Mill Hi Top handle

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
alan57

Mill Hi Top handle

Post by alan57 »

I've noticed lately that the handle to my Mills Hi Top has begun to stick and doesn't return on its own. It doesn't happen every time, but I have noticed on the inside of the cabinet, the handle internal mechanism has started to rub on the inside - see picture. Is this normal and can it be adjusted to stop it from happening. I've adjusted the screw on the damper, but it doesn't seem to make much difference
Attachments
IMG_1372.JPG
coppinpr

Re: Mill Hi Top handle

Post by coppinpr »

This is a normal thing as they get very old. It's most likely not the rub against the case causing the stoppage.

Totally remove all the handle parts (easy to do); check the linkage to the piston but that is most likely OK; remove the handle, the boss and the internal bracket and clean all the parts. You will most likely find lots of old oil and grease, especially on the inside of the boss and the handle rim that goes through the boss. Take this opportunity to check the return spring - it might be getting loose. This too is very common and you often see handle springs latched further along their length to make them strong again. Lightly oil the inside of the boss with very thin oil and replace. This will more than likely fix the problem.
special when lit

Re: Mill Hi Top handle

Post by special when lit »

Often, the inside of the damper is all crudded up too. Strip it down & clean it out & make sure the rubber diaphragm is OK.