Southport Pier crap machines

General vintage slot machine related topics.
glittering-prize67

Southport Pier crap machines

Post by glittering-prize67 »

I went on holiday recently to Southport. Saw some old machines on the pier and they were bad. Who puts machines out that don't even have reel strips on? I played on three and none worked. One did not play at all; one took my money but did not work and the one that did work did not pay on a win. Poor machines, badly maintained. I would not bother again. If my machines looked and worked like that I would bin them. Shame on the owner. I was not happy. :evil:
chris roadhog

Re: Southport pier crap machines

Post by chris roadhog »

A couple walked into my last arcade exhibition and said "these old penny arcades are a rip off." I asked why. The man said they had been to Southport Pier, changed a pound and nothing worked! After a brief explanation that Clive Baker had built up a great place but was no longer connected, I gave them both 10 pennies each. I said, "try my machines and let me know if you have any problems." About half an hour later they came to me and asked if they could pay me for the pennies and handed me back a handful of small prizes. They returned the next day with grand kids and said it's the best fun they had for years, It's a shame Southport Pier arcade is so crap, but it's been like it since Clive left - just gives the job a bad name!
jimmycowman

Re: Southport Pier crap machines

Post by jimmycowman »

Where is your exhibition Mr. Roadhog? /\UK/\ . What we need is for Jingle to throw them in the sea and take his collection there (when he's better). What a place on the map then **xXx** !!CHEERS!!
glittering-prize67

If I had a place like Southport Pier I would fill it with my machines. Mine work and are in good condition. And give the public fun for value. This arcade if you can call it that is letting the side down.
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

My exhibition is called Old Penny Memories and has been pleasing people since 1996. Currently in storage but that nice Slotalot man posted a vid somewhere on here? God, I wish I was technical. !PUZZLED!

Video inserted - Site Admin.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

There have been a few people who have tried to make a go at the old amusements at the end of Southport pier since Clive Baker.
Sadly the high rates that the local council charges, has seen their ventures fail.
I guess the husband and wife team who own the current machines will soon be on their way out if they cannot maintain them.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Here is one for the slottie history book :o
The day Clive left Southport Pier :oops:
Attachments
clive1a.jpg
glittering-prize67

Why did Clive give it up? Was it just not making money or was the council too greedy as usual and forcing out small operators :!?!:
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

It's a labour of love. In the right position you could scratch a living, but then you have to compete for a site. Then you have to jump through hoops to satisfy local licensing authorities, then there's planning issues, insurance, business rates and set up costs. Good luck to anyone brave enough to have a go!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

slotalot wrote:Here is one for the slottie history book :o
The day Clive left Southport Pier :oops:
Good to see the trailer pulling Clive along. :lol: