Getting started

General vintage slot machine related topics.
corey01902

Getting started

Post by corey01902 »

Hi everyone!!

OK, I'm new to this but have always been intrigued by vintage slots. I am looking for a low cost working model that someone might be looking to offload that I could cut my teeth on.

Any advice and suggestions are appreciated.

James
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Getting started

Post by badpenny »

Happy hunting matey, I suggest you take a packed lunch with you.

Welcome to the forum though we need all the help we can get.
!THUMBS!
BP
ps .... acording to the rules of the site ..... strictly speaking .... you should have plonked this in The Market/Wanted However I guess your main message was to introduce yourself.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Original working models are a bit thin on the ground at the moment.........however, nothing to stop you making your own if you can find a good automaton, build a cabinet to fit, paint it a nice colour with barge paint, make a coin slot, switch, relay, and a simple timer. Find or make a 'Working Model' name plate for the front and there you are!
corey01902

Post by corey01902 »

I went out to look at a machine on Friday that I had been assured was in full working order. When I got there I discovered that the bit of the mechanism that controls the payout was missing. Bloody wasted journey! The seller "claimed he didn't realise that it was incomplete as he didn't know much about the machines", I found this a bit hard to believe as he had half a dozen of them dotted about the house.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Payout on a working model
!PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Welcome to the best slot machine site in the world, and that is a fact! Whatever you need to know about slots we can... and will help :cool:

I think we need to know what it is you're actually looking for. As far as I know (there are better experts on working models on the forum than me) no working models have payouts. What exactly did you go to look at? Describe what you're looking for! !PUZZLED!
Could be you're using the wrong name for what you're looking for. This is a "working model" as far as we know it. Is it what you mean?
Attachments
working model 1.jpg
working model 1.jpg (16.38 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
titanic

Post by titanic »

I don't think he actually means "a working model" I think he wants something that's "in working order" to start out with, that maybe just needs a little TLC. A bandit, wall machine etc.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:lol: Well spotted titanic. I bet that's what you meant, wasn't it James?
:WELCOME: to the site.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

And there was me about to recommend Cara Delevingne.
Apparently she's one of the hardest working models.

cara-instagram.jpg

corey01902

Post by corey01902 »

Thanks for the comments.

Ideally what I am looking for is a vintage style one armed bandit. The type that would look great sat on a sideboard in my dining room (so not a wall mounted one). I like the look of the machines with cases that seem to be more metal than wood. I want something that accepts pre-decimal coins, maybe the big old pennies (1d).

Because I am totally new to this I want something that is fully working. Whilst I would like to get an understanding of how the machines are engineered and function, I feel it would be easier to have something that is fully operational when I buy it so that I can study a fully working mechanism.

I am based in Irlam, Manchester but would be happy to travel for the right machine though anything north of Birmingham would be easier.

James