Boland Black Beauty, Screen Stars, Brooklands, White City...

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Boland Black Beauty, Screen Stars, Brooklands, White City...

Post by badpenny »

Very nice Mr P.
Am I right in thinking it's veneer?
If so what's underneath?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Very nice !THUMBS!
Does anyone have a close up of the award card for a screenstar? I'm in the process of restoring two and both were missing the award cards, typical.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Anyone know why "the White City" was used as the name on the greyhound racing version. Could some of these have been used at the famous stadium in London? At that time it was the Mecca of greyhound racing in the UK. Where was Boland based?

The red machine in MR P's first set of four photos caught my eye, at first I thought the plate under the reel window said " It's Sh*t" but on closer inspection it says "It's skill" which on this machine is a load of bullsh*t as not in your wildest dreams could any part of playing that machine be considered skill :lol:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Paul, Tom Bolland was based in Leeds - perhaps the White City was in reference to the stadium in Manchester that held greyhound racing - a lot nearer to him than London. Although the greyhound casting on his machines bears a resemblance to the one on the London White City members badge, i.e. straight back and straight tail, as opposed to the logo at the front of Walthamstow stadium for example, with an arched back and curly tail.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It could be either I guess, as the logo is from the GRA logo who owned both White City tracks but not Walthamstow. Perhaps it was the London White City, as that was where the greyhound derby was held - not important, just interested.

Amazing how popular greyhound racing was pre-war- at the opening night at White City (London) there were 40,000 punters and a staggering 450 official bookmakers!! But that was before the invention of the world's first electro-mechanical commercial computer, the greyhound stadium tote. Part of White City's original tote is now in the National Science Museum.
pennymachines

Post by pennymachines »

I keep seeing these 1D Deluxe bandits - and they're beginning to grow on me. Nice castings and a certain minimalist charm. It would be interesting to know if they are, as I suspect, also the work of Tom Boland.

Vic-Mee-901.jpg

Here's another Brooklands Totalisator I missed from the Silverstone Classic Sale, 2014.
Attachments
Brooklands2.jpg
Brooklands1.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Yes I believe they are Boland, I restored the one below which was in very poor condition and the instruction cards had Boland printed on the back of one of them. My one was called "Spinning Reels" I know what you mean about minimalist but they seem to me a bit daunting and off putting to a player, they look and feel like a bank vault and seem to be saying "you won't get a penny out of me! "
Attachments
spinning reels.jpg
pennymachines

Post by pennymachines »

Looking more closely, I see the one I posted is also called Spinning Reels. Like other Boland bandits, they always seem to be on 1D for fairground as opposed to club use. Stars on the castings seems to be a Boland signature.
Attachments
stars.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Interesting Fair play on ebay today.

boland fair play.jpg

Always surprises me that there are so many slight variations on the castings. This one has a different name plate and reel window to the one above yet the same coin entry and bottom plate, plus this one has a metal case the other wooden. It's like they were custom made. :lol:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

More like 'near enough is good enough' made with these.