The Wonders List

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
daveslot

Re: The Wonders List

Post by daveslot »

Looks familiar.
It's spelt Plioneer - Wonders humour, l presume.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Well, that's one I have never seen before. But. they are like buses and no doubt they will turn up at various auction houses from tomorrow. :D
polaris

Post by polaris »

I bought a new machine last night. It should arrive sometime this week. It was on ebay and I would imagine, like me, a few people would have recognised it was unmistakably a Wonders cabinet and mech. What sealed it for me though was the small clue at back of the artwork where it appears the original backflash is still in place (I will be more certain when it arrives). Although not on the list here (another one for Mr PM to add), I would say it is a Supreme Cup, a picture of which can be found in Resources. It's a shame about the Jet Play flash but another one to the collection :D . While on the subject, did Wonders, like Bryans, ever number their machines? I only ask as resto at the moment marked on the inside and the edge of the door, maybe by an operator??
$_57.jpg

P1030710a.jpg

P1030706a.jpg

bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

!SHERLOCK! Nice work Sherlock!

I bought a card giving "Palmist" Fortune teller, many years ago, which had three previous art works behind the current one. Which was a nice surprise.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here's a Supreme Cup gleaned from another thread.
supreme.jpg

Like Widget's allwin (below) and Polaris' new machine, it has a simple plate coin slot (rather than the cast 1D slot, typical of Wonders), which helps to confirm this model was made before they produced that casting. I've added it to the list and look forward to seeing the restored machine. !THUMBS!
Attachments
Widget's Supreme Cup
Widget's Supreme Cup
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Nice looking machine. Way too far for me, but the Olly Whales backflash is a much nicer theme, if in good condition, unlike most. Maybe best to leave, as it looks great. !!THUMBSX2!!
polaris

Post by polaris »

I agree treefrog, the Jet Play backflash is attractive and I will at some point scan and tidy it for Resources. Wonders machines have more appeal for me personally though - I'm on a mission to collect them. :)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Another version of Wonders 24 Cup
Attachments
72.jpg
polaris

Post by polaris »

I started restoration on Supreme Cup and wondered if anyone who has one of these can help me out with some pictures of the backboard and mechanism. Mine appears to be a crudely made replacement and I would like to redo it closer to the original. Like the one pictured (gleaned from another thread), it has an extra hole maybe for a free ball, unlike widget's example which does not. I'm trying to make sense of mine as the hole is blocked and maybe of no use?
Attachments
P1030769.JPG
polaris

Post by polaris »

Face the Music - another new one to add to list.
Attachments
original.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

So I take it with this one you try and keep filling the central reserve hole with up to four balls to win the various FACE payouts?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Music practice - what an offbeat theme! !PUZZLED!
The mechanics of the game mean the actual notes 'F-A-C-E' are shown in reverse order.
Like many late Wonders, it has really big payouts.
Attachments
FACE.jpg
FACE.jpg (5.33 KiB) Viewed 5952 times
polaris

Post by polaris »

Gameswat wrote:So I take it with this one you try and keep filling the central reserve hole with up to four balls to win the various FACE payouts?
I would think that's possibly the case Gameswat, perhaps along similar lines to Win and Place. It sold at auction today so maybe purchased by someone here. £330 +commission. I would have bought if I was closer but was another £100 delivery, so too expensive.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

It looks like there is a reserve hole at the far left of the gallery in addition to the central one. Could it be that one reserve feeds two notes and the other reserve feeds the other two notes? !PUZZLED!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Saw this one recently, mentioned in Mr PM's original list, Bucket and Ball in late case. I presume the ball bounces into the win off the rubber stops.
Attachments
wonders bucket & ball.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Mostly it doesn't, but that's the idea. The bumpers aren't very bouncy. I've thought about replacing them with super ball rubber to see if that gives the punter half a chance.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Interesting solution.
Let us know how you get on with that Mr P.
Possibly they make Super Balls differently nowadays, but I believe in the 60s they were highly compressed while the rubber was still pliant. If they split they distorted.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Pm, I've had the same issue with a number of machines that have balls bouncing around on them somewhere. And quite often with unique rubbers specially formed for the purpose and now made of Unobtanium. I've had great success by carefully wearing away the outer layer of hardened rubber that was exposed to UV and atmosphere, to expose the softer rubber core underneath. Sometimes that meant making jigs to bolt the rubbers onto so I could turn them at speed in a drill or lathe and carefully sandpaper down. Definitely worth trying if you covet originality, prob not your bag though? !!>*<!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Keep forgetting to add pictures when they come up, but this one on eBay is not linked to the "Wonders list".

Odd that on the graphics the only words have been chopped by the ball track. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
IMG_0318.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Thanks for posting that TF - if you hadn't, I would have. ;-)
I've been waiting years to see the Jack-In-A-Box - it was advertised as new in 1965 and may be the last Wonders I've not seen. That's not to say there aren't more I haven't heard of. Odd, as you say, they obscured the name with the ball track.

I didn't notice immediately - the 'jackpot' is behind a small window in Jack's box. Looking at the mechanism, this appears to be a pocket of coins behind the flash. A ball in the top cup releases the 12-coin (?) slide, but apparently no illusion of paying from the pot was attempted.
Attachments
jackinabox2.jpg
jackinabox-mech.jpg