Your thoughts on a non slot subject please

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
youngerap

Re: Your thoughts on a non slot subject please

Post by youngerap »

coppinpr wrote:so what your saying is you dont agree with grants that benefit the environment and that would be available to British electric transport products...if we made any !PUZZLED!
I don't agree with grants in any form, but least of all when they benefit a foreign economy. Taxpayer subsidies generally cause an artificial market that can only survive with taxpayer subsidies. Have a look at the joke that is the renewable energy (wind turbine) industry in Scotland: it is a mature industry yet survives only because of subsidies from the domestic energy consumers (i.e you and me) who pay an inflated price for their energy to cover that subsidy. The UK government has (finally) declared that to be unfair and is in the process of withdrawing that subsidy. The Scottish government, of course, is whining about the 'damage' this will do to the Scottish renewable energy industry (whereas they should be asking why the industry cannot stand on its own after nearly 2 decades of being subsidised). You want to market something, excellent and good for you. But compete on actual cost terms and without taxpayer subsidy. I also have significant doubts as to the alleged 'benefit' these contraptions have for the environment, but that is like waving a red flag at a crazy green bull (not referring to you, Paul), so I will leave that one.

Purely my personal opinion, of course. I am sure others may have differing views and that is fine, too.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Much of what you say is true, I did not take up this project because there were grants available,in fact I knew nothing about the grant, The grant goes of course to the buyer not me or the factory, the only (and substantial) benefit to me and the maker is the bikes are cheaper to the end user so should increase sales.money wise it makes no difference to me or the maker but should make them easier to sell.

Your view of grants in general is hard to agree with, gov grants of this type are here to stay,and have been around for over 100 years,the gov argument is that part of the taxes we pay should be returned to people in a way that will benefit the country/local council/city as a whole, if you disagree with the places grants are given then thats a reason for not voting for that government,the (democratic(?) model we live under here is built on the fact that we the voters agree that the government can make these kind of decisions without asking us if we vote them into power . All grants of this type might benefit an other country,the very popular grant towards a new roof on a house or business property may well use materials made abroad and be fitted by Polish roofers,in theory the grant money stays in this country as it goes to the end user not the supplier/fitter.

The grants to the Scottish wind power industry were NEVER intended to make the business a runner,if it had worked out then all the better, they were given to keep people in work rather than giving them the money direct as benefits,money that might go into the steel industry would be on the same basis,we all know the british steel industry cant make a profit,China cant sell cheap steel how on earth could we sell expensive steel? Like it or not its the world market that drives the economy nothing else
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

tedious and boring, non related topic !!ESCAPE!!
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

To be fair it is posted in the right area. You don't have to read it...
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Great, i'll tell you all about my ostrich farm then !!>*<!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You're just sticking your head in the sand now. :lol:
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

The idea of farming Ostriches does seem quite interesting. I'm all ears.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

wingnut instead of ilovemyjukebox may suit better then?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I too am fascinated by ostrich farming ephemera and ostrich farmer's racing wives.
Attachments
ostrichracers.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I knew someone who bred ostriches for meat.
I asked him what it tasted like, he said he didn't know; he'd never caught one. ;-)
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

you've been watching Ken Dodd again! !THUMBS!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

any one remember a pyramid marketing scam a few years back that involved buying un hatched ostrich eggs, sounds un believable but it really did exist :!?!:
it never really took off (the only ostrich pun I could think of) in the UK but here are the details of the USA version

"4 Feathered Own Nests in Ostrich Scam, SEC Alleges
Courts: Suit accuses O.C. group of taking $800,000 from investors in a bird-breeding venture.
June 24, 1998|

Four Orange County residents operating as the Ostrich Group Inc. duped investors out of $800,000 in a bird-breeding scheme, the Securities and Exchange Commission contended in a lawsuit filed Tuesday.

Investors were told the money would be used to buy breeder ostriches and sell the offspring, "generating substantial cash-flow revenues in a very short while," the SEC said in its complaint, filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.

