Easy Perm

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
brianh

Easy Perm

Post by brianh »

Hi - I'm new to this game so apologies if it's a silly question. Having played the penny slot machines for several years in the 60s I eventually decided to do something in my semi-retirement and try to restore one to something approaching its former glory. Have acquired an Easy Perm in rough but workable condition and noticed earlier posts on this machine had some very knowledgeable people so hope someone can help. Question is - was there a light fitted in the top section originally? One member made reference to a light but the machine I have shows no signs of one having been there so wondered if it was something someone added later or if it was in fact an original feature to light up the Easy Perm section at the top (the Easy Perm panel that fits in the top slot is missing so I'm making a new one). Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks............Brian
polaris

Re: Easy perm

Post by polaris »

Hi Brian and welcome. Congratulations on your new project I'm sure when you start restoration you will find posts to help you with every step along the way. Don't think these ever came fitted with light most likely an operator addition. Please add photographs
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Easy Perm

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Brian and :WELCOME:
As Polaris says, it seems Oliver Whales allwins were not fitted with a lamp as standard by the manufacturer, although the design of the top flash was clearly envisioned to take one. I guess they felt it was an easy job for showmen to fit, if they wished. Slotalot might be able to tell us if Mr Whales offered lighting as an optional extra.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks polaris and pennymachines - think I'll ignore any light for now then and concentrate on cleaning it up - lots of grease and grime and scratches but underneath there's some really nice wood so now I've managed to pick the lock (locked and no key!) I've removed the door section and can work on the cabinet.

The flash looked good but once I had a close look it had lots of splits and warping, and as soon as I touched it the paint started to flake off the back. Am therefore creating a new one (many thanks to slotalot's pic which I hope it's OK for me to use?)

Would attach pics of the easy perm as it was when I got it but I'm a bit of a technophobe (?) so not sure how on this site !!!
Attachments
P1000845.jpg
brianh

Post by brianh »

Oops - just saw the "attachment" link as I was sending post! Will do some tomorrow!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hello Brian, glad you turned up ..... have you tried Fork Handles? (you are in UK aren't you? otherwise ignore me .... actually just ignore me)
brianh

Post by brianh »

OK badpenny - took a while but I got it in the end! Am old enough to have seen the original sketch!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The paint was flaking badly on mine too but I chose to re touch it rather than replace, The cases always seem good quality and come up really nice with a bit off work,I love the quality duff-tail joints,you wouldnt get that today

allwin1.jpg

slotalot

Post by slotalot »

brianh wrote:(many thanks to slotalot's pic which I hope it's OK for me to use?)
That's what it is there for, glad to see it getting used.
As to lights in Oliver Whales machines, they were never fitted as standard, but as Pennymachines says, you could have one fitted for a few shillings more. :D
You have to remember that a lot of these machines were used by traveling showmen, electricity was not always available on site. :!?!:
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks for the advice guys - may try fitting a small light when I get to that stage (if I'm still alive!) just to see what affect it has. Ref the flash, I'm afraid it's beyond hope of touching up - I'd guess about a third of it has flaked off, more every time I touch the flash, which I had to do as it was warped and stopping the ball going round, so I will use your pic, slotalot (thanks) and get it enlarged and printed onto as near a plastic as I can find to the original.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Just ask your local print shop to print and laminate it, it will be just fine. :D
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks slotalot for all your, and everyone's advice - gives me the confidence to have a go, knowing there's so much help out there if I get stuck.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

What condition is the flash for your top box? Not visible in your photos, you may find a thin tube (like the ones in Segas) might work best. A bulb often tends to highlight the cracks/faults in the flash. A tube mounted high works well.
brianh

Post by brianh »

sadly no picture of flash in top box as there wasn't one - just a gaping slot! I'm in the process of making one to fit, from pics of complete ones (mainly from old ones sold by Elephant House), and have also cut piece of perspex to fit the slot. Thanks for your advice coppinpr and will try a tube light when I've finished it.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think we may have a top box flash on the resources page of this site
brianh

Post by brianh »

That would be brilliant if there is - would be better than my amateur efforts! I did have a quick look in resources but I'm new to this site so may be looking in the wrong place ! - will have another go. Thanks for the advice.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Unless I'm failing to see it too, I don't think there is a scan of the top flash.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Not to worry, thanks for looking - back to plan B and a D-I-Y job. Just sifting through a few thousand fonts to see if I can find one to match the original wording (got a couple that are very close) rather than try the artwork myself , then paste in the 7 win "table" bit and I'm ready to go, failing which I resort to plan C - in fact thinking about it I don't have a plan C :(
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

thinking about it I think I sent a photo/scan of my top flash to another member on this site, Ill look see if ive still got a copy
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks coppinpr - would be great if you do find it - I've got a pic I've created using ms powerpoint and pasting in the 7 win table, (sounds like I know what I'm doing but was really just trial and error!) which I can get printed to fit, but the font isn't quite right and I'd prefer to be true to the original if poss.