Caille / Clement & Whales Countertop disc machines

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
ninecup

Caille/Clement Commercial restoration

Post by ninecup »

Topics moved & merged - Site Admin.

I have one of these machines and although the coin slot casting has 2 2 5 10 & 20 the reel has been changed and the highest payout is 5. I've been trying to get it back to some sort of original condition. There has been a bit of welding done to cover the high payment teeth that I need to remove. I am bit confused though about the arm which releases the top payout slides. It doesn't seem to go back far enough. It looks like something has been done to the top of the lever preventing it to do so. I am a bit unsure of what to do. If I alter the top to make it go back more, would this effect the resetting at the start of play? !PUZZLED!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
ninecup

Caille scan

Post by ninecup »

Has anyone got a scan of the following?
Attachments
image.jpg
youngerap

Re: Caille / Clement & Whales Countertop disc machines

Post by youngerap »

Sorry to raise up an old thread, but I was reading up on the Clement and Whales Greyhound. I was researching the machine coming up at auction, below, and noticed how different the machine was to those in this thread:

Greyhound.jpg
Greyhound.jpg (18.49 KiB) Viewed 5148 times

It looks to me like the original case has been replaced (which is a great shame; the originals look really good). I wish there was a picture of the mechanism, 'cos, for the life of me, I cannot see how this machine is operated.

I tried to look past the woodworm......
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

This could be a Jennings Little Duke conversion as the coin slot is facing to the right.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

pennymachines wrote:So, as you say Gameswat, it's possible some 50c Cailles were imported from the States for use in the UK, although 50c was a mighty stake, even prior to '30s Depression.

I didn't say that PM. !PUZZLED! I don't believe I've ever seen a real 50 cent model or think they were ever made that way! Many UK Penny versions are sold incorrectly as that in the US though. What I did say was that I think some Caille models were sold new in France on the early 10 Centime, then later they were shipped to the UK to operate straight on the Penny with little or no conversion, just as a bunch of other pre WW1 French machines from the likes of Bussoz etc were. Then later still some of these 10 centime & UK Penny machines made it back to the US to be incorrectly sold as 50 cent models! :burp:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Ah, OK - I think I understand what you said now... :???:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

daveslot wrote:This could be a Jennings Little Duke conversion as the coin slot is facing to the right.
You're right Dave, this was a Little Duke conversion by Whales, had the original Jennings handle and 50-60 years of a family of woodworm, but was all there including back door. In fact I tried it and 3rd penny got a winner and paid out. Sold for £240 at an auction near me.....

I wonder how many of these they did, as obviously it's far less common than the other types. Is the Greyhound badge not more like the Boland White City Machine?
Attachments
grey1.jpg
grey2.jpg
grey3.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

OK, as things are quiet on the site and being the owner of said machine above, interested in your views on whether to build a complete new cabinet, replace part of the cabinet (e.g. front and inside ply parts that are shot) or try and recover all using fillers, hardeners etc. The sides, top are not bad and made of solid wood. I can only assume the front is thick ply as the worm had hit here badly. Apart from the cabinet it is very original and the mechanism is so clean, I suspect this was stored away in the back of a barn/shed for a long time..... :cool:
Attachments
Ipswich-20140630-00583.jpg
Ipswich-20140630-00577.jpg
Ipswich-20140630-00585.jpg
Ipswich-20140630-00584.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Tough call that one.
Putting myself in your place, I too would have bought it at that price.
I'd dismantle the case and use the pieces as patterns to remanufacture ... I think ... yes probably.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thanks BP, was thinking the same myself, in fact probably just the front as a bit of woodworm is not a bad thing elsewhere, adds to the history.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thought I would add to this thread and have a terrible picture of the machine. At least a month ago a greyhound variant machine sold on eBay for £340, but who made this machine, I was told it is a British manufacturer !PUZZLED! I know it is probably not whales, but added it here as a countertop disc machine with the greyhound theme
Attachments
$_12.1JPG.JPG
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (19.38 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think I've seen one or two of these mystery single slot 'Greyhound' spinners. What makes you think it's not Whales? The graphics and theme are identical to the Clement and Whales Greyhounds. Maybe it predates their collaboration on the Caille-copy Commercials and Greyhounds. Something about the cabinet reminds me of their early post-war allwins, even the turning handle, hinges, slot and coin cup could have come straight off a Whales allwin.

The mechanism is not dissimilar to an Essex Corn Exchange.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

It looks like a "dog" to me. :lol:

(Tip of the hat to BP, the pun master.)

J Peterson
Punster 2 in USA
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I stopped myself going for it as needed a lot of work. See what you mean by the Whales possible conversion as the coin cup also looks like whales, although had probably an old repair after losing the cup.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, I think the cup surround looks right - probably just the cup itself got mashed.
This doggie would clean up nicely and less to go wrong than a Commercial.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

pennymachines wrote:The mechanism is not dissimilar to an Essex Corn Exchange.
Yes PM, looks very close to one of the Essex future pay series. Only a small pic though, so I couldn't say much as my eyes aren't what they once were. :o
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I wonder if it worked on the future pay system, with the little tote dividend window indicating what would be received on the next turn. Either way, it occurs to me that the little window is required on this game (as there is no other indication of payouts), but it's unnecessary on the more familiar Greyhound Stadium (which shows payouts on the coin head). That's another reason to suspect this was a forerunner of the 5 way betting version.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Looks almost the same mech. But due to the shorter case the delay dashpot is mounted to the upper right as opposed to lower in this Essex Stock Exchange. Also of note the payout cup is mounted into the cash door which is something Essex did.
Attachments
greyhound mech.jpeg
greyhound mech.jpeg (19.38 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
stcok exchange 2 mech.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Trawling through some of my old photos, I found these images to add to the thread. Three were taken on a Polaroid Land Camera. Remember those?
Attachments
commercial-3.jpg
Commercial-2.jpg
commercial-benhur.jpg
Greyhounds-1.jpg
Greyhounds-p1.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Off Topic !SORRY! ..... but I only discovered recently that Polaroid cameras were called Land Camera because the inventor was ...... errr ... Mr. Land. !!SUICIDAL!!