Caille / Clement & Whales Countertop disc machines

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
rick

Caille / Clement & Whales Countertop disc machines

Post by rick »

I'm trying to find anyone that has a Caille Ben Hur to get a recast of their marquee. Here is a photo of the marquee I'm looking for. Actually, I need two of them. I know another collector that's looking for one also.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Tit for Tat

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Rick,

I have a Caille Ben Hur marquee that I could recast for you...
But do you know where I can get the disc and marquee paperwork?
Have these been professionally reprinted in the US? Or maybe a high res. scan from an original.
rick

Post by rick »

Not yet I don't. I need them also. Someone repainted my disc and changed it from symbols to colors. When I find something I'll let you know. Until then I'll make something up and stick it in the marquee.
I would like to get two copies of your marquee cast in iron, brass, or bronze. I'll get them plated here in Oklahoma City. Do you have a good foundry in your area. If not, I'm using one here in the states that seems to be pretty good and reasonable in their prices. If you can, let me know how much before we do anything. I'm on a tight budget.
I'm understanding your marquee is the same as the one in the picture I posted? I'd love to see a photo of your machine. I just picked this one up and am new to the wheel machines. Like to see all the different examples that are out there.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here it is.
I can get it cast locally (I'd be reluctant to post the original anywhere).
I'll pm you with the price when I know it. May be some time though.
I'd suggest brass as a good choice if you intend to plate it.

Also, if anyone else needs this casting please say so now.

This early Caille countertop seems to have been the pattern for later British types - Commercials and Greyhounds etc. See Museum (shortly!).
Attachments
Caille Ben Hur
Caille Ben Hur
benHur.jpg (21.73 KiB) Viewed 20427 times
clockwork

Post by clockwork »

Any thoughts on this Caille machine?
Attachments
0997_1_md.jpg
0997_1_md.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 20421 times
rick

Post by rick »

Clockwork,
Did you recently get this off ebay? I love the way the wheel is displayed. That is a beautiful machine. There is another collector over here that is looking for a casting of the marquee on you machine also. Would you be willing to get yours recast?
rick

Post by rick »

PennyMachines

Thanks for posting a picture of your Caille for me.
Brass will be fine for the casting. Depending on the price, I'm pretty sure I'll take at least 2 copies. If the price is good I might go for 2 more.
If you ever decide to redo your wheel and put the symbols back on it please let me know. I'd like to swap wheels with you. Yours looks a lot better than mine does.
Here is a picture of my machine.
Attachments
IMG_1062-for-web.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Caille Marquee .......

Post by badpenny »

....... errr ...... can we make that three please? I need one too. I've tried Woolworth's, Tesco's even MacFisheries but had no luck. Seems like anyone who has one could be on to a nice little earner. I can just imagine the messages on this site in a year's time commenting on all the Caille Marquees that have suddenly started appearing on E-Bay !!!
Badpenny.
rick

25-Stop vs 50-Stop Countertop Wheel Machines

Post by rick »

Is there a difference in value or collectability between a 25-Stop and a 50-Stop countertop wheel machine? Here are two machines in my collection that I'm working on. Thinking of selling one when I get finished but not sure which one I want to let go.
Attachments
2cailles.jpg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

I think they were all originally 50 stop mechs, but when the teeth on the disc wore down during their use, they were often converted to 25 stop so that the stop mechanism latched in firmly to the larger 25 tooth slots. If this is right, then the original 50 stop is preferable as it is untouched.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The great granddaddy of these countertop spinning disc 5 way betting machines is Paupa & Hochriem's Columbia of 1897. Mills Novelty Co. Owl Junior followed in 1899. This was so successful a host of other manufacturers got in on the act. Caille Bros. Co. Ben Hur and Our Baby and Watling's The Big Four were some of them, and Mills brought out new models like the Brownie.

Clement And Whales originally imported and distributed Cailles to UK operators hungry for gambling machines. As I understand it, finding the demand for the Caille Commercial was so great in Britain, they started making their own. I think it was at this point that the 50 stop mechanism was reduced to 25. Most Clement and Whales Greyhounds seem to be 25 stops. This might also explain the number of faulty, non-working examples of these games that are around. It would appear that Clement and Whales did not manufacture to the same engineering tolerances as their US counterparts.

Old-time operators have said that many of these machines didn't work from new, but they were such good money takers, they'd buy a batch in the hope that some would be OK.

The Caille mechanisms have Caille part numbers stamped on them, so if these can be found on any 25 stop mechs I guess my theory needs revising.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've just picked up the castings (at last).

They are in brass and require polishing and plating, two drill holes for fitting onto your coin acceptor and two tapped holes on the back to hold a backplate in place.
If anyone wants one, please let me know by email (below).

Price:
£55.00 including postage in the UK
$123.00 including postage to the USA
Attachments
Caille_Top.jpg
Caille_Top.jpg (13.32 KiB) Viewed 10861 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Got mine !!!

Post by badpenny »

Thank you for rushing my super Caille top casting to me. I am now the first in my street to own one and am now the envy of all my friends and family who are constantly amazed by it.
Badpenny
ashford_dave

Tote style machine any info!

Post by ashford_dave »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Can anyone tell me anything about this machine, manufacturer year and so on...

Dave.
PS. the coin jam has been cleared!
Attachments
IMG_0295.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I have it marked down as a Clement & Whales 25 stop Commercial circa '30s, often referred to as a Caille Commercial in recognition of its origins in the Ben Hur and earlier Caille roulettes.
I've joined your query to the ongoing Clement & Whales thread which contains more info about your machine.
ashford_dave

Post by ashford_dave »

Many thanks, Just the sort of info I was after!

I just picked this up off my aunt...

Dave
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

........................ did it fall on top of her?
ashford_dave

Post by ashford_dave »

My sides just split haha.......!
brianward

Caille Ben-Hur

Post by brianward »

Topic merged - Site admin.

Hello to all.

Can anyone tell me a little more about this particular Caille machine I recently purchased. It plays and pays great. I have attached a picture.

brian
Attachments
011.JPG
operator bell

Re: Caille Ben-Hur

Post by operator bell »

Well we know roughly what it's worth - this one (pictured) sold at last weekend's VCA auction for $3,200 ($3,890 including premium and tax). The catalog description was "1906 Caille one wheel Ben Hur style Slot Machine Iron & Oak, restored and working". It has more elaborate graphics on the wheel than your simple colors - I've seen another like it.
Attachments
ben-hur.jpg