Sweetmeat & Nestlé's vendors

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
arrgee

Re: Nestle Vendor

Post by arrgee »

Never seen one quite that shape, I think it's just down to what you are prepared to pay for it treefrog. !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I really don't know what the hell is wrong with me.
In an attempt to find other vending machines like it I used "Google search by image". If you're not aware how this works you put TF's image into Google and it produces other photos from its collection that it thinks are similar.

I got this .....
Not so clever Clicky

I'm always in trouble me and it's always for the same thing it seems.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

TF, I think you'd be very lucky to find the missing parts for this. I've seen at least 1/2 a dozen or more machines over the years but all were complete. If you know someone that will let you borrow the parts to copy then fine. Seems pricey for basically just a cabinet and a lot of work.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thanks all, actually the machine I am interested in is not this one and not online. It apparently has the mechanism and is a lot more money than this one on ebay. As you say this one is empty.....

I know the earlier cast iron vendors go for a lot more, but these are not common by the amount the surface. I know one other member on here who mentioned they had one, but probably paid 2'6 for it form their pocket money. The last vendor I thought was too expensive the two column Harper, resold in auction for over 3 times what I was bidding for.

I guess the issue is, I know it is down to how much you are willing pay, but with no comparison, I have no idea if one would be paying way over the top. Of all smaller vendors, this is probably my favourite in terms of theme and shape
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I bought mine about five years ago and paid £800 for it complete. I know of one for sale at the moment that can be had for £895.
One was on eBay a few years ago with the bottom ripped off when it was hacked off the wall. I think that went for about £400.00.
I have a later Nestle machine with the same insides which I could use as a donor for this and have been debating whether to go for it. Would be a shame to spoil the other machine though.
If you do decide you want to buy it let me know and I won't bid against you. You'd also be welcome to copy the coin slot and mech if you wanted to. That's beyond me.

Dave
sweetmeats

Re: Sweetmeat & Nestlé's vendors

Post by sweetmeats »

Thought it was about time that I posted a picture of my namesake fully restored. It involved 22 weld repairs to broken cast iron, re-keying all locks, restoring damaged enamels and having missing ones made. Also the foot support was missing so had to be carved and cast in iron. My son James stripped and repainted it in all he spent about 200 hours working on it. It stands over six feet tall and is certainly the ultimate vender dating from around 1900. It is the machine on the cover of the Shires book close examination shows identical damage to the enamels and same missing ones it is also the same machine as in the Pathe news real . It was found in a lock-up in North London with the Nestle sold in the same auction. They must have originally been made in the hundreds at least a be leave this is the only one to survive. Lastly, the following is true, whenever I am getting repairs made by third parties I try to show them what the machine is that they are helping restore. When having the locks re-keyed the owners elderly mother was in the shop. On seeing the picture of the machine from the auction cat. declared she remembered a similar machine on Tenterden (Kent) Station as a girl in the 1930s.
Attachments
Scan0006.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Awesome machine and work on that Sweetmeat.....at least the machine stayed in the Uk, if you are the UK of course....This is definitely a museum quality item of the highest level.....comparing the pictures that was a lot of enamel missing not so obvious on the original, at least 7 on the front....looks great !!THUMBSX2!! !!THUMBSX2!!
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

YES I live in England and proud to have been able to keep it here.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

What a classic! /\UK/\
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

!!THUMBSX2!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Well done Sweetmeats - brilliant restoration. !THUMBS!

What the heck does it weigh !!!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well, I finally bought one being probably my all time favourite vendors in terms of theme, style and size. You probably saw it on the London auction site and have bid against me, but I lost control of my senses and probably again paid too much (have no money now for the Carter's sale).

With a low 60 to 80 estimate it ended more than ten times that....everyone in the auction room thought I was mad except the seller. He approached me and told me it's history. Had been in the family owned by his father and sat outside their sweetshop for many a year in Barnes.

The auction stated it was a later repaint, again wrong, but a very old job, with so much ageing with two or three layers curling, cracking and peeling. Original key and interior including weight, a time warp. This will not be restored, but maintained as it should.

Next job getting home, a one mile walk to the tube, two changes and 2 hour train journey. Finally leg a 20 minute motorcycle ride. This part of the journey was the most worrying as I do not think a spill would look kindly on the cast aluminium casting.

Anyway very pleased, will be interesting to see how much I overpaid with the Elephant one coming up in 10 days, although this is a later restore.much prefer a machine in original state with its history. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Attachments
NestleVender.jpeg
polaris

Post by polaris »

Very nice tree frog I actually placed a bid at the weekend and by chance was home yesterday evening so logged in to auction. I, like many, was stunned and, as you say, will be very interesting to see what OEH one goes for. I do like this but far too much for me. :)
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Has this thread lost one or more posts?

GP
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

Nestle Animal Bars vend very nicely from this machine. I did wonder who outbid me.. "Wish you well to use it."

Dave
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

aristomatic wrote:Has this thread lost one or more posts?
There was a post from TreeFrog asking if anyone had seen the recently auctioned Nestles. I think he deleted it after tracking down the machine and buying it. :lol:
Nice buy TF! !THUMBS!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Put my hands up, I did post the previous day asking if anyone had seen the item, probably not wanting to admit I had. Anyway, I am happy, also goy an email from the seller giving the history and location where it had originated, nice to have provinance, unlike so many machines we have that quickly loses this.

May make some fake bars I think with early copies of wrappers, otherwise I will just keep eating the.

The machine Dave you mentioned a year ago for £895 I think was the same machine I enquired about and did not go for it purely because it was locked, no key and seller had never tried to address this. Too much of risk for me, I think it is still available.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well went to the Elephant and the vendor went for £1000 excluding commission. Main difference apart from the fresh paint, it was missing the lower wall lug, which I guess had got broken ans was ground off.

Best vendors ever IMO......
Attachments
Nestle-1.jpg
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

How much did the one beside it go for???

Dave
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

340 comes to mind, but I am sure I will be corrected.

There was a time I use to write all the prices down, getting senile now