their value.