AMCO Tank Buster identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

AMCO Tank Buster identified

Post by gameswat »

Hey - anybody know what this is and where it came from?? I've only got these pics so far and have been told it's complete but some parts are currently off. Looks like there's some kind of missing track for a coin to roll down and you use the knob on the left to try and drop it into the tank, which sets off a buzzer and light until you release the coin with the front button. I've already questioned the owner but have yet to hear back from him. Machine is in Australia and appears to be running on 1D though don't know of any others here. US or maybe UK??? Thanks.
Attachments
tank 1.jpg
tank3.jpg
tank4.jpg
malcymal

Re: unknown 50's/60's tank arcade game?

Post by malcymal »

Looks like it's been hit by a tank, good luck with it though.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Can't say I've ever seen one. So, although it may be British, I'm thinking not. The cabinet looks 60s/70s style. Maybe when you get it, it might be clearer whether it's got a specific manufacturer's style about it or has utilised an existing game cabinet. It may be that an operator created it as a one off or a small run. Maybe the tank, or motor will give some clue on country or origin (although I guess the tank itself could be an import/export anywhere). Hope you keep us informed as to how it progressed... definitely a neat machine!
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I was interested to read the post by Coin-op, as I too have never come across one in 15 + years of collecting. I also thought it looked as if it could possibly be a one-off built in an existing case. I think it was the look of the mech that made me think that. It certainly looks interesting.
I did notice it was sat on a Bryans clock if I'm not mistaken!
Looking forward to more info.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey, thanks for the replies. So it's not english. Possibly Australian, though looks more Japanese, maybe by someone like Sega?? I once saw a long list of Sega games on someone's site but can't find it now. The artwork is silk screened and far too good for just a one off. Definitely made in some numbers. Australia went to decimal coinage in Feb 1966, so if it is 1D play it has to pre-date that. Will possibly do a trade with the owner but not sure yet.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

gameswat wrote: Will possibly do a trade with the owner but not sure yet.
What’s to think about? :D It’s a nice quirky little machine that requires a little skill and judgement to operate; am I right in thinking it is battery powered? I would find room for it in my modest collection if one turned up for sale in the UK. :tarah:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I think the list of sega games was on this link http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=838.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Finally got some more info from the owner. He says that four examples came to Australia out of New Zealand. But he thinks they were originally made in the UK! I think more likely that they were made in NZ since none of you English guys know of them nor do any Aussie collectors. I won't be trading for it though as the owner sold a good example for a hell of a lot more than I think they're worth! And I generally like them a lot older.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

gameswat wrote:I won't be trading for it though as the owner sold a good example for a hell of a lot more than I think they're worth!
Hi :D , did you get any more photos of this one or the good example machine he talks about? I would love to see the finished machine, regards Stuart. :tarah:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I doubt I'll see any more pics from the guy as it took two months to get the first lot out of him!! And email replies usually take at least a week or more..............
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

slotalot wrote:Hi :D , did you get any more photos of this one or the good example machine he talks about? I would love to see the finished machine, regards Stuart. :tarah:
Do I detect the faint whirrings of the Slotalot Incorporated Workshops firing up for a new project? :D
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

gameswat wrote:he thinks they were originally made in the UK!
It could still be that they did in fact come out of the UK. They could have been a small production run by an arcade owner straying over into the manufacturing side. Even if they made say 30 or 40, that's still a small run and would make it a relatively obscure machine today (taking into account scrapped machines). We might as well claim it if no one else does...after all, that sort of fits in with our colonial history anyway :P
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Badpenny wrote:Do I detect the faint whirrings of the Slotalot Incorporated Workshops firing up for a new project? :D
I always keep a keen edge on my twist drills and have a freshly ironed pair of bib and brace overalls ready for just such an occasion should it arise. Let us not forget the family motto taken from the Latin.

unus man's purgamentum est an alius man's thesaurus :didact:
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

Hi there.....this is an early 60s N.Z. game called ''TANK BUSTER''.....named after the U.S. plane of the same name.....and there would have been a cardboard likeness of the plane attached to the second rail (yours is missing).

You press the left button to set the penny rolling.......and then the right to release the coin (from behind said plane cutout).... all the while trying to get the penny into the tank.... which would, in turn, set off the buzzer and light the bulb on the playfield......

If you look carefully on the inside top right hand corner there should be a number punched into the clear timber and another on the inside cabinet itself that should match.......... It should be below 25.........as this was the rumoured number of production...... This machine is highly sought after in N.Z...... It is based on the Korean war.....and the tank should have a yellow star on it to represent Korea.......Todd.

Factory: AMCO Machine Supplies, Roger Newman.
I still have one in my collection.......original glass has 'TANK BUSTER' at the top.
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

After checking your photos again.....I noticed you are missing the outer cabinet...... The penny was inserted from the top of the cabinet (leftside) via an extended chrome slot.....and once it dropped in it would sit held by a pin on the 1st plastic track.....waiting for the player to release it by pushing the left button in....... Very popular game....well made.......rare.

Once I get the hang of posting pics....I will add a shot of my completed game...... I also owned NO#1 Tank Buster......which had the same material that's under your tank..... so I'm guessing yours may be early in production...... NO#1 sold for $3800 N.Z. to a Christchurch collector...........(Nigel Dowd).
Best of luck.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey Todd, again thanks for the interesting information. I'd forgotten all about this machine. I never traded for it so, other than these photos, that's all I ever saw of it or any of the others. Was way too expensive to bother with. Cheers, gameswat.
ddstoys

Re: AMCO Tank Buster identified

Post by ddstoys »

I seem to be picking up a lot of your left overs Rory.

I received this game today, pieced it back together to see what's missing and only seems to be a piece of timber between the cashbox and the door, so I'm pretty happy.

Will be a very cool game once done.
Attachments
IMG_5274a.jpg
IMG_5275a.jpg
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Well rumours aren't always true - they must have made more than 25 as mine is number 28.
Attachments
IMG_5333a.jpg
oldschool

Post by oldschool »

This machine had a very short run (20-30max). It was supplied by Roger Newman, Mt Albert N.Z along with Flapball (1d) and Hi Ball Netball (1d). The Tank Buster has a production number impressed into the wood in two places; one on the inside (top right inside corner of the door) and one on the inside panel that gets screwed to the wall. It was called Tank Buster because there was a thick cardboard plane (known as a tank buster) fixed to the second rail, ie: one button to release the penny, then another button to push out the cardboard cut-out of the plane to try and bomb the tank, which in turn will set off the light and buzzer... and you get your coin back.

Hope this helps.

There are many N.Z penny operated machines.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Thanks for the info much appreciated I have flip ball also and now I'm thinking about it has a similar shaped front door is this the game? Also have a high ball basketball would this be the same? I restored a similar game but netball themed that had a steel case would that be the one?

Thanks daniel
Attachments
IMG_3012a.jpg
IMG_4879a.jpg