Jennings Peacock help

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
jpmhotpot

Jennings Peacock help

Post by jpmhotpot »

Hi everyone, I'm currently restoring a Jennings Peacock 1931/33 it has the gold award coin mech. Does anyone have information on getting hold of any coins or repro coins for this type of machine. I've seen some on ebay.com Mills/ Pace etc. but not Jennings. To be honest, any gold coin would do but the mech needs the right size it seems. I've tried different coins to get a scale on what size I need. The closest I've come is the old one penny coin 1d. The thickness is right but it needs to be say 1cm bigger in circumference. !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: jennings peacock help

Post by badpenny »

Hi jpmhotpot and welcome to us.

There are sites in Americaland but first of all ..... are you sure about it needs to be say 1cm bigger in circumference than an old penny?
That's over 5" around the outside man!
I imagine you mean 1 mm ? Or perhaps centimilligallons?

BP
jpmhotpot

Post by jpmhotpot »

yes I would say 1 or 2 mm around. Are all award coins same size? !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well I'm out of my comfort zone on a different issue.
I've never witnessed a Jennings Peacock with Gold Award.

However that doesn't mean a thing.
So I'll now sit back and allow the more informed to tell me I'm wrong and then we've all learnt something :cool:
Break out the popcorn
BP
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

There was I think a Peacock for sale recently? That had coins in the non handle side lower casting window and not mints. I haven't got a picture I'm afraid but someone will.

Well I think it was a Peacock...... Maybe the escalator model had a token option? Or one of the many revampers did a token option? Or maybe not?

GP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Size wise this must be what you want. It's exactly the size you describe. These came from Mr Slot in the USA for my Mills Extraordinary.
Is your machine using the standard Mills gold award dispenser? If so, I suspect this is a re-vamp form the time when the machine came to the UK and didn't want the mints. Sorry about the poor photo quality.
Attachments
coin2.jpg
coin1.jpg
aristomatic

Re: Jennings Peacock help

Post by aristomatic »

If the OP can post a pix of his machine that would be great? Cheers

GP
jpmhotpot

Post by jpmhotpot »

How do you post images on this site? :dammit:
jpmhotpot

Post by jpmhotpot »

!!THUMBSX2!!
Attachments
IMG_3453a.jpg
IMG_3454a.jpg
jpmhotpot

Post by jpmhotpot »

Posted images of the gold award mech/window display. This project is new to me I normally deal with machines from 60`s/70`s. I`ve always wanted to restore a classic American bandit so I bought it.
loads to do . needs new back top door lock / I'm thinking from other peacocks pics my pull arm is not right for this machine. The jp mech is missing where you have two trays of coins behind glass windows. Also it seems this machine had reel stop button at some point no more :tut The bonuses.... behind the back door it has the original jennings instructions also it has the original serial number badge on inside on the wood which matches a stamped number on the top cast. The reel strips which are original are in very good condition. At the moment I'm stripping the layers of paint which this machine has had over the years.
wow once you get the paint off the detail of cast really looks great.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Hi, thanks for the pictures.

Was this the one for sale just recently then? I just sold a Peacock. I had removed layers of battleship grey to get to the original paint colours, then just left it to the buyer to decide if they wanted to repaint or keep as is.

I'm sure someone on the site will have spare jackpot parts, just whether they want to sell them I suppose, I'm afraid I have none.
Have fun with your refurbishment Mr jpm.

GP
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well I have to say that's without doubt a gold award. Is there one of those windows on the other side of the cabinet?
My next doubt is because they detected a gold award payout by locating a slot in the payout disc edges ( where the kicker engages). I want to know how it does that when it's sitting on the wrong side? :o

Moving on now to peanuts, fed up with popcorn.

BP
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Well if it is the one that was for sale only recently there was a window on the opposite side as I had been sent the picture by a friend casually to ask what I thought of it but there were no coins visible on handle side window?

I'm sure a number of people have seen all sorts of token contraptions on the non handle side, but the majority of these are generally attached to the
mechanism frame itself and drop diagonally towards the centre of the mechanism to be tripped by some attachment on the slide stack?

This is of course attached to the lower front casting but on the opposite side? but with what appears to be the same trip arrangement as BP eludes to. Maybe
the mech trips in exactly the same way but there is some kind of horizontal rod linkage e.g. at the same height attached to the mechanism frame that transfers the mechanical force across to the opposite side to trip from the opposite side?

I suppose in theory this could run across either the front or the rear and then through?

The question I suppose is why it wouldn't have been done in the usual handle side?

If the OP could post some pictures of the front of the mechanism and an inside shot of the cabinet showing whole of the inside lower casting that would help greatly.

As to the origins of the machine, I suppose it's difficult to know, however some Jennings have a paper insert with serial number and usually details of reel bundle
configuration and coinage etc. If the paper insert is stamped with gold award then that would help a lot otherwise we are back to who knows what and when..............

GP
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

I have a peacock with the GA token award on the left hand side in working order.
i bought the tokens form Dave in America land for $10 each.
His email is - mrslot1@aol.com.
Attachments
020a.jpg
jpmhotpot

Post by jpmhotpot »

Hi all, Only one award window to left. All the Jennings peacock configurations with gold awards all have windows left & right cant find images of any with the one !PUZZLED! I would be interested in purchasing the jp parts for this machine but not sure if that's all it needs (supporting parts?) Also need the coins if any one can help repro coins would be OK. The extra pix on mech -
Attachments
IMG_3455a.jpg
IMG_3452a.jpg
IMG_3459a.jpg
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Hi Hotpots, yours has a window on left , just like mine?
the right hand side has the window frame but it is solid casting, not quite sure what you mean with two windows, there is only one token dispenser on the left hand side with the glazed window to show the tokens! !PUZZLED!
jpmhotpot

Post by jpmhotpot »

Hi nigel, Yes sorry just the the one window, some pics ive seen look as though they have two...
Is there any way I can date this machine to a year. Having the serial number at hand does a data base exist where I can find this out regards peter.
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

I have a database if you give me a serial number.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

not quite sure what you mean with two windows, there is only one token dispenser on the left hand side with the glazed window to show the tokens! !PUZZLED!
The more common(?) Peacock machines had a window each side (see below) for the mints. Some conversions to gold award simply used one of these windows. Yours certainly looks to be a rarer model with a purpose built gold award, all be it on the wrong side for easy operation. Mine sadly has no side windows. :#:
Attachments
peacock1.jpg
jpmhotpot

Post by jpmhotpot »

Nigel wrote:I have a database if you give me a serial number.
Serial number 115361
Model H
Victoria family