Painting chrome - a new idea

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
coppinpr

Painting chrome - a new idea

Post by coppinpr »

We have talked about the problems and lack of success using so called chrome sprays before - truth is they are not much good. You can get reasonable results when used in places that you're never going to touch but even then it tends to go dull.
I've been trying out something new (to me anyway). It has limits. This will, I think, only work on quite small areas.
Really good quality Aluminium brush on paint seems to work very well. (It's so thin it leaves no brush marks yet covers in one coat).
The colour match is remarkably good, it's shiny and it wears well.
I took some photos but to be honest they don't do it justice. In the photo, the chrome on the top of the piece was worn completely away and the face not too bad but pitted. The top has been painted with aluminium paint and face left chrome. The dark line near the top of the face is reflection from the flash and is on the original chrome. Like I said, the photos don't do it justice.
Anyway, only a small tip, but it does work on small areas.
al paint 2.jpg

widget2k4

Re: painting chrome, a new idea

Post by widget2k4 »

Nice tip mate.
If that's a flicker off a R & W machine, I just polished all the chrome off mine and highly polished the alloy underneath, but that's no good if you're wanting it to look original.
coppinpr

Re: Painting chrome - a new idea

Post by coppinpr »

yes its the flicker of my R&W "Hat Trick"
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

lovely machine :) i was trying to get it but you beat me to it, i ended up with the earth satellite :)
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Did you have to use any primer? Ive never had great success with painting chrome, I found paint can be chinked off at the slightest knock and also pin holes can form on the surface, so your tip could be very handy in the future.