Bradshaw's Little Stockbroker

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bradshaw's Little Stockbroker

Post by pennymachines »

You can see your machine on location amongst rows of Cricketers and Little Stockbrokers towards the end of this clip of Margate's Dreamland arcade, 1953.

https://www.metacafe.com/watch/4559342/o_dreamland/
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

One of your better finds Mr P and no mistake!
At 2.44 there's a Whales of Redcar/Caille type Greyhound racer, however apart from the case being cheap and harsh looking it takes only one coin and isn't made to bet on different colours. So what's going on there?

Trying to look at the symbols on the wheel it looks like there are gaps between each dog, so is it pretending to pay out on alternative symbols?

I'm starting to wonder if I should take stronger tablets as I often find when I watch these old seaside films I start hearing maniacal laughing !PUZZLED!

BP
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

And I notice that BAC also supplied allwins as well? Not seen any reference to that before.
Attachments
BAC alwin.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Great video, and we of course know who owned most of these machines and are being slowly sold off. Of the Stockbrokers, could not see the match, but I guess they may have been refurbed between these dates or there are many others in the background.

Good point BP, I guess not seeing the award it would work like the Town Broker type machine/payout

As a matter of interest, at the Elephant, maybe two auctions ago, there was a restored Stock Broker on a metal framed stand, which looked really good... Would these have been originally on a similar type stand, as you never see any?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Really good video, and my Cricketers could be either of those shown in close-up. I can see no differences to mine as it was before I started to strip it down. Interesting thing about the video, I've looked at it carefully and not one person looks to be having a good time!! Not a single smile, half the kids look scared to death, miserable old geezers stomping past the stalls. Very odd.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think this has much to do with Lindsay Anderson's personal perspective and how he conveyed it with shot selection and editing. I believe the lad who appears to stare glumly at the Laughing Sailor was more likely witnessing the torture scenes.
Anderson’s first feature for the Free Cinema was “O Dreamland” (1953). Dragging a comparatively light-weight camera around a post-bellum amusement park in Margate Anderson shows us with his quick editing and found sound a sensual, disturbing world. This is austerity fun pursued joylessly by the sunken cheeked and toothless, everything is peeling paint and jerry-built; the rusted mechanics show through, grinding and shuddering, as they must have done in people’s lives in that benighted time. What he films is the dull ache for consumption, the pinched greed of those who habitually have not: the cheap gee-gaws and kewpie dolls, the unvaried foodstuffs dipped into an ancient ocean of grease; rock ‘n’ roll blaring from wartime tannoys like strange news from a distant star.
http://theholbornmag.com/2013/03/21/lindsay-anderson/
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

In an attempt to understand how this machine works, I've downloaded the patent and it makes interesting and, to me anyway, surprising reading. The first thing I noticed is that although the "stocks and shares" version is stated as the "constructional" version it could be converted to several other options which would be made available.

I already knew these were both pre-determined and future pay but what really struck me was the actual intention of the machine, not as a gambling machine but simply as a game with no hidden intent to deceive the player. It states that the reason that three tabs can be seen in the window is so the player can determine if it is worth playing again as the tabs are mounted in such a way as to allow the player to work out the next result. It states that the player could either watch the machine and work out the sequence or read the sequence from the attached card (interesting that this card is often missing from the machine). It actually says that if the player plays the machine long enough he will recover all his money LESS THE NORMAL CHARGE FOR PLAYING THE GAME.
I think our modern minds would see this as an odd concept, but it does make this a very interesting machine.

I also found I'm missing a very odd spring, it bends almost 180 deg round the central shaft pulling the kicker back into position.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote:It states that the player could either watch the machine and work out the sequence or read the sequence from the attached card (interesting that this card is often missing from the machine).
I saw this on the red Stockbroker (with stand) at the Elephant House and took a close-up, having never noticed this card before.
Attachments
stockbroker-dial.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