Sega mechanical slot machine

General vintage slot machine related topics.
seancalla

Sega mechanical slot machine

Post by seancalla »

Just a bit of background.....Have restored a number of purely mechanical machines, the only electrics in them were lights, my main hobby is jukeboxes, but every so often I restore a slot machine.
I have got hold of a Sega slot machine which is mechanical with some electrical parts which I haven't come across before. My problem is that the solenoid which operates the lever so the arm can be pulled when a coin in inserted is noisy and buzzing loudly. To start with there's a transformer with 220 on primary side, with 110 volts on the secondary (for the fluorescent lights) and 48 volts AC which is wired onto a half wave rectifier, 6 volts AC and 28 volts AC. The main area I am interested in is the 28 volts AC which powers the solenoid according to the circuit diagram on the back. I have measured the voltage when the solenoid is operating and it measures 19.5 volts AC, the resistance on it is 5,5 ohms, nothing marked on it indicating specification. I have cleaned the solenoid but no difference. Just wondering - would the lack of voltage cause this? It's unusual to get a voltage drop from a transformer or is it possible that the solenoid is faulty? Apart from that the machine is playing and paying out fine.
There are a few other components towards the back of the machine that I am not sure of. One is a rotary dial, the other a type of relay with a number dial on the side of it. May be related to jackpot payments, but not sure. I will post some photos.
seancalla
coppinpr

Re: Sega mechanical slot machine

Post by coppinpr »

The noisy solenoid is very common. I have found in the past that they sometimes get loud when left sitting idle for long periods and better if you use them a lot. It might just be it's been sitting around. The units at the back (can't be sure without a photo) are most likely a jackpot payout and its counter. Does the machine have a jackpot that, for example, keeps paying while lit? This would account for the rotary unit.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Some photos attached of the machine. I measured voltage at the transformer and it's twenty eight volts AC, but at solenoid is only 19 volts AC. The jackpot with three bells pays twenty via the payout slides; the bars don't seem to give any payout. I will take a few other photos of the reel symbols later. The top payout slide is attached to a coin tube at the front but this doesn't seem to operate. There are a few other blade switches at the side of the reel bundle - I can't figure out what they are for, maybe possible that the payouts have been modified or adjusted back when it was in commercial use.
seancalla
Attachments
20170210_112320a.jpg
20170210_112329a.jpg
20170210_112329-(1)a.jpg
20170210_112338_resized.jpg
20170210_112347_resized.jpg
20170210_112401_resized.jpg
20170210_112425_resized.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Buzzing is a common problem with old e/m machines especially pinball, strange you've not had to deal with it before? Over time all the parts related to the coil plunger and stop will take a hell of a beating and it's this wear and tear that causes the trouble, vibration from all the slop is causing the buzzing. Very common on any coil or solenoid that can stay pulled in for any length of time like flippers and alternating relays etc. I used to replace any noisy coil stop and plunger I could with either NOS or the best original parts I had. If using a slightly worn part I'd carefully reface both ends to as dead flat as possible. Also helped to replace the plastic, alloy or brass sleeve inside the coil. In this instance it looks like the other end of the plunger fits onto a metal rod, so also check the plunger hole and rod for excessive wear. Another issue can be someone has replaced the plunger return spring with overly powerful which causes buzzing as the coil has to fight harder to stay pulled in. But even after all that it was nigh on impossible to make any pinball silent like it was when new, just too many parts with slight wear.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I can see the name "crazy bells" on the label, as Coppin suggested if this is the machine it has a win feature that plays while the Bell light is lit, which is what the rotary component you mentioned is for.

There was one of these listed on and off eBay the last week, is it the same one.

