Wonder Win and Place allwin machine

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Re: Wonder Win and Place allwin machine

Post by gameswat »

The flipper lever certainly does have a taper pin attaching it to the steel shaft, how else would it be attached? Rebel are you saying that Wonders cast the brass flip lever onto the steel shaft? I don't have one here currently to look at but i don't think I've ever seen an allwin done that way?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I may be wrong (I usually am)... but I think we've gone a bit too deep here. The only taper pins MM need worry about is the one holding the trigger shaft to the hammer arm and the handle shaft
to the payout crank.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I've had a wonders before where the taper pin was really hard to get out, the best thing to do is make something or get someone to help hold the door so you can get the shaft onto something solid to hit against, rather than trying to get it out without supporting the shaft. I was fortunate enough to have a big vice to hold it in, but if you could get it supported on something solid and get a good whack at it, it will definitely move, even if it's not in straight.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Gameswat - I can only speak for my example but I can assure you that there is no external pin on the flicker - the outer boss sits flush with the plate and the shaft is pinned on the inside with the hammer sitting flush.
Attachments
win and place flicker 007.JPG
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

pennymachines wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:58 pm I may be wrong (I usually am)... but I think we've gone a bit too deep here. The only taper pins MM need worry about is the one holding the trigger shaft to the hammer arm and the handle shaft
to the payout crank.
I've gone too deep by pointing out it will be easier to remove the external taper pin that is likely undamaged, rather than the internal screwed up one!?? :o

Mei, as shown below on a payout knob, sometimes the outside taper pins are hard to spot because they were ground flush and obviously chromed or nickelled over. I've never seen a trigger lever that wasn't held this way though.
Attachments
handle taper pin copy.jpg
lever taper pin.jpg
lever taper pin 2.jpg
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

" The only taper pins MM need worry about is the one holding the trigger shaft to the hammer arm and the handle shaft"
Wow, how much simpler is that. I have the taper pins on the handles as shown in Gameswat email and Oh Boy are they hard to spot. What with the pitting and rust I had to take a magnifying glass to help to spot them. So basically I don't have to take out the inside gubbins at all then? Has any one of you thought about producing a basic manual for idiots like me?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Every allwin I've seen has external pins through the hammer handle like gameswat says they are normally chromed over and can't be seen easily
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Mei, normally the inside taper pins are the ones to remove as they originally had extra length sticking out either side of the hole for ease of repair. But in your case it seems a previous owner overly damaged the hammer pin and jammed it in place, so the outside pin will be easier. The outside pins were originally hammered into place then filed flush and plated. If you clean up the outer trigger with fine sandpaper you should easily be able to see which side is the smaller that you need to tap from. Use a punch as close as possible in size to the small end of the pin. Once you have the shaft out of the game I'd suggest you place it in a vice and have a good look at the hammer and check it doesn't wobble. Sometimes a previous owner will keep hammering the taper pin deeper to try and remove any slop caused from wear and will end up basically mushrooming or riveting the pin in place.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi Gameswat, yeah that pretty much describes the exact look of the pins, bent, mushroomed and broken off. Your suggestion sounds solid so as soon as I get the tools I will have a go. Ta again, MM
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

My apologies Mei Mei for having misled you. I should have put no 'VISIBLE' pin outside. I guess I was thinking that scraping the chrome finish off to find the pin might not be something you would want to tackle. Given the issues you have with the inner pins I made an error of judgement and didn't word it as well as I might have. Sorry about that.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Not a prob 13rebel, no need to beat yourself up about it. I would have tried the outside taper pins as it certainly would be less effort, if I was not so worried about getting the replacement pins to look neat. Being a bit of a sledge hammer person :smash: I thought it more prudent to try to repair the damage done inside where it matters a little less if the finish is not so perfect. MM
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've never had to remove the outer pins on handle or trigger, but Gameswat has encountered more allwins than I have. I still think, with the right tools, filing off the ends and following Widget's advice about supporting the shaft, you should have no problem getting those pins out. Seems like they need to be replaced anyway. If you follow Gameswat's suggestion and remove the outer pins, you'll probably want to replace them and file flush before rechroming, so they're hidden behind the chrome again - in which case, you'll still want to remove the other pins.

You do realize you may have caused an international incident by asking this question. !:STOP:!
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

If I re-chrome after re-attaching the handles with pins, won't that mean I will never be able to get them off again? What international incident? Have I breached some protocol? '!'
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

pennymachines wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:58 pm I may be wrong (I usually am)...
Now that sounds familiar! !NYAH!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

mei-mei wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:10 pm If I re-chrome after re-attaching the handles with pins, won't that mean I will never be able to get them off again?
You shouldn't need to get them off, but it would be the same process - scrape off chrome and whack the pin.
mei-mei wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:10 pm Have I breached some protocol? '!'
No, but I may have (I usually do).
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Sometimes this site get really weird. !SHARKY!
JC

Post by JC »

Bloody hell, four pages........ :NBG:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Simple answer: Bigger hammer. Save the electrons!

J Peterson
Hammered in the USofA
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thanks J Peterson, def my kinda DIY! :smash:
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

I hesitate to ask this question, having stirred up such a poop storm the last time, but here goes. Does anyone know where I can get 1/4 inch ply to replace the back board of this machine. Woodworm have had breakfast lunch and supper for years leaving it looking like Swiss cheese. All the DIY shops here are in metric and the closest in metric sticks out the back by a few mm. Really annoying. :dammit: