New Look Website

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: New Look Website

Post by pennymachines »

13rebel wrote:Still the same,Mr PM
!!JUNK!!
Perhaps the new mini menu will solve this for you.
Click the little smartphone icon, top left of nav to engage mini menu:
Desktop menu
Desktop menu

Mini menu
Mini menu

Gameswat wrote:Only thing I don't like is that damn swinging screen image if you go too close to the left hand edge!!
There are usually consequences for going too close to the edge :!: but the Mini Menu should also save you from that, Gameswat. ;-)
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Thanks for trying Mr PM. Using that facility the clock hides most of the menu, the arena is just visible. Clicking on it brings up lots of colourful squiggly bits. Scrolling down I arrive at Arena but the same result - the last two EH not obtainable, now with a completely blank screen.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

OK 13rebel, I've had a few other reports of this problem, but in all other cases deleting cookies and deleting cache seems to have cured it.
Having tested on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Android, I can't replicate the issue, but I have a theory... :idea: and have made some changes based on this.
Please let me know if it worked.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Mr PM, your link takes me to Firefox - do I need to load Firefox (gulp!) As previously stated, I am on Windows Vista and Internet Explorer. I had previously emptied the cache. I enclose photos showing the page I get to delete cookies, browsing history etc, which has been clicked on. Having clicked on the smartphone I have lost the vertical blue bar on the left of the screen so am unable to access any of the sub menu - the blue bar shows for a second or two and then disappears. I am left with a white circle with two brown bars through it top left of screen which won't go away. :cry:

penny machines screen 1 004.JPG

photos of screen
Attachments
penny machines screen 1 012.JPG
penny machines screen 1 011.JPG
penny machines screen 1 010.JPG
penny machines screen 1 001.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hey Man 13rebel Dude ..........

Any chance you dropped some bad Acid back in the day?
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Hey BP, yeah man, really bad trip, must be still flying after all dem years.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Sorry about that bad scene man. Let's see...
13rebel wrote:Mr PM, your link takes me to Firefox - do I need to load Firefox (gulp!)
Nope, I gave you the wrong links - forgot you were on IE. What version of IE, by the way?

Thanks for the pics - it gives me something to go on. Looks like there's more than one issue here. First, there's a problem with z-indexes (how one element of the page is layered on top of another). I've had a go at fixing this, but again you might have to clear your cache to see it. As to whether it will have made any difference... :!?!:
13rebel wrote:Having clicked on the smartphone I have lost the vertical blue bar on the left of the screen so am unable to access any of the sub menu - the blue bar shows for a second or two and then disappears. I am left with a white circle with two brown bars through it top left of screen which won't go away.
That's more or less what should happen, only it's not displaying correctly. The white circle should have three horizontal bars in its centre which you click to access the mini menu.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Hi Mr PM, I am on IE 9. After looking to see which version I am on the verticle blue bar was reinstated. !PUZZLED! I then followed your link to clear the cache but alas it's still the same except there is a white crinkly square about the size of a postage stamp in the centre of the blank screen.[clicking on it does nothing]Just in case this has some mystic meaning to you I have not retried the smartphone method-should I now try it? Sorry if this is causing you headaches,Tony.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

13rebel wrote:I then followed your link to clear the cache but alas it's still the same...
Can you also try deleting cookies. (The relevant one is the pennymachines.co.uk cookie called "style").
13rebel wrote:I have not retried the smartphone method - should I now try it?
No harm in trying... !?!
13rebel wrote:Sorry if this is causing you headaches
No worries - I had a headache already. :sick:
If you get fed up with this nonsense, a solution might be to try Firefox. !OMFG!
But I'd like to get to the bottom of it, if possible.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

'Just realised that despite saying in a previous post that I would include a photo of my 'delete stuff ' page,I had failed to do so.So I presume cookies had already been deleted.
Attachments
penny machines screen 1 009.JPG
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I have also used the f12 developer tools to delete and the smart phone icon again but no joy.......should I delete 'all board cookies' on the site?.....or perhaps use a bigger hammer?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Would you mind taking a peek at (link removed - Site Admin.) and let me know what (if anything) you see and whether the navigation switches work? (The images won't display on this test page).
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

OOH,AAH,that link brings up the EH 20th September auction results together with a video [a previously used one] which is playable. I am able to scroll down. There are no images of the items in the auction just text and boxes with small squares with red crosses in the top left corners,when clicked on the squiggly colours are on the screen and in a box at the top of the screen it says 'page not available' [or 'found'].Don't know about 'navigation switches', however there is a box above the video with 'elephant house auctions' inside. When this is clicked upon,it takes me straight to EH page and everything,including the two missing results is there.Goodee! Are we nearly there? If you need photos let me know. Thanks.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

OK, based on that test, I'm testing the 'new-improved' site menu on the Forum.
Apart from the Forum, so far it's only implemented on this Arena page: https://pennymachines.co.uk/arena/eh-20-09-2015

Can you confirm it's working?
In particular, can you try clicking the mini menu icon
desk-menu.jpg

to bring up the mobile menu which should look something like this:
minimenu.jpg

13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Back to square one I'm afraid.When your link is clicked on I get the picture montage [choc machine,golf machine etc] and no ability to scroll down.When the mini menu icon is clicked on then I get the same overlay as before so am unable to get to the moble menu. The overlay will very briefly dissapear when I press the back arrow and then reappear.Despite closing down and opening the site several times I am still left with the overlay without the verticle blue menu bar.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Just an update. I have no vertical blue bar on left, no mini menu or phone icon. When I access the Arena via the very bottom of the board index I can get the latest EH auction results but no other items in the Arena. Also can't get Calendar, Archive, Market etc. All just the squiggly coloured lines.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Thanks for the update.
A couple of days ago I ran Windows Vista on a virtual machine and browsed the site using Internet Explorer 7. The mess which confronted me is presumably more or less what you're seeing. :o
I guess if I can get it to function on IE7, it should also work on IE9, although I've learned it's tempting fate to make such assumptions. Unfortunately, because almost everything fails with IE7, I'm forced to provide an alternative simplified menu just for IE9 (and earlier). Even this is proving tricky without screwing things up for modern browsers, but I'll have another bash at it tomorrow.
Archive, Arena, Calendar, Library, and Museum should be viewable now. !PRAY!!

I know you can't update your browser, as 9 is the last supported version on Vista, but it might be worthwhile installing Firefox or Chrome.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

works fine with Chrome !!YIPPEE!!
N.F.G with Internet Explorer !!JUNK!! !!JUNK!! !!JUNK!!

!!GOODJOB!!
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Works fine with Firefox, too! !!CHEERS!!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I've taken the hint and installed Chrome and everything seems fine. :D Thanks for your efforts Mr PM and I hope your headache has gone.