Sega Mad Money glass question

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
ronnie63

Sega Mad Money Glasses? (wanted)

Post by ronnie63 »

The glasses on this are a bit flaky? might touch up okay but if I could find good glasses that might be better.

Thanks Ronnie

DSC04663.JPG

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Sega Mad Money Glasses? (wanted)

Post by badpenny »

Ronnie ....

By "Flaky" are you saying the paint applied to the rear side is lifting off?
If so, I guess we've all experienced this. It will have been mass produced, probably by silk screen.

Many of us have had a go at repainting the loose/lost bits and then spraying over with matt white, with various results. This can be acceptable, although often it can be seen if back lit.

I'd be asking myself if I can find NOS to replace it with how much would that cost compared to what the machine is worth.
BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

This is not usually seen marked as a Sega machine, it's a re-vamp using pre used Sega mechs. It is possible Sega actually made these cases and sold them to distributors to add their own art - no one really seems to know if they did or another re-vamper got hold of the mechs and built the cases. The most common are from AI (Slough). Yours seems to be from a different distributor. They usually added a hand fill JP behind the belly glass window (operators often coved this up with a nasty payout card). It looks much better opened up as the little JP unit is chromed. There are lots of variants but this is the first Mad Money I've seen myself. Getting a replacement glass would be a matter of pure luck, but there are more than one style of glass using the Mad Money reels (see below).

I've had about six of these and they are always easy to restore. They are small and go well into a games room. They are also pretty much indestructible.

I've had some success repairing the art on these; it's never going to be perfect though. It can be surprisingly successful to stick the large flakes back in place with clear spray lacquer. Other methods are to use glass paints (Hobbycraft sell some) then matt white sprayed over the re-paint, or sometimes acrylic paints work with some colours. The biggest problem with all these repairs is the lighting - any belly glass lighting shows up the repairs to a greater or lesser extent. If it's real bad, you can photograph the glass and either make one up yourself or get one made. I can send a photo of the glass shown below if it helps.

finished 1aa.jpg

bottom plate start.jpg

ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Thanks for the replies and info guys. Yes, the paint is flaking and lifting but I have seen worse. A lot of it is black area so might touch in okay. I have used crylon triple thick in the past on pinball glass - it works good but is pricey! I was surprised to find these are electro! I guess when I get round to this one I will remove the glasses and see how it goes.

Thanks Ronnie
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

This is a real Sega, the Windsor there were a few variants, eg the Speedway, Aztec, Playboy and Mad Money. Also there were the one's with the sailing boat on (can't remember name) and the Phonographic image.

I have a box of about 20 'glasses for Windsor and Buckingham machines and will have a look at the weekend, you never know I might have one.

Most of these glasses suffered from the lights behind them and shrank/cracked and then eventually flaked
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Thanks treefrog, be amazing if you found any, the top glass is the worst, I have yet to clean it but it looks to be good under the filth, this also came from a local auction

Ronnie
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'm currently also working on a machine with badly flaked glass (some of you may have seen the poor fellow at Coventry - Jubilee Tic Tac Toe). I was in Hobby craft today and noticed a new paint that I thought might work and it really is just the job. It's actually for making raised designs on glass and tile so it goes on thick. From our point of view, the raised side is of course on the inside and not showing, just a nice flat solid colour from the front and, more to the point, it's designed to be light proof. I have found that no matter how bright a light you shine from the rear no sign of the repair shows through. I've only tried the black so far but see no reason why other colours would be different. It's called "Pebeo, relief outliner". Very impressed.

new paint.jpg

ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

treefrog wrote:This is a real Sega, the Windsor there were a few variants, eg the Speedway, Aztec, Playboy and Mad Money. Also there were the one's with the sailing boat on (can't remember name) and the Phonographic image.

I have a box of about 20 'glasses for Windsor and Buckingham machines and will have a look at the weekend, you never know I might have one.

Most of these glasses suffered from the lights behind them and shrank/cracked and then eventually flaked
Just wondered if you had time to look through your glasses treefrog?

Cheers Ronnie
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have a few of the top glasses, not flaking, usual knocks, but reasonable.
Attachments
Ipswich-20160116-00239a.jpg
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Wow great they look good, are you willing to part with one? if so PM me or I will you

Thanks Ronnie
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

coppinpr wrote:I'm currently also working on a machine with badly flaked glass (some of you may have seen the poor fellow at Coventry - Jubilee Tic Tac Toe). I was in Hobby craft today and noticed a new paint that I thought might work and it really is just the job. It's actually for making raised designs on glass and tile so it goes on thick. From our point of view, the raised side is of course on the inside and not showing, just a nice flat solid colour from the front and, more to the point, it's designed to be light proof. I have found that no matter how bright a light you shine from the rear no sign of the repair shows through. I've only tried the black so far but see no reason why other colours would be different. It's called "Pebeo, relief outliner". Very impressed.

new paint.jpg

That sounds good, but I thought black was the easiest to deal with on the glass? be good to see a thread if you get time

Cheers Ronnie
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

I still need this glass! could you get in touch treefrog if your willing to sell me a glass please?

Thanks Ronnie
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Email me what one you want from the site and I will get out of storage
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Thank you Treefrog pm incoming
pennyket

Post by pennyket »

Hi guys. I'm new to this game. What sort of age is the machine in question? Also what sort of price should I be paying for a working one? I hope to hear back from you. Cheers pennyket
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Hello there,

If you're referring to the Sega Windsor Mad Money at the beginning of this thread, the Mad Money does not come up often or other jackpot Windsors, but tend to fetch less money than Sega Lite Ups. These date, I would guess, mid '60s to very early '70s. Search the Arena section for realised prices, but depending on condition anywhere from £150 to £350, maybe more.....Very broad as ask one day or another, all about supply and demand....
phan000

Sega Mad Money glass question

Post by phan000 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I purchased a nice $.25 Sega Mad Money a while back and am finally getting around to restoring it.

Mechanism and cabinet are in nice shape, but the artwork is flakey.

Does anyone have a scan, extra glass, or a good idea how to address this?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
381CD21B-FB64-40FF-AEF6-CC380024D8F7a.jpg
45D960A2-E988-4270-B54E-570B6E1EA6CBa.jpg
45556DAF-1EA4-401C-946D-688D74628337a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Sega Mad Money glass question

Post by treefrog »

Saw your post on Facebook, but tend to rarely respond on the groups in there.

Never worked out a way of recovering silk screened glass with success, as cracking and flaking the nightmare of all collectors. Personally I have never seen a good alternative whether printed on film or Perspex. There are members on here who provide this service who may respond. Also in the U.K. a well known sellers of spares had hundreds produced on Perspex, but they still did not present well with backlight. I sold an original good condition one recently with its top box, so they are around.

Good luck |/XX\| By the way, I thought images are available in the Resources section...
phan000

Post by phan000 »

Thanks!

I did see the award card in the resources, but it does not have the “mystery payouts”. I saw a different set on there that did, but had different symbols.

I suppose if desperate enough, I could photoshop the two together.
perre64

Post by perre64 »

treefrog

I think that Perspex could be a good alternative.
I had a cracked front glass to my Aristocrat Mad Melons.
Took me about 10 hours of work in my computer to recreate an exact copy of the original.
Then I left the vector file to a local print shop here in Sweden.
I'm very satisfied with the result. 🙂
Attachments
20220408_164430.jpg