Kick Him in the Panzas

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
mei-mei

Kick Him in the Panzas

Post by mei-mei »

Post split and moved - Site Admin.

Hi, coppinpr, bit embarrassed to send you this, but you did say you liked pics! This is my first attempt at repairing a penny machine and it was a doozy. My father pulled the remains of this one out of a bombed out pub in London in approx 1946 then put it in the garage where it had been ever since. All that was left was the pin back board, badly charred, the two money tins, bent to hell and part of the imaging, also charred. I pieced it back together again from Dad's description of what it used to look like, downloading sympathetic images from the internet. Still working on it, it is a very amateur attempt and still needs two front plates (triangular bottom right and left) and a 3d sign. By the time I found a new cabinet for it, I was hooked and tinkered with a couple of other machines since. Mei-mei
Attachments
P1010001-(1)a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Kick Him in the Panzas

Post by badpenny »

Now that is interesting.
Thanks for posting.
Is this one of those machines whose theme was updated to reflect the anti Hitler sentiment.

If so, what was it before? :!?!:
BP
ps - 3d play was expensive in the 1940s that must have been about a £1 a go.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, Thanks for your comments. I wish I knew more about it. It is difficult to tell who the machine was made by as all relevent info was burnt off. None of the original case survived so no serial numbers or makers name. Judging by the quality of the image, it did look as though it might have been superimposed at some point, but again I can't say for sure. Do you know anything of the history of these types of war time machines? I would love to see some more images to see how they compare. The date 1941 is a guess as the last digit was missing, only had for sure 194?.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

P.S sorry forgot to say, I believe it was a penny machine originally, judging by the spacing of the pins, but I could only find chutes for a much smaller coin so I made the sizing for the old silver 3d coin which works quite well.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Interesting jackpot payout that I don't remember on any English machine. Mei-Mei do you happen to have any photos of what your father salvaged and you started with? As there may be clues that meant nothing to you but we might spot. thanks.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Not at home at the moment, but will check when I return and try to get some pics. Aprox mid next week.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

There are several other Hitler (and I think Tojo) related machines. Here are two:

hitler.jpg
hitler.jpg (37.15 KiB) Viewed 2663 times

Seems Hitler himself had slot machine problems... just like we do :NBG:
Attachments
hitler2.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Bally and Seeburg adverts from Billboard, July 31, 1943.
Attachments
bally.jpg
smashing-hitler.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

saw a great billboard add from 1944 for a "shoot Tojo and Hitler then hang them" machine but I dont know how to cut just that page from a web page of the whole issue, tell me how Mr P.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr wrote:saw a great billboard add from 1944 for a "shoot Tojo and Hitler then hang them" machine but I dont know how to cut just that page from a web page of the whole issue, tell me how Mr P.

Tojo and Hitler.png

Mr P is currently having a session with Nursey, and won't be fit for anything until cocoa time.

I think you're referring to the above?

The technique to capture a picture from the middle of any web page is: -
* Make sure the bit you want to isolate is viewable on your screen. If it's too big try choosing "Full Page" from Settings at the top of the page. Alternatively you can also Expand/Shrink the page contents also in Settings

* So, now you can see your object press the key marked "Print Screen".
* Now open MS Paint and press CTRL/V or "Paste"
* You'll now be looking at the whole of the page you saved from t'interweb.
* Click on "Select" from the menu at the top and highlight the bit you want to isolate, cut it out and save it as a new Paint.doc

Job's a good un !THUMBS!
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, I would copy the whole thing into your photos section then use the edit and crop option to trim the pic to the size you want. You can then paste it into where ever you want or print straight from the page.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thanks to all the contributors of the great hitler machines, I had not idea he was such a great hit! :lol:
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Home earlier than expected so as promised I have attached pics of the front and back of the damaged original. Pic one is the top part with the pin holes in it and you can just make out the image. A soldiers cap just right of top centre and a hand out to the right. Pic 2 the reverse of pic one. Pic 3 lower half of the board with part of the wording just about visible. Pic 4 the reverse of pic 3. I must have thrown the money catchers away as I can't find them anywhere, but they were pretty mangled. I have put feelers out to my uncle who spent as many hours in the pub as my father did, mainly because his memory is better than my fathers. I will post anything of interest. Glad to hear any more thoughts you have on this.
Attachments
P1010001-(6)a.jpg
P1010002-(4)a.jpg
P1010002-(3)a.jpg
P1010004-(2)a.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks for that Mei, and wow, amazing for you to have rebuilt the machine from so little! What made your father salvage such a small part of the game? Or was this just part of a lot of other items?
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Yeah this is part of the reason I am going to see my uncle. Following a short conversation on the phone, he mentioned that there was some controversy surrounding this machine, and dad had pulled it from the pub to try to resolve this. Unfortunately my father has dementure and only remembers certain aspects about those times and even the ones he remembers are a bit muddled. This weekend I am taking the original bits and what I have produced down to see my uncle and hopefully it will become clearer.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

One thing that strikes me is it seem to be made of pine which makes me wonder if it was a one-off scratch-built machine, perhaps the work of clever individual, rather than factory made.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, just got back from my uncles and it would look as though you might be right. As I understand it, the machine appeared in the pub sometime around Feb 46 and not 41 as I had first thought. For the first week it was a great success as it paid out sometimes as many as 5 x pennys at a time. By the end of the following week it had almost dried up and was only paying out 1 at a time but because of the early windfall people still were flocking to it. The regulars made a complaint to the landlord who just laughed it off. This went on for a while until a gas exolosion, not an air raid, partially demolished the pub and it had to be pulled down. My father got that bit muddled also, getting it confused with something else. He did however find the bits in the wreckage and told my uncle later that he had found several pennys glued or welded to the metal payout cups thus reducing the amount of any payout. My uncle said that the overall layout of the machine is about right although the colour scheme is wrong. He also thought that the machine had been put together by the landlord as a scam and also added that if the landlord had not moved away, he might have felt the wrath (my words, his were unprintable) of half of London! :roll:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Good strewthness!
Do you mean to say the machine was being operated by unscrupulousness.
Heavens to Murgatroyd, who'd have thought such a thing could occur? :o
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

He he, nod nod wink wink ;-) If that was the worst crime being commited during war time, I would be very surprised!