Transatlantic steer a coin game

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
ddstoys

Transatlantic steer a coin game

Post by ddstoys »

Hi guys I've been given this game. It hasn't arrived yet and I only have these two photos. Does anyone recognise the game?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Steer a coin style game

Post by pennymachines »

Given! :o

I took some pictures of 'Plane Crazy' at the Black Country Museum.

See Empire Arcadia at the Black Country Museum

It appears to have been extensively remodelled though. I'm sure I've seen another, possibly more original example, which may also be pictured here somewhere, if I could recall its name...
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

IMG_5978a.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

This one was in the Arne Toy sale. I thought there was one called something like "Transatlantic Flight". :!?!:
Attachments
196.jpg
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Yes, given. I still can't believe it but the owner says I've helped him more times than he can count and I'm still in credit.

Thanks for the photos and the thread name change.

Doesn't look like there's too much missing thankfully. Timber frame and a header shouldn't be too hard to remake.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Prompted by Coppinpr's comment in the other thread, I've had another gander at the photos and I'm sure he's correct - what I misread as Cander is in fact 'Gander'. I think I can just make it out on your playfield too. Ignoring the more recent repainting etc., these naïve games strike me as being quite early. Judging by the transatlantic route depicted, just after WWII perhaps, when such flights were becoming routine but required several stops: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_flight

So we take off from Croydon Airport, London, drop in at Mexico City Airport, loop back on ourselves to Shannon Airport, Eire, then on to Gander International Airport, Canada before touching down safely at New York. I'm not sure which airport that would have been, but no doubt JP will remember. :D
Attachments
plane-crazy-CU.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

The common airport for international arrivals in New York City is always JFK. The reasons are practical in nature. La Guardia's runways are too short for the heavy long-distance aircraft and Newark is in New Jersey (the state of New York would want the $$ associated with international travel.)

Back in the day, JFK was called "Idlewild Airport," becoming JFK in 1963 in honor of the slain President John F. Kennedy.

J Peterson
Please fasten your seat belts !!PLANE!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The New York airport would have been Idlewild or LaGuardia (depending on the airline). I'd like to think it was LaGuardia (as the site was an amusment park before being turned into an airport), which still exists and in fact is about to be torn down and totally replaced with a new airport.

If you want to date the machine by the artwork then the UK end is most promising. Croydon airport closed in 1959, flights still refuelled in Gander as late as 1968, the last scheduled transatlantic flights to stop for refuelling were Aeroflot, but they refuelled in Iceland well into the '70s. Until about 2000 Gander was the biggest international commercial ATC station in the world handling 98% of all transatlantic flights north of South America. Almost all flights across the north Atlantic passed over Gander, even if they had stopped landing there.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

JP - the artists at the "Joy Stick" factory really captured that aerodynamically egg-shaped head of yours well didn't they!? You were born to fly no doubt. !!YIPPEE!!
john t peterson

I'm going to assume "egg head" is the highest compliment possible, paying tribute to my over-sized brain. :burp:
Thank you, Gameswat. I know you have the highest regard for fine-feathered friends.

J Peterson
Chicken Little to You
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

John T Peterson wrote:Back in the day, JFK was called "Idlewild Airport," becoming JFK in 1963 in honor of the slain President John F. Kennedy.
John, now we are coming out of the EU you can tell us who actually shot JFK, we all really want to know and we won't tell Jean-Claude Juncker or Angela Merkel. !SHOOT!
john t peterson

I'm as clueless as everyone else, Arrgee. If Donald Trump is elected (God forbid,) I'm sure he'll tell us in his role as conspiracy-theorist-in-chief.

J Peterson
Very fearful in the US of A
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

arrgee wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:25 pmJohn, now we are coming out of the EU you can tell us who actually shot JFK

Whoever it was may well come out of retirement if Trump wins. :shock:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I would think the graphics on your playfield (names of destinations with famous icons of those cities) are original, dd. Not quite the same, but similar to the first one I posted, which may have been over-painted following the same basic pattern. I wonder if it's original on coin-op's game.

Anyway, it seems likely, being a British game, the makers would have had a British transatlantic airline in mind. The aircraft pictured is not a seaplane, so this points to a post 1949 date:
BOAC was also permitted to spend dollars on six new Boeing Stratocruisers for its key transatlantic routes from October 1949, offering a double-deck non-stop eastbound service from New York City to London Airport (later Heathrow). However, because of the prevailing westerly winds, the westbound flights needed re-fuelling at Shannon and Gander before reaching New York.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British ... orporation

I think the top flash should be in the style of a period map showing the destinations. I still feel I've seen a picture of this, maybe on an old B/W photo. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
routemap.jpg
jingle

Post by jingle »

Might of been mine dave
This is in my book of machines I have
So it's the best pic I have to hand
I don't know wether my art work is original or not but
It looks old when you see it in the real
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Fantastic boys some great photos coming out of the woodwork really looking forward to this one. Does anyone know who built these machines ?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've no idea about the manufacturer.
That's cool to see yet another one, Jingle. Looks like the little stubby backbox is probably right then. When are you going to publish "my book of machines I have"? :)
I thought the picture I had in mind was among the black and white photos Bolland took, but maybe my memory's playing tricks.
ddstoys

Re: Joystick steer a coin game

Post by ddstoys »

pennymachines wrote:When are you going to publish "my book of machines I have"? :)
That's a good question.

And that red one is my first bet for original artwork. The way the guy's hand is right where the coins return is just too perfect.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Woo hoo - just had confirmation the game will be delivered Thursday.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

I remember buying four of these from the arcade on top of the Great Orme. They were all like the red one Jingle has, so I would say this was the original colour.