Domino, Lucky Dice, Juge de Paix, Roll Out the Barrel etc.

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Re: Roll out the Barrel on ebay

Post by coppinpr »

This is true - I once went to a pub near Hampton Court (no comments please) that specialized in selling hundreds of different beers; the guy next to me at the bar asked the barman for a pint of Watneys Red Barrel and the barman said, "sorry, we only sell beer".
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Roll out the Barrel on ebay

Post by badpenny »

In the 80s I was the youngest licensee of Dirty Dick's Pub in Bishopsgate London. My assistant manager Ian was a Scotsman.
One day I witnessed this ........

Yuppie clicking fingers - "Barman!"
Ian - "Good afternoon sir, what can I ...."
Yuppie cutting him short - "Can I have a Chivas and Coke?"
Ian - ".... no ...." Moves down the bar "Next please?"
sweetmeats

Cigarette paying Domino machine

Post by sweetmeats »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

At the time I bought the wishiwell fortune teller I was asked if I wanted anything else, so I also bought a couple of small items and in conversation mention was made of a Domino machine. He had brought it about ten years before from the widow of a collector who had taken it apart to restore and died before finishing the task. He also had never found the time to do. I must admit I was not that keen as I already own a Domino bought over 20 years ago and really did not want/need a new project. He then mentioned that it was not ANY domino but a rare version that paid out cigarettes, not coins, for each 1 or 6. Curiosity prompted me to ask to see it, so from under a table he withdrew a box of parts, a stripped case, the playfield missing the arms. He said he had no idea if it was complete but asked such a reasonable price I could not leave it. When I got home and sorted it, it seemed to be more or less complete. Below are pictures of what I bought. I have now had the case polished and have sent the metal parts to be re-nickelled. I will add further pictures of progress in due course. Has anyone heard or own a similar machine?
Attachments
DSCF0382.JPG
DSC01097.JPG
DSC01096.JPG
DSC01095.JPG
DSC01094.JPG
DSC01093.JPG
DSC01092.JPG
DSC01091.JPG
sweetmeats

Re: Cigarette paying domino machine

Post by sweetmeats »

Update to earlier post. The restoration is progressing well - see new pictures. Amazingly, the machine is virtually complete from a 'box of parts', missing only part of the coin slide and some connecting wire. Only major missing part is the cage to hold extra cigarettes. Does any one have an idea of this detail or better still a photo of one I could copy or adapt? Interestingly, the conversion has reduced to just one 'winning' one or six on each reel, so the chances of winning a single cigarette are about one in five. In 1930 (the date I estimate the conversion) a packet of 10 would have cost a maximum of 6d, so a good return for the operator!
Attachments
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG
speedwell

Re: Cigarette paying Domino machine

Post by speedwell »

Restoration's looking great and a great find too. Are you going to detail here any of the tasty looking machines in the background.......?!!!
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

speedwell wrote:Restoration's looking great and a great find too. Are you going to detail here any of the tasty looking machines in the background.......?!!!
I thought that, what an Awesome collection of Quality machines.
probably in the US??
bod

Post by bod »

Strange. The unrestored machine parts have black dominos with white spots and the restored version has white dominos with black spots. Musta scrubbed pretty hard...
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

The only reason the dice have been painted black on white is because I already had a normal payout coin domino so thought it would make a contrast for the new machine.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Lovely machine and restoration and as mentioned a collection beyond my dreams, I was trying to guess, football, cricket and golf, the three ironclads, fantastic !!THUMBSX2!! !!THUMBSX2!! !!THUMBSX2!!
treefrog

Re: Domino, Lucky Dice, Juge de Paix, Roll Out the Barrel etc.

Post by treefrog »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Nice little project on ebay earlier in the week which finished for what seemed a cheap £360 for one of these, "Roll Out the Barrel"

The last Elephant had an original Domino and Treble Pools both finishing on more than a grand than this machine. Looks like it needs some work, certainly the original coin chute is missing. Also this cabinet is not like any of the other variations and wonder if not original to the machine with the slab top and base.....

I just didn't fancy a long drive to Devon :#:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/old-penny-mac ... true&rt=nc
Attachments
barrel1.jpg
barrel2.jpg
richard_goddard

Domino / Juge do Paix / Roll out the Barrel

Post by richard_goddard »

Hi all
I have a Domino which looks like it was converted (by Brenner, probably) into a Roll out the Barrel, but retains the arm linkage positions, the early bottle timer (not the clock which was added in the late twenties) and lacks the Brenner artwork (if you can call it that!). So as everything else is intact I'm reconverting it back into a Domino/Juge de Paix. The bartender artwork will need to be hand painted, but before I get this done, I know there were some repro art cards made a few years back - does anyone know where they finished up? It may be a better bet than having my artist friend paint new versions!

Cheers

Richard Goddard
Herefordshire
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Quite gutted to find this underneath haha
Attachments
IMG-20170512-WA0006a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Domino / Lucky Dice / Le Juge de Paix

Post by pennymachines »

This nice example for sale at Gameroomshow.com has the original metal tag with the American distributors name and address:
The Domino Company, 26th & Huntingdon Sts., Philadelphia, Pa.
Attachments
IMG_1239-e1508466608747a.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

The payouts take some working out.
bryans fan

Re: Domino / Lucky Dice / Le Juge de Paix

Post by bryans fan »

pennymachines wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:44 pm This nice example for sale at Gameroomshow.com
Nice price too at nearly £4 K !!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Gameroomshow prices are always pitched to deter tyre-kickers and time wasters. :lol:
Attachments
5-Domino-3-reel-Animated-Dice-Gamblers-Slot-_57.jpg
tag1.jpg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

pennymachines wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:51 pm Gameroomshow prices are always pitched to deter tyre-kickers and time wasters. :lol:
*BOWS*
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The Domino – an Unusual European Slot Machine Imported to the U.S. by Rick Crandall
This page summarises what we know about the Lucky Dice (mostly gleaned from this thread), supplemented with pictures of another example.
Attachments
79_Domino-Article-1_03-1.jpg
slackjack

Post by slackjack »

Greetings, I am new to this forum but not to coin op machines. I've been at this for decades. I am located in the USA. I have this Domino machine for many years and want to complete it or move it down the road. It is missing the coin entry as shown, if the pictures are there. I found only one picture of this type at rickcrandall.net with the coin entry on the side. The coin cup has the number 1069. The mechanism seems complete otherwise. Can you advise if parts are to be found or pictures and dimensions to fabricate the parts required? The machine is quite nice with original finish on the case. OR, knowledgeable folks tell me how bad is it? Thanks for your time and help.
Attachments
DOMINO SLOT MACHINE rickcrandall.net.jpg
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Greetings Jack and sorry to say I doubt we can help with that.
I've only seen one example with the coin acceptor on the side and it's shown in this thread. I thought I'd seen a larger image of it in one of the slot books, but can't find it, so perhaps I was mistaken. You could opt to blank off the side and recreate a more conventional front slot, but don't know how you (or I) would feel about making permanent changes to an original machine.