Complete newbie

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
neo

Complete newbie

Post by neo »

Hi all,

I've always been interested in anything coin operated, and as i haven't got the space anymore for rebuilding cars, i thought i'd get into something i can do on the kitchen table...... the missus won't let me work on engines on her antique oak dining table but i may get away with small 1 arm bandits / allwins etc!

Can anyone recommend any decent books which give ideas of what machines to look out for, where the best place to buy them is etc??

Obviously being a complete novice, i won't be spending out hundreds on a mega collectable item, but looking for some old crapper that i can bring back to life!

I'm an engineer by trade, so mechanisms, machining etc shouldn't be much of a problem :oops:

Great site btw, some damn tasty machines out there!

Thanks in advance for any replies

Dan
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Complete newbie

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Dan and welcome.

THE slot machine collector's Bible is Paul Braithwaite's little Arcades & Slot Machines. Currently it's out of stock and out of print but I think you can still obtain copies from Jumper Books or Joyland Books.

It's a buyer's market at the moment and as an engineer you're in a great position to get some bargain "junkers" and turn them back into treasures. Most of us who've been collecting for a few years have amassed a surplus of machines in this category with noble intentions of fixing them up. Auctions are where they tend to get thrown back into the pool. Keep an eye on the Calendar.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hi Dan and welcome to the world of slots.

I would recommend a thorough trawl through this site, read the comments and info, check out all the other item tags on the left, such as the archive section, library, museum etc. and then decide where you want to start. A very good website to also look at is one by Melvyn Wright at http://www.melright.com/slots

There are often 'old crappers' on ebay (as well as some good machines) and I have often seen advice on this Forum relating to issues and questions regarding ebay machines. There are a number of very knowledgeable collectors on this site who are very helpful some of whom have a wicked sense of humour and I am surprised that they have not yet picked up on your comment about "getting into something I can do on the kitchen table" !!

Also check out Mechanical Memories Magazine via the Archive link on the left. A great little mag for the collector.

Happy collecting

Richard
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I am surprised that they have not yet picked up on your comment about "getting into something I can do on the kitchen table" !! ............

Believe me I am in more than enough trouble at the moment without inviting criticism, or hell and damnation upon myself through pointing out such heavenly delights.

It's a pity some of our newer devotees didn't get along to last Sunday's auction at Sarratt, for the first time in ages we had half a dozen bandits that fell into the "Bargain Corner" description going for well under a ton a piece.
neo

Post by neo »

Cheers for the replies chaps.

Just ordered that book you mentioned, give me something to read while the other half is watching x-factor or whatever crap is on the box :D

Think there was a show at Brighton a couple of weeks back, but missed out on that one.

If anyone in the south east has anything cheap and chearful to offload let me know!

Oh, btw Mr Admin........... your magazine subsciption page is playing up! Could have had £23 off me for beers if it was working :mrgreen:
JC

Post by JC »

Hello Dan, welcome to our wonderous hobby!
I'm the mug who publishes Mechanical Memories Magzine. Sorry to hear you've had problems subscribing via the link on this site - I'll see if site admin. can fix it. If you email me with your email address, I'll send you a Paypal invoice. In addition to the year's subscription, I'll also throw-in a catalgue from last Sundays auction together with a list of prices - should give you some idea of the £££££s you'll need to spend when buying a machine or starting a collection.

Jerry
neo

Post by neo »

Cheers Jerry, PM sent Image
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I was a complete newbie on here and these guys gave me all the answers. I have a jubilee Mk1 'Silver jubilee' double jackpot 6D machine, since seeing advice its now fully complete and working. It took me years to take the plunge, i just sat back on Ebay, waited for a bandit to come up near to home (well realisticly near) and was prepared to wait for the right price. I love my bandit and saving for number two. My wife actually loves it and its allowed to sit in the dining room ! everybody loves playing it too, a real talking point. Its also tweaked to run on new 5p pieces so collecting a fair quid towards the next machine, a bandit or an allwin. Welcome, and just get out there and get one..you wont regret it. Mechanical marvels, so much better than this electronic junk today.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

" My wife actually loves it and its allowed to sit in the dining room !"

Is it possible that this woman has a sister? In America??
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The MMM online subscription page is working again. Sorry about the delay!
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

John T. Peterson wrote:" My wife actually loves it and its allowed to sit in the dining room !"

Is it possible that this woman has a sister? In America??
I believe she does, but I saw her first.

Last night I mentioned to my wife that I might be getting another machine for the collection, and I offered to get rid of one to make room. Not only did she forbid the sale, but she started talking about how to rearrange the furniture to make space for the new one.
:***
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's the new propellant they put in hairspray, dreadful stuff, full of antiphoslypersatoxins causes all sorts of rational and logical behaviour in the female of the species .

I've rigged up a ringmain around the house to deliver the stuff from a massive tank in the cellar, if you want a copy of the plans?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Badpenny wrote
full of antiphoslypersatoxins causes all sorts of rational and logical behaviour in the female of the species
Yeh, awful stuff, I have been given to understand that it also causes impotence
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It certainly did in my father :?