Jubilee bandit identification

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
malcymal

Jubilee bandit identification

Post by malcymal »

Hi, this is my first post on here so please be gentle. Can any of your gurus identify this bandit for me :-o . Im picking it up tomorrow, its my first bandit ever so very excited. I was wondering what age it is, whether it is has a model number, e.g. Mk1, Mk2 etc. Thank you, and nice to be here, mal :)
john t peterson

Re: Newbie Signs In - Help to identify one armed bandit

Post by john t peterson »

Hello Mal,
Let me be the first to welcome you to the site. I know nothing about slots so I cannot help you with the information you seek but I can vouch for the erudite leanings and kind nature of the folks who frequent Pennymachines. Other than one obnoxious American who polluted the site some time back with a desire to learn how to cheat the slots, I cannot think of unkind comments coming forth on these electronic pages. I now leave it to the slottie experts to answer your questions.

Kind regards,

John Peterson
Pennymachines, USA contingent.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Why thank you John, much appreciated. Ive dipped my toes into the bandit market and no doubt will be hooked, as i am with my jap coin operated pachislos (4 in total). Ive been fascinated by the mechanics of these babies and remember playing them when a small kid on the piers in the UK. This one in the photo im picking up tomorrow and intend to take it very slow in understanding how it works, buying slightly blind so crossing fingers on its condition; hoping this forum will help me. I hear the machine is in very good order, but would love to know the approximate age, what model it is etc. Thanks all, look forward to hearing from you and any info. you can kindly offer me. Malc : )
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi Mal .......
Welcome to the site.
Your bandit is a Jubilee, I have heard them referred to as a Mk1. I'm not sure if they actually were ever called a Mk1, or whether we enthusiasts called them that to differentiate them from the later versions of this machine that came out from Jubilee.
The later ones didn't have the badges down the side and often had one large plexi window instead of the double jackpot.

Jubilee were an Australian company, I've had a couple of those over the years, and always thought them to be wel made and rubust. Well done on your purchase and welcome to the world of slot collecting.

Badpenny
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

..............ooops, you asked the age, I don't know exactly as they don't carry plaques but I'd say early to mid 60's
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Welcome Malcymal to the Forum that contain many answers, not always the ones you want or wish to hear, but albeit very valuable to the slot collector, it's good to see new blood arriving.

Unfortunately I know very little about bandits but there are members here who have a wealth of knowledge in this field and will no doubt come out of hibernation (or the pub) and respond to your query.

If you are becoming interested in this field of collecting consider subscribing to the Mechanical Memories Magazine, an excellant monthly publication (click the Archive link on the left, go to the bottom right hand drawer of the chest).

regards

Richard

Ah.......... just scrolled down and seen that Badpenny has already answered.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

This is an Australian machine. The Jubilee trademark was owned by a company called Nutt and Muddle, who were the only significant local competition for Aristocrat until the latter company took them over in about 1980. This one was made for export, as it has fruits instead of the card symbols more popular in Australia, and I guess from the styling that it's early 1960s, as if it was the late 1960s it would be a Riviera cabinet. I think you will find the mechanism closely resembles Sega and Mills machines of the 60s and many parts will be interchangeable.

Incidentally the Jubilee name still lives; Aristocrat uses it for a sub-division that refurbishes used machines.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Well thank you all, i feel really welcome. I will let you know how i get on with the bandit, picking it up at midday tomorrow from Brighton in England. There were two piers in Brighton which were Victorian. These machines were dominant on the piers, i remember playing on them in the 70's, im now 42 and was about 8 years old at the time. It all sums up a fantastic era, these machines conjur up all the fun you used to have as a youngster and going to the sea side was full of mystery. Trouble with coin up stuff, you start off with one item and then the addiction kicks in ending up with many machines. I bought a pachislo from Japan after going on (pachitalk.com) and now have four. You guys and gals might lead me into a lot of trouble with my wife when i start viewing your interesting coinop memoribilia. Once again, thanks for the kind words and your already hugely useful advice. Malc :cool:
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Take a look at this great picture ... 3 of the British Lions rugby league team
Heh heh, I can't help noticing that these sportsmen are not only smoking, but unashamed of it. How politically incorrect! It reminds me of this Onion article.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Operator Bell wrote:This is an Australian machine. The Jubilee trademark was owned by a company called Nutt and Muddle .................Incidentally the Jubilee name still lives; Aristocrat uses it for a sub-division that refurbishes used machines.
Thanks for that Operator B. a few things I didn't know. Nutt & Muddle!!!!! what fantastic names, wouldn't you just love to see that signwritten in copperplate on the side of a wagon? :twisted:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Ah, what great pictures, thanks!. I wondered if they took it outside in the car park afterwards when it took all their money??
I think 'Nutt and Muddle' are fantastic names for yet another detective series, "We are Nutt and Muddle, youre nicked son!"