Harper cigarette vending machines

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
mishishi

1940s Harper Cigarette Machine - HELP!

Post by mishishi »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi this is my first post on the forums and was hoping that someone could help me out with some info or advice please.

I have rather randomly inherited a Harper Automatic Cigarette Machine found in a loft space. I need to know of anywhere that would refurbish this or the best place that I could sell it onto as it is.

Can anyone help?
aristomatic

Re: 1940s Harper Cigarette Machine - HELP!

Post by aristomatic »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I'm sure there a few people who would like to buy this to restore for themselves or just keep it as is, depending on its condition. You will probably get a number of private messages too.

It would be nice if you could post a picture of the machine - always good to see machines that have been in storage for long periods.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I have had a couple of Harper machines but there are a number of different models so the pictures or more info would be appreciated.

GP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Welcome there to the forum.....

First things, would be good to see some pictures if you're able to. If you use the search function of the site for Harper's, you will see a thread on these. Lovely machines, if the chrome is good. I assume it is a floor standing machine. If so, tough job getting in and out of a loft. Does it have the lower enamel advert sign.....?

I am sure the moderators will be on tap to explain the rules on selling machines, but the smaller machines are worth a penny.
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

If it's in good original condition and you are in the market to sell I wouldn't jump at the first offer.

Harper also made wall hanging machines and, as Neil said, they came in a variety of shapes and sizes. The almost unique thing about them was that the vending mech and coin mech were attached to the front plate, which makes working on them a little easier.

I don't think I've ever had or seen a Harper that wasn't in good condition, unlike BMR/BDR machines of the same era. They also have a certificate attached to their back on the housing.

Dave
alan57

Post by alan57 »

I wonder if they sold these type of cigs from the machine !OMFG!
Attachments
Untitled.jpeg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I had to google 'canker sours', was a bit disappointed with the search results.

Oddly cigarette manufacturers were rather under the delusion until the '60s cigarettes made you healthy. I love the 'not recommended for under 6 year olds'. I wonder what the alternative was.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Or maybe sold these cigs too :!:
Attachments
Untitled.jpeg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

This one I will agree with. I put on 5 stone when I gave up smoking, well that is my excuse.
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Found this on ebay today and could not resist buying it. Has anyone seen one like it before? number 331786095515
Attachments
$_57.JPG
mishishi

Post by mishishi »

Thanks for the quick responses. I will get some pictures taken at the weekend to show you.
The machine is a floor standing (very heavy) 4 column model. The advertising panel at the bottom is glass and still has most of the paintwork on it. It was in a fish and chip restaurant which is what the building i have used to be years ago. Sadly it seems that the clock is missing, wondered if these are very easy to find?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Big old beasts, but great looking. Think the clocks were Smiths electric sentric clocks, octagonal in shape. Would be tough to replace, as I've seen a number of these missing them. You never know, they may have put the same clock into domestic use in a different frame, so worth searching and asking sizes when you see similar...
mishishi

Post by mishishi »

Managed to get some photos today. Looks like the certificate has perished unfortunately.
Been trying to get some info on the history of this machine. I know the building it was in was once a fish and chip shop. Looks like it was called 'Cawthornes'.
Not in a position to refurb so looking to sell. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1299.JPG
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

It all looks to be there and doesn't look to be in too bad shape. Has the screening on the glass below perished or is that just dust and grime.

these are big old girls as you know and take up a lot of room therefore not everyone's cup of tea. I have a bit of a soft spot for the floor standing art deco machines. There was one on eBay a while ago complete if I remember including the clock where the seller was asking over £1000 for it and it sat there for quite a while. Don't think it sold.

In lovely condition in the right auction they can make a few bob. Something to do with "up cycling." by these yuppie types.

I already have a four column machine and would be interested in yours for the stand and a coin mech. So not sure I'd be your best option.

Dave
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

That 1000 pound one was a 3 slot version, so slightly more desirable and of course smaller as well as complete including working clock, Harper's polish kit and keys.....

Your best bet is to stick it in an auction or on flea bay and see where it goes... Looks like the graphics have perished on the glass which is a shame.
jingle

Post by jingle »

I have a harpers machine
It has harpers on the top
Which I forgot about till reading this post
Kodac small type with a worn label inside
I think 40s but was it a shilling for film in them days
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
mishishi

Post by mishishi »

Yes unfortunately the writing on the glass has perished. Have had a look at the 3 column one on ebay, have also seen a 2 column in perfect condition which sold for over £6000 at Christie's last year (wishful thinking!)
Have a local dealer interested but will try my luck on ebay i think, need a bit of space in the garage!
Thanks for everyone's advice and info on this. !!THUMBSX2!!
mishishi

Post by mishishi »

HI! No luck selling on ebay. Guess it's a bit of a niche item. Looking to sell on here and open to reasonable offers if any of you are interested?
wildwilll

Post by wildwilll »

I bought this very machine and am refurbishing it at the moment.
Attachments
harper1a.jpg
image2a.jpg
image1a.jpg
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Thanks for the pictures.
treefrog

Re: Harper Vending Machines

Post by treefrog »

Boy that is one big chrome job and looks great. I think the machines were more of a nickel plate as they always seems more dulled. This certainly will stand out. Are you going to attempt the artwork as well? !!THUMBSX2!!