Windows 10

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
hiflyer

Windows 10

Post by hiflyer »

Anyone else having problems viewing and logging in to the forum under Windows 10. I just upgraded my laptop and the forum doesn't format properly or let me log in. No problem with any other sites as far as I know. Bloody Microsoft! Good job I bought my wife an IPad. No problems with that. !PUZZLED!
hiflyer

Re: Windows 10

Post by hiflyer »

Aha! Looks like it's a Google Chrome thing with Windows 10. Access is fine using the new Windows 10 Edge browser. Can give the iPad back now !!YIPPEE!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Thanks for the feedback. I've been testing with Chrome but have resisted 'upgrading' to Windows 10 thus far, so I'm a bit in the dark here. When you tried to log in, what happened?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

pennymachines wrote:have resisted 'upgrading' to Windows 10 thus far
I will not upgrade to 10 as there is no option to turn off automatic upgrades as per previous versions, which now gives microsoft total control over where they take the future OS system on Your machine, which I find concerning. !!JUNK!!
When I upgrade my desktop it will be to a mac.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools, compatibility view settings, add pennymachines.co.uk ; once added it always remains. Its a common problem for many sites, even Microsofts own infrastructure has problems, e.g.at work we use Windows Terminal Server remote access via webpage and we have to add the site to compatibility mode. Although windows 10 is wanting you to use the new browser Edge, IE is still there burried away; Edge seems too finicky for my liking. Search for Internet Explorer in the search bar, right click and add to shortcut. You can also make it the default browser.
Alternatively, browse to my computer and the path to IE is C:\program files (x86)\internet explorer\iexplore.exe, right click, send to -> desktop shortcut.
hiflyer

Post by hiflyer »

pennymachines wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I've been testing with Chrome but have resisted 'upgrading' to Windows 10 thus far, so I'm a bit in the dark here. When you tried to log in, what happened?
The login button wouldn't operate at all. Also the banners which are now located on the left side of the screen and appear when you move the cursor over the blue vertical bit just automatically appeared in a huge format and I had to scroll down many pages before getting to any readable text.
raj

Post by raj »

oh dear, please don't accept anything MS offer you, it will be a retrograde step resulting in more RAM needed, less compatibility, drivers no longer work, all your web browsing sent straight to GCHQ etc, etc.
hiflyer

Post by hiflyer »

I don't disagree with the anti-MS lobby but mine is quite an old laptop running Windows 7 which of late has been a bit slow. I have to say that I am always wary of upgrading any software because invariably new problems arise. Having upgraded to Windows 10 booting up is much faster and it all seems to work OK, apart from this forum on Chrome. As for sending my browsing habits to GCHQ, am I bovvered? They might get something out of checking out this forum but apart from that and eBay they will be bored stiff. My desktop PC is a different story. It's still running happily on Windows XP. Everything works and it will stay that way until it gives up. !TAPTAP!
maestro66uk

Post by maestro66uk »

If we have any technical computer boffins on here, I could do with your help.

I have been using Windows XP for years without any problems but a few months ago my computer started to run really slow and sluggish, especially when it came to web browser usage.
I assumed it was because Micrososft no longer offer support and updates for Windows XP.
I decided to upgrade to Windows 7 (because I don't like Windows 8). I also had the option to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7.
I have refrained from upgrading to Windows 10 because my online research has taught me that one of my expensive programs will not run with Windows 10! I have my own online radio station and I use SAM Broadcaster Pro which cost me £229. Apparently I would have to purchase the NEW SAM Broacaster software which runs with Windows 10 - what an absolute con!

Anyway, having installed Windows 7 I thought my computer would run a lot smoother and faster - wrong!
I stripped the computer down to component level and cleaned & rebuilt it.
I booted it with one strip of RAM (1GB), the computer booted and worked - albeit a bit slow.
I shut it down and added another strip of 1GB RAM and booted up. It was a bit faster - I continued doing this with all strips of RAM until the full 4GB was added. The computer didn't really respond as quick as I anticipated.
I then booted the computer with only 1 hard drive connected - the main boot drive (I have 5 hard drives in the computer) and the computer responded really well.
I opened up my browser (I use Mozilla Firefox) and I proceeded to open Facebook and Youtube (the two main sites that seem to run clanky and sluggish) - they both worked fine and fast!
I then connected a second hard drive and it all slowed down and went clanky and sluggish again. I tried this test with all the other drives individually and it's the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas as to why my computer is running like a slug through treacle? It happened all of a sudden a few months ago for no apparent reason? I know this is a fruit machine forum but I just wanted to see if there was a technical boffin on here who can help whilst we're on the subject of Windows? Any help will be much appreciated.
raj

Post by raj »

I had serious problems with Microsoft, both the company and operating software, so I wiped my drive and loaded Linux. It is a little different, but I got used to it and it is a lot faster than Windows, more secure, free and well supported. It is possible to load both OS onto the same drive ( see youtube for details..Dual Boot instructions), indeed it is possible download the software just to try it. As ever, backup. backup everything!