The SEC said Ostrich Group's pitch was: "You own--we board, sit back and watch your empire grow." The company guaranteed each breeding ostrich would produce 20 eggs per breeding season, the agency said.

But the suit contends the proceeds mostly feathered the defendants' nests from late 1995 through June 1997.

"There were supposed to be 247 birds, and there were two," said Lisa A. Gok, assistant director of the SEC's Los Angeles office."

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It was tried here as well, I remember a colleague at work falling for it.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Ostrich meat tastes horrible - like gamey turkey, but dry and hard to swallow. I had an ostrich burger once in California. Never again. I wouldn't feed it to my dog.

Back on topic, I've been following the thread but haven't joined in yet. It's been a long time since I was in Britain so I'm out of touch with prices, but 825 pounds seems awfully high to me. What was the retail price of these electrics in Japan? In Turkey? In the USA you would expect to pay 600 dollars, maybe less. You can buy a 50cc scooter for that price. The people who buy these things over here don't have much money. They couldn't care less about being green and non polluting, they only care about cheap. And a government subsidy sounds like a slender branch to go out on. A month after you take out a loan and order a few containers, with personal guarantees of course, the policy may change and leave you with stuff you can only sell at a loss. Or the EU might discover there's some company in Poland that makes something similar and slap 100% import duty on them, like it did with computer printers to protect Mannesman Tally, or VCRs to protect Phillips. This is not an investment I'd be prepared to make without at the very least some solid research into what price the market will stand. I would expect that to be not more than 500 pounds. And to sell at that price, I'd want an FOB price of 200 pounds or less.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

This is not an investment I'd be prepared to make without at the very least some solid research into what price the market will stand.
Which,as I said, is why Im buying a test batch to test the water

The price is actually very cheap for an electric bike, I was in a top electric bike shop in outer London on Thursday doing a deal to put one of our bikes into the shop as an addition to there(very extensive,over 20 types) range. I was under the impression that standard electric bikes (ones that look like a peddle bike) averaged about (a staggering) £1300 but the owner of the shop said "oh no, the average price in this shop is £2250 !!"

The factory sells these to chinese dealers for about £400 each if they buy 100!, shipping is cheap,duty is only 6% here,VAT is 20% and Im not buying 100 this time so you cant get these into the country for £500,they sell in China for more than £500

The research and market testing Ive done has found no problem with the price,even students and student unions ive talked to seem to think its cheap at the price.The price im charging for this test batch is low compared to the cost to me,Im not making the profit I should,I just need to test the demand with this lot. In Turkey they sell at between £800 and £1000, and they are clearing 2000 a month.In europe and on Ebay in the UK they are around £995.
The thing to bear in mind is the battery, If Id bought ones with lead acid battery the cost to me would be over $250 cheaper than the upgraded lithium types Ive ordered, The lead acid ones are,of course, useless. Lots of old electric bikes around with these but they wont get you to the end of the street and they make the bike very heavy. Also remember that in the USA this would have no use at all (except to put on the back of your camper as a runaround)
Remember, Im retired now,Im only doing this for fun,its not a business I need to rely on, its just an interest,like trying to find out why that Mills hi-top Ive had for years suddenly wont pay out...at all
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Well I don't mean to be discouraging, and like I said, I don't know what the UK market will stand. I know you guys over there are used to paying arm+leg for everything, and I recall the VAT has to be included in the price (over here the tax is added on at the cash register), so that makes the actual price a slightly more reasonable 687 pounds. All you can do is suck it and see.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

just out of interest look at these electric bike prices at my local E bike shop

https://www.electricbikessussex.co.uk/
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I thought you had retired, surely not bored already! !PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I thought you had retired, surely not bored already!
Retire is just a word, for me it was always going to mean a change from one thing to another,retirement simply gave me the chance to get involved with projects/pastimes/even jobs that I wanted to do. I now have time for things like the bikes, I also teach a course for the U3a, promote professional sport, restore slot machines and travel the world... no I'm not bored. :cool:
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

If you can do the things you want to do coppinpr, then you can say you are a happy man!
Enjoy it