Metal fronted mystery cigarette skill game

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
john t peterson

Metal fronted mystery cigarette skill game

Post by john t peterson »

Put down those beers, lads and put on your thinking caps. Attached is the picture of a game crying for identification. Is it English? French? The instructions are in English and the coin entry about the size of an American nickel although the slide itself is larger, more like our quarter. How's that for a puzzler? If anyone comes up with the manufacturer and date, they will get :*** "Wonder-Boy of The Week" :*** designation. Is it YOU? All entries must be submitted right here. Just for the record, I do not own this machine nor is it being offered for sale. Sharpen those pencils and get your entry in today!

Your faithful American correspondent,

John T. Peterson
Attachments
Unkwn__Mfr__'CLOWN_&_DOG'_Coin_Flip_1-1.jpg
john t peterson

Re: CAST IRON FRONT MYSTERY MACHINE

A tiny bit of more information: The writing on the upper panel says,

"PLACE PENNY IN SLOT YOUR SKILL WILL BE REWARDED WITH A CIGARETTE AND COIN BACK"

Good luck.

JTP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Well John - I've no more clue to the manufacturer than you, but I can add some pieces to the puzzle.
I once bought one (from an auction at Saffron Walden) and wondered if it was British or American. In style I think it has more in common with U.S. trade stimulators than most British skill games which usually adopted the wall-machine format. However, as it has "PLACE PENNY IN SLOT" cast into the metal and it is clearly not designed to work with the little American penny, we can safely conclude it was made in the U.K. The single cigarette as prize was very popular in Britain between the wars and later. I believe I've seen one other example. It's possible they're now more common in the States, because I sold mine on eBay and it went to a well-known American collector.
Attachments
CigSkill.jpg
john t peterson

Mr. Pennymachines, you are amazing! Is there a British game that has not passed through your hands or under your steely gaze? I think you should be designated a "National Treasure" like they do in Japan. Of course, this would entail placing you in a large glass display case.........
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

I have always assumed these are British, they certainly look it. They are not that rare - I have owned two in the past and I know where there are two more.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Metal fronted mystery cigarette skill game

Post by pennymachines »

Supporting Dave's claim - two more: one from Bob in Australia and one from the Elephant House auction last year.
Attachments
Single Cig Skill Game.JPG
120a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If it helps the flowers in the background are big daisies. !SMARTY!
john t peterson

And the dog breed???
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I don't think it is breeding, just hopping about a bit ...........
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Interesting, hit the clown in his face with a penny and win a cig, if the penny hits him below the belt you have lost, and the clown is already holding his goolies! :HaHa:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Picked this up the other day. Only know of one other in Aust but probably a few more lurking. Both examples missing the coin flick lever so must've been a weak point. And this one missing those two wings on the side. Happy to add something new to the collection as been just over a year since I've bought a machine. Interesting to see so many variations with the paint work.
Attachments
cig shooter.JPG
cig shooter rhd.JPG
cig shooter mech.JPG
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I'm just about to get stuck into restoring this one, plus another example in Aust a friend has. But both are missing the flip lever. Does anybody have one they can photograph up close to show the exact shape and design so I can copy please!?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I do like the picture painted on the inside of the back of the case, can't imagine why though. !PUZZLED!
hottoddy

Stacey's Auction

Post by hottoddy »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I noticed an interesting coin operated cigar dispenser skill game in Stacey's Auction this week. Did anyone else see this machine? Is it cast iron, sheet metal? What/Who manufactured it? !PUZZLED!
Attachments
2143_1.JPG
gameswat

Re: Stacey's Auction

Post by gameswat »

Thread merged above with topic linked by Gameswat - Site Admin.
hottoddy

Re: Stacey's Auction

Post by hottoddy »

Thank you Mr. Gameswat, That's the one. !!CHEERS!!
anglobritish

Post by anglobritish »

I think you will find it was made by Bert Firman in Nottingham in the 1930's, My new book that is coming out in November 2014 shows many original flyers from companies in the U.S. Britain, France and Germany, it also shows machines being produced in many of the factories in those countries, it is designed for collectors to identify such machines, 85% of the flyers and pictures in the book has never been published in any other book since the 1930's. if anybody as an interest in this book, I can be reached at anglobritish@aol.com Since I announced the availability of the book two days ago, I have orders for more than 40 books already.

Freddy Bailey
P.S. Your machine in the pictures may have been the mysterious Odd Clod machine purported to be made by Bryan's of Kegworth, just a thought.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

anglobritish wrote:My new book that is coming out in November 2014
That's great news Freddy - I look forward to reading it.
anglobritish wrote:I think you will find it was made by Bert Firman in Nottingham in the 1930's
That's interesting. Is there something in the book to confirm this or are you going from memory? It's always good when we can positively identify the maker of some of these more obscure games.
anglobritish wrote:P.S. Your machine in the pictures may have been the mysterious Odd Clod machine purported to be made by Bryan's of Kegworth
Which machine are you referring to? !PUZZLED!
I have seen what may be the only surviving Odd Clod, which belongs to a collector in Liverpool.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Finally found a little spare time to work on this machine. And discovered a nice feature I hadn't spotted. The hat can be adjusted to open or close the winning hole, depending on how cheap the operator wanted to be! And notice the clown has a face - eye, nose and lips.
Attachments
clowncig hat casting.jpg
Liberal Party
Liberal Party
Conservative Party
Conservative Party
john t peterson

Ha, ha, ha, Gameswat. Good to see both parties described as clowns. Same here in the US.

J Peterson
Observer of clownish behavior in America