New Look Website

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: New Look Website

Post by pennymachines »

I've done some more work on the menu.
Tested and working on Windows Vista: IE 7; Windows 7: IE 11, Firefox 41, Chrome 48; Android Lollipop: Chrome 43, Firefox 38; Ubuntu: Firefox 41, Chrome 45. !!COFFEE!!
I've tested Safari and others under OS X (Apple) with online emulators, but not sure how accurate they are.

IE 7 - 9 now show a simplified menu, top of page.
On other browsers, first time visitors to the site with mouse-controlled devices should get the Desktop Menu (flags) by default or, with touch-operated devices, the Mini Menu (mobile). In either case, the alternative menu can be chosen, if preferred, by clicking the appropriate icon, and it will persist (thanks to a cookie) unless another choice is made.
If the site is viewed on smaller devices (less than 400 CSS pixels), only the Mini Menu will be available.

Remains a work in progress. Don't hesitate if there are still issues, suggestions... !!HELLFIRE!!
bod

Post by bod »

Nah! I'm using IE9 and the whole page looks slightly larger now ( such that it no longer fits across the screen and there is a small horizontal scroll) and some of the fields at the top now overlap. There is a menu at the very top (above the clock) starting about 1/3 of the way across the screen and consisting of rectangular grey boxes that are not in keeping with the style of the rest of the page and 'News' overlaps to a second line. There is no slidey menu on the left side of the screen any more. :-(

Would you like to remind us all again why you decided to bugger about with the menus and pages in the first place? I thought they worked Ok before. :tut
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I use Chrome on a tower PC and it worked fine before the change and after. However, about 4 days ago it just brought up a section, like the page had been magnified, so I started to access using Android on a cheap tablet I have and it works fine on that.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Windows 10 - Firefox - Google Chrome - Butter not Marg ...... all fine on the East Coast! !!THUMBSX2!!
bod

Post by bod »

Anybody admit to changing anything since my post yesterday, or have GCHQ finished installing the snoopware on all our machines now? Everything looks fine again now and the menu is back on the left. I never touched nuffin, honest.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

bod wrote:I never touched nuffin, honest.
No, but I did... \|\/|/
And I'm afraid the improvement was short lived.
The problem is that although the menu works fine on all browsers so far tested, including those on mobile devices, Internet Explorer 9 and earlier versions fail to display correctly. To make life a little harder, IE 9 messes up in different ways on Vista and Windows 7 (which I guess you're using?) My workaround for IE 9 and earlier is the bland top menu you're seeing. If I can find a better solution, I'll implement it.

I "decided to bugger about with the menus and pages in the first place" because of issues discussed here:
Adobe Flash plugin has crashed
Odd things happening

In short, I had no choice, as the increasingly buggy and hack-prone Adobe Flash plugin (upon which the old menu depended) is being phased out and is no longer readily available on many mobile browsers.
aristomatic wrote:about 4 days ago it just brought up a section, like the page had been magnified
I suspect that happened while I was tweaking something. Can you confirm it's OK now?
Attachments
Just a few...
Just a few...
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

pennymachines wrote:If I can find a better solution, I'll implement it.
I've had another peek at this. You should now get the default desktop menu (without the mini menu option) on IE 9 - not working very smoothly, but usable, I guess. What's more, currently it only works for the Forum. On other areas of the site IE 9 (like previous versions) still get the makeshift top menu.

By the way Bod, what operating system are you on? If you can upgrade to the latest version of the browser you'll notice an improvement.
humperdingle

Post by humperdingle »

Hmm, all looks a bit weird on Apple's Safari browser...

'Magnified', as someone said before, and blue background instead of the familiar light beige.

No 'new posts' direct link on the board index, either, and the Quick links drop-down doesn't seem to work very well.

image.png

gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Well all I have to say is thank god I don't own a mobile phone, because just looking at those screen shots monsieur PM posted made my eyes hurt! :o Bad enough viewing on my 24" monitor. !!JUNK!! :smash:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

humperdingle wrote:Hmm, all looks a bit weird on Apple's Safari browser...
This is what I am getting today as well !PUZZLED! I wonder if Dave has got the wrong batteries in again?? !!JUNK!!
highfield

Post by highfield »

Oh dear, what's happened today. The forum is all over the place
John
highfield

Post by highfield »

Just to explain better. I now have the same as humperdingle
John
junior

Post by junior »

Move on up . Get an APPLE
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

humperdingle wrote:Hmm, all looks a bit weird on Apple's Safari browser...
Sorry. This has nothing to do with the menu issue discussed above. I didn't have time after completing the Forum upgrade to post a message explaining what was going on.
Please see Forum looks weird? Another upgrade!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Hey Dave, I have not joined in the feedback up until now as the changes over the last week seem to have been an iterative process of I guess reacting to everyones feedback, but have to say the latest change seems to have completely broken the site from IE, Chrome, mobile or whatever....Funny thing is when you first released the new site, it seemed to me to be quite good, but I have no idea what is happening now :tarah:
bod

Post by bod »

Heh, well it is obviously new website code - new colours, new layout etc, but I have to say that it all fits and displays correctly using IE9/Vista on my old desktop PC. I also have a notebook with Win7 that I will try later. OK so we lost the clock and a few other bits for now but if this platform is stable for all browsers then it has to be the way forward. Well done Mr PM.