Sega "Bonanza Star" double jackpot

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
roller

Sega "Bonanza Star" double jackpot

Post by roller »

I am new to the slot machines and a novice.
I have found one that I like from Henry Powell Automatics.
It's for a Sega "Bonanza Star" double jackpot fully refurbished. It's £890. This will be a very big investment for me. Would I be OK with this one and is it a good machine?

Many thanks for your reply in advance.
widget2k4

Re: Sega "Bonanza Star" double jackpot

Post by widget2k4 »

Welcome to the forum.

If I was you I would hold back and have a think about it. There are much nicer machines available than a Sega and that's a lot of money.
mervyngoodhew

Post by mervyngoodhew »

For my 2 penny worth, if you like it - buy it, you know it's going to work from Henry Powell.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: roller,
And my !2CENTS! worth - it depends what you want. If you're after something that looks good and works well from the start and don't mind paying for that - go ahead. On the other hand, if you're keen to learn something about the working of these things and don't mind getting grease up your fingernails, I'd echo widget's advice. Have a browse around this forum, if you haven't already, and learn about the various available machines. Also check out this site and others and maybe attend at least one auction, to get a handle on relative values.
roller

Post by roller »

Thank you for your responses.
It's nice to know it's been fully refurbished and re chromed and to know I won't have any issues with it is a bonus.
I have seen them on auction sites that have already been sold for £450 but don't look anywhere as good as this one.
Does the jackpot automatically refill itself or refill as you play or does it have to be manually refilled after winning the bonus?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The jp will refill as you play.

All slot machines are worth what you are willing to pay, nothing else. For me, the machine you're looking at is in great condition but ordinary considering the very high price and not for me, but this is my view only.

Justifying the cost really depends on why you want it. If you want a one off, only needs dusting, machine that looks good in a prime position then it's not overly expensive. If you're thinking of starting a collection and this is the start you will soon be disappointed that you bought it. If you're intrigued by the history and workings of slots then it's definitely not for you.
So, bottom line is, it MIGHT be just the thing for you or it might not - only you will know. You have done the right thing in asking advice but our advice should only be general guide. :cool:
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Another thing to consider is if you do buy it and find it's not for you, expect to take a loss on it.
I think there is nothing more satisfying than restoring a machine yourself - it makes it so much more personal, and if you do decide to sell it you will probably only lose the time you spent on it and not any money.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Just so you're aware, this machine doesn't have two jackpots (some machines do). The term "double jackpot" is actually a ruse to make punters think they're going to get paid twice. It means there are two winning combinations that pay the jackpot. Sega did make a "Double Pay" version of this series, but this is not it.

What it should have is a working reserve jackpot (if you decide to buy, check the reserve is working). This is part of the jackpot unit which, once the visual jackpot coin holder is full, begins to trap coins in the reserve coin area above the main chute. This means when the jackpot pays the reserve coins fall into the main chute ready for the next big win, so it's actually never empty and encourages the punters to play. These were often removed by operators as they were problematic, but at this price I would expect it to be there and working.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Another point, have you actually been and seen the machine? Normally Henry doesn't have them ready to go and does them after he gets the order I'm sure.
roller

Post by roller »

coppinpr wrote:The jp will refill as you play.

All slot machines are worth what you are willing to pay, nothing else. For me, the machine you're looking at is in great condition but ordinary considering the very high price and not for me, but this is my view only.

Justifying the cost really depends on why you want it. If you want a one off, only needs dusting, machine that looks good in a prime position then it's not overly expensive. If you're thinking of starting a collection and this is the start you will soon be disappointed that you bought it. If you're intrigued by the history and workings of slots then it's definitely not for you.
So, bottom line is, it MIGHT be just the thing for you or it might not - only you will know. You have done the right thing in asking advice but our advice should only be general guide. :cool:
For the minute this is a one off purchase ...unless I get the bug. But with a stand this is going to be a very considerable purchase if I go ahead!
I do like the workings of the machines this is what drawn me to them.
I don't have the time to get a do upper and haven't got a clue what to do. Just worried if I go to an auction I won't know what I'm looking for and as I don't drive will be hard to sort it or get delivered.
I've seen lots of machines on Elephant Auctions but I'd only have a picture and description to go on.

Does any one have any suggestions for a better machine? Mmmmmmmmmm Not sure what to do now. !PUZZLED!
Last edited by roller on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
roller

Post by roller »

widget2k4 wrote:Another point, have you actually been and seen the machine? Normally Henry doesn't have them ready to go and does them after he gets the order I'm sure.
It's ready to go, just needs 12volt led system fitted for reels and top box and would like it converted to 20p play.
It's had bottom of machine and arm rechromed.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

In my opinion a Mills high top is a much nicer machine, the sega ones are OK as a first machine but would expect to pay about 400 for a mint one, mint restored high tops go for about 550 to 650 approx, sega parts are all copies of Mills and anyone on here would probably say they would rather have an original Mills?

