Ace Ring a Bell identified

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
twinotter

Ace Ring a Bell identified

Post by twinotter »

I recently purchased this machine called Ring a Bell. I don't know anything about this machine so I thought maybe someone would know something about it. Where to get manuals and such, maybe explain to me how it works.

I am unable to post a pic at the moment as it is on my phone and this forum doesn't seem to work on mobile devices.

Thank you,
twinotter
coppinpr

Re: Ring a bell

Post by coppinpr »

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure we can help, we do of course need some help, as only BP has second sight. Do you know the maker, date, coinage? A photo :cool: might not be easy but will bring results. You could upload the photo to one of the free hosting sites and then either download it here or post a link so we can go take a look.
twinotter

Post by twinotter »

The machine was made by The Liverpool Automatic Machine Company, probably in the seventies, it uses quarters.

Here are the pics
Attachments
Ring a bell2.jpg
Ring a bell1.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Although this machine fits into this forum because its definitely electro-mechanical, rather than all electric, it is very late in our date bracket (close to 1980?). I like it but it's too late for me, however I'm guessing The Liverpool Automatic Machine Company might be a distributor rather than a maker (the site gurus will correct me I'm sure) and running on quarters is very odd. Are you sure it's not meant to take old shillings?
twinotter

Post by twinotter »

I am not too sure about the Shillings - I am from Canada, the machine originally was 220V but now runs on 120V. I just figured it worked with quarters because I put a quarter in it and the 1 play light illuminated. I was not able to get it to work though. My guess it is '70s.

Hopefully someone on here can recognize the machine and shed some light/history on it, even better if someone has schematics or a manual.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I think this was made by A.C.E.
I one like it in the local pub about 1973 ish ??? I think that one also paid out in tokens.. :D
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If you're in Canada and it's on 110v then quarters is likely correct. You say it will not work? Can you tell us what happens when you put a coin in? Have you bypassed the coin entry to see if that's the problem? Any chance of photos of the insides? Please be careful, there are going to be plenty of electrical gremlins in there waiting to bite you. :shock:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes it is an ACE machine, you can see the Club symbol on the lower part of the front panel. I suspect it is on 2 pence play, looking at the coin entry size and payouts, which are 4p, 6p, 8p and 20p......would have been old money probably as I would guess dates from very early 70's or late 60's
twinotter

Post by twinotter »

I haven't done much testing on it, but when I put a quarter in it, the 1p light illuminates. When I rotate the lever on the front panel, the transformer hums but the reels do not spin. Like I said I have not done much testing on it, everything seems to be there some wires are cut/disconnected which is why I was looking for a diagram.