Jubilee 3 reel bundle problem

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
greg1

Jubilee 3 reel bundle problem

Post by greg1 »

Topic moved - Site Admin.

Hi,
Please help. I have a Jubilee 3 reel machine. I must have moved the reel bundle as I cannot get the machine to pay out the lowest two old 5ps. It always pays out four old coins. It will pay out the jackpot, but how do I reset the reels for the lowest pay out?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: reel bundle

Post by badpenny »

Hi matey and welcome to "The" Forum.
* Photos might help us.
* Time to confess - You think you might have moved the reels ..... have you?
* What else might you have moved or tinkered with?
* What was it doing/not doing to require tinkering when you first got hold of it?
* You mention The Jackpot pays, what about all of the combinations?

Jubs & Aristos are pretty robust so I reckon a slight tap in the right place with a sledgehammer should sort it.

BP
greg1

Re: Jubilee 3 reel bundle problem

Post by greg1 »

I've had the machine since the late '60s - early 70s It's been in the loft for over 30 years, so I cannot remember if I moved the reels or the reel strips? but it seems to pay out on the bells and plums. The jackpots are Concords. It should pay out two old 5ps on one Cherry or one Concord, but pays out for old 5ps. Other than moving the reels or strips, I have not removed anything else, this I am 100% sure of. What is the best way to reset the wheels so the machine pays out the right amounts?
Last edited by greg1 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If it pays out on some combinations correctly, it's unlikely the reels are in the wrong position, as all payouts are linked. Much more likely one or two payout slides are sticking or have a coin stuck in them stopping them from firing. Remove the payout tube, then the slide top, then each slide, keeping them in order. Check the springs and clean the slides - do not use any lubricant at all - just clean and polish; replace in the same order. Operate the machine and check for the three definite clicks during the cycle. First the slides retract and click into position, second the payout fingers hit the reel plates and third the slides release and slam home. If that all works and still no payout we can look again. Photos please... we love photos. :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I see Coppinpr has beaten me to it, but I'll still post mine anyway.

Before we go the lengthy written description of what to check and how it works in order to see whether the problem actually is the reel strips or reel bundle itself.
It might only be dried grease defeating weak springs, or an escaped coin fouling something, or a missing spring blah, blah.

Force one of the lower payouts that are not performing and take a photo of the vertical fingers that clunk across into the payout disks. That's from the right hand side looking at the mech from the front. They're near the top.

If the payout symbols on the front are right but the fingers can't access holes in the payout disks, then yes you have got them out of sequence.

If that is your issue you need to search the payout discs for the jackpot payout, which allows the correct finger to penetrate all three disks. Then look at the front and if the symbols are wrong, that's when you start moving reel strips to match. If you have more than one jackpot combination then you need check Melons as well as Bars.

If it's not, then the photos will help.

BP
raj

Post by raj »

Another option may be that the whole bundle is set too far away from the payout fingers, thus allowing the 1 cherry finger to move too far, therefore tripping the second payout slide. I can't remember how the reel rod is secured, but Aristo's can be upset like this if the rod is too tight/loose. Hope this makes sense.....
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

I agree with raj, the "pay 2" lever is moving too far in.
greg1

Post by greg1 »

Thanks for your replies, There are six payout fingers. Should one finger go through the disc for three bells, plums etc. or more than one? If so, what is the sequence? The main payouts are Concords, bells, plums, oranges. All the payout slides seem to work OK apart from when it pays out 4 coins instead of 2.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

One finger for each combination. The fingers release increasing payouts (number of slides) the closer they are to the hub.

The cherry finger is different from the rest. When it goes through the first hole but is blocked by the reel 2 disk, it releases just the first (bottom) slide. When it goes through both holes in the first and second reel disks, it releases the bottom two slides. So if the finger is positioned too far off the disk, it could be moving far enough to release the two slides on just the first hole. It could be damaged, of course.
greg1

Post by greg1 »

I have cleaned and polished the payout slides. They are numbered so I cannot get it wrong. If the jackpot is working and the jackpot combinations (i.e. one above or below) payout, should all the others follow suit? I am having problems with my internet connection so if I do not reply this is why.
Attachments
IMG_0234a.jpg
IMG_0240a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If the only payout failing is the two coin and if both 2 coin combinations are failing it pretty much has to be the problem OB and the others have mentioned. In case it's not clear what causes this, I'll work through it step by step (it's hard to get your head round a slot mech at first, I know).

The problem is most likely one of two things:
(1) The reel bundle is sitting too far to the left when viewed from the front, or
(2) There is a problem with spacing between the payout discs, although this second one is less likely.