See one on YouTube below in operation with the feature

Solenoid should be a easy replacement if that is the cause, as many of these types of machines have been broken up, may have one myself.

seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi thanks for the replies.
Yes it's the same type as the one on YouTube. Didn't see that one on eBay. I didn't realise that bell feature win with the bell lighting up.The two bulbs behind mine were missing. Is there any particular spec on the bulbs or would any of the 6 volt GE types do.
I tried putting rubber where the solenoid housing is attached to dampen out the noise. It reduces it slightly. It might be that the plunger as a lot of play from side to side but if I tighten it up too much it upsets the lever above it and machine would be in play mode all the time and not need any coins.(if you get my meaning). Have had this before with jukebox keyboards but usually solved with cleaning and lubrication.
I did try a different spring but it makes no difference.
Treefrog you mentioned you might have a solenoid. Can you message me if you are willing to sell it.
The solenoid issue has taken more time than the stripping paint of the cabinet priming and repainting so I am like a man on a mission
Seancalla
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If the bulbs behind the feature were removed, rather than blown, then I suspect the feature has been disabled. It would be nice to get it working but you will need to trace the on switch (on the vertical payout levers) through the "stay on" stage (probably through the rotary unit) to the off switch, either the final stage of the rotary or a cam switch somewhere near where the arm cycles.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
I see what you mean. Unfortunately I have run into another problem. I plugged it in last night and the transformer is making a hell of a noise followed by smoke. I turned it off and checked all the wiring and fuses and they all are OK. It's the first transformer I have come across that is faulty. I think the likelihood of getting a replacement is slim. It has a 28v 6v 0v and two 53v on the secondary side.
Seancalla
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Doesn't sound good :shock: but you should be able to get a replacement. TF of GS will be along to advise - they know where to get any part. :cool:
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Has anyone got a transformer they would be willing to sell to suit the Sega Crazy Bells slot machine with 240v AC input and outputs 6 v AC, 28 v AC and 53 v AC?
Thanks
Seancalla
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You sent me a private pm, I will not commit to being able to help on parts as I genuinely have no idea where things are as I thought I had on old Windsor I had broken up, gods knows where they are though....

I will ping you details of a man who has broken hundreds of them up and is likely to have the parts you need
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Thanks for that
Seancalla
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

You could always replace your one transformer with more than one transformer. 6V trannies are easy and cheap, and all it does is run the lights, so a 6V 1A will do you. As for the other, look for a 50V with center tap, or 25-0-25, which you should find at Farnell. One end to the center is 25V, one end to the other is 50V, which are near enough for this job.

A possible cause of the transformer damage would be if a large solenoid got stuck and wouldn't pull right in. AC solenoids take vastly more current when they're open, then as the armature closes the current drops off considerably. That would surely overheat the transformer. The fuse will be rated for the initial large current, so very likely it wouldn't blow and do its job of protecting the transformer. It's a general caution to be careful with AC solenoids and never, ever, operate one without the armature in place.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Thanks for the tip, would joining up the two 25vac's to give 50 affect the 25-0 tap?
regards
seancalla
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

No, it won't. You get 25V between one end and the middle, and 50V between the same one end and the other.

Without actually being there and looking at the wiring, I'm not able to give you specific advice, but you can trace it off the old transformer. The 25 and 50 volt circuits will have a common connection, which will be one of the transformer terminals. That will probably also be a common for the 6V circuit, and (if it was wired properly) earth.

I took a quick look on Farnell for you and suggest this one -
http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/vtx-146 ... dp/1675074
At 120VA it may be overkill, but it isn't much more expensive than the next smaller one and it will certainly do the job. Blue and Brown are the mains input. Black will be common, connect Red and Orange for the 25V output, and Yellow is the 50V output.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Thanks for the tip. I will get one and update all when I get it wired up
Seancalla
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Sorry for the questions.....
.but trying to figure out in my head how the yellow on its own which is 25vac will supply 50vac when the orange and red are connected together and using the remaining Wrexham as common
Seancalla
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

The yellow produces 25V with respect to the orange, and the red produces 25V with respect to the black (common). So when you connect the orange and the red, you get 50V between the yellow and the black, and 25V between the orange/red and the black.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Thanks.
I see now what you mean.
Regards,
Seancalla
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

When in doubt, it's always safest to ask.