Still at the end of the day if you like it and can afford it go for it, at least it's piece of mind it will be working when you get it, but be warned it can and will stop working at some point as they were never 100 percent reliable and with the age things go wrong, you will soon start to learn about them when your constantly unjamming them etc but that's all part of the fun and learning.

Good luck with your decision
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Welcome!

Firstly don't be discouraged as you are not the first or the last novice on any Forum after half a dozen posts to say I'm not sure what to do now...............?
It's great to get advice but sometimes it can almost make it harder to move forward. As you don't drive that could reduce your options. If your location is close to a member here, they may be willing to show you their collection and that may help you choose a certain model style over another and it may be an opportunity for you to see the complexity of the mechanics first hand.

It's always easier to understand the advice when someone can demonstrate in front of you, in person. Unfortunately, there will probably be as much advice regarding choice of coin as there is regarding choice of machine make or model and price..................

Take your time.
Best

GP
roller

Post by roller »

There is a Mills Hi Top in black through Henry that is £799.

Are slots a high price through Henry because of the full restoration etc?
I've just bought a book from Amazon regarding prices inside machines etc. I think I best have a read first.

Can slots play up more/jam if they are converted to play 10p 20p so on? I would prefer for it to pay current really.

Thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it.
roller

Post by roller »

aristomatic wrote:If your location is close to a member here, they may be willing to show you their collection and that may help you choose a certain model style over another and it may be an opportunity for you to see the complexity of the mechanics first hand.
Good point...
Is there any one in the Birmingham area with a collection willing to show me and discuss? I would really appreciate it.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Machines will be more prone to jams and incorrect payouts when they are converted to modern coins, best to leave them on the coin they were designed for.
His prices are higher because of his name and reputation, but I would still rather see it in person before parting with that amount of cash. I have seen some restorations that are terrible when you get a good look and some are fantastic.
roller

Post by roller »

That's my only issue as I don't drive I've got to go on pics and the trusting of the seller.
Have most of the people on the forum bought by auction? The only place really for buying them I've come across is Henry Powells. I've looked over eBay but if I'm looking wrong I can't really find any that look any good.
I can't believe the amount there is in the US but can't believe the price too! Some are more expensive than in the UK.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Now you're getting the feel of what's involved I think you should take stock of where you are with this.

First it's clear you genuinely want to own a machine and not just a "talking point " in the corner.

Second, you are, as a beginner, scared the machine might not work/breakdown and it looks like a mad house inside. On this point don't worry, these machine were built like battleships (as you will notice when you try to lift one). Whatever machine you buy, with our help or a little experience you CAN fix it, ALWAYS!

Third, buying a machine is a very personal choice, and that's why us lot are pussy footing about and not telling you what to do, but as you may have noticed from the later posts the boys are getting a feel for what you are looking for and making more definite comments. So I'll join the throng. Please note these are just ideas and you (and others) may not agree.

If I was spending that much money, and it was my first machine I wouldn't buy that machine. The Segas are nice (I have one in my collection and sold one at our Coventry auction in November), but they are late machines and lack both history and the classic lines of a truly collectable machine. Look for a classic machine that's working when you buy it. Ask a local forum member to go look at it with you (he will). Coming from HP is a plus at a price and not always a success. I know of two people who bought from him and the machines did not work 100% from day one. HP will help and is by no means a con man but these machines are old at best. Unless the stand is something special, look for one elsewhere and save the money.

Just to show how we might think differently from a newbe, when you said the machine was just waiting for LED lighting, the general scream from the forum members was heard from here. Treefrog went and sat with a couple of dozen of his machines till he calmed down, BP had a little lie down and Mr P. himself had to call nursey.

Here are a couple of photos of machines I'd prefer (can you guess I like the '30s-'40s designs?) with rough prices you MIGHT expect to pay for a good one. I you look at these and they don't grab you over the Sega... then buy the Sega. You know you want one, and we will look after it for you one way or another for sure.

Someone said earlier that if you buy the Sega expect to lose money if you sell it... very true. The machines below however would not lose their value and might be expected to increase.

hi-top yellow.jpg

Mills Hi-top £600-£800

my ectra.jpg

Mills Extraordinary £750-£1000

hals jennings finished.jpg

Jennings Governor £850-£1000

jackpot buckley.jpg

Buckley "Criss Cross" £450-£600