As OB says, the fingers that work the 2 payout are the only ones doing two jobs (the 2 and the 4 payouts). When the vertical finger comes forward to pay a 2 coin it passes through the first payout disc and hits the second, a movement of about 1cm. If it's going to pay the 4 coin, the hole in the second disc will also line up allowing the finger to go through both discs (a movement of about 3cm). This causes the lower finger to move further, tripping a second 2 coin slide along with the first.

So the most likely reason for the fail is that the reel bundle is too far to the left, allowing the finger to move too far when paying 2, and thus tripping the second slide, or, less likely, the gap between discs one and two is too great, also allowing the finger to go too far when trying to pay 2.
The least likely option (and this is not really an option but is worth checking) is that the second disc has been altered and has been drilled to allow a 4 pay on a 2 combo. This is easily checked by setting up a 2 win and looking to see if the finger goes through one disc or two. If two, then the disc has been changed and the extra hole needs to be filled in.

Can we see a photo of fingers and payout discs following a 2 payout?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

From what it says on the front of your machine, three Concords in a row pays a variable jackpot up to 100 coins; three Concords anywhere in the window pays 10. A photo with the door open would help us to see.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If three Concordes anywhere in the window pays 10, then ensuring the reels are in the right order is easy.
On each of the payout reels each Concorde will match a slot for below another for being on line and a third for above the line.

So look for three slots in succession on each disc and the middle one will be Concorde on the line.
greg1

Post by greg1 »

One step forward two back. It's now paying out 12 coins on the jackpot which I think could be if the jackpot tubes are empty, and 10 on all the other Concord combos, but now it does not pay out on bells plums or oranges. When one of the fingers go through all the discs another one will also go through the first disc. Can anyone post pictures of the correct position of the disc and payout fingers for the bells, plums, oranges please.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Can anyone post pictures of the correct position of the disc and payout fingers for the bells, plums, oranges please.
Well actually..no, things vary a lot between machines. Photos of our machines might help or they might do more harm than good. Usually the payouts get higher the further you get from the edge of the disc. What we need is photos of your discs when the reels say 3 bells and 3 plums, etc. The jackpot could be working right if, as you say, the jackpot is empty. The "anywhere in the window" will pay from slides and the "jackpot" will pay from the jackpot unit, but until we can see a photo with the door open we can't say what jackpot unit we have here. We need photos (we love photos). :cool:
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Whenever Greg gets his internet back.... it may be of more benefit for him to tell us where he is and hopefully he is close to someone who could offer to help him with his issue or if he can wait till the Coventry auction? You may be lucky and there's a lovely fully working Jubilee Concorde in the auction? You could swap the mechanism for yours whilst no one's looking. If you are near or passing Manchester.. I can bash it with my trusted pliers to within an inch of its life free of charge and hopefully have it sorted for you.

GP
greg1

Post by greg1 »

The machine pays out 12 coins + one of the jackpot tubes on 3 Concords, I have lined up the holes in the disc which pays out the Concords then lined up the reel strips, but when I forced the jackpot payout they did not line up. I have not secured the reel strips, so it may be possible they moved while spinning. Also, I'm a bit confused - in an earlier post it said the nearer the hub, the bigger the payout. The last post says the further away from the hub, the higher the payout? I have added pictures. If someone can look and tell me if nearer or further away from the hub pays out the largest amount? If I set the reel strips with the jackpot payout, will all the other payouts also be in line?
Attachments
IMG_0241a.jpg
IMG_0242a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

..... as I believe I said in an earlier post ......(perhaps I didn't - or it only made sense to me !PUZZLED! )

Line up those three discs with the three slots for the Concorde jackpot in line with the correct vertical finger and then look at the window. If you don't see 3 Concordes on the win line then the reel strips have been moved and need realigning.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Usually the payouts get higher the further you get from the edge of the disc.
I think you will find this is the same as the earlier post - the nearer the centre the higher the payout.

It LOOKS like the three Concords in a row slot is the one above the triple slot (which is the "anywhere in the window" payout). You need to get the correct finger to go through that single slot and the same slot in the other two discs, then while it is locked in that position, line up the reel strips so the three Concords show in the payout window at the front. Note that this only works if there is only one Concord on each strip.

This is the same as what BP is trying to say but he has trouble with long words like disc and gets confused. He even spelt Concord in the French way.
greg1

Post by greg1 »

thanks coppinpr think its just clicked, what I need to do, will give this a ago at the weekend, and let you know, to be honest with people hitting the machine with a sledge hammer and bashing things with pliers I thought I would have to try a forum for the lower classes, but at last found someone on the same wave length, being a novice things take time to get through, so thanks for your time and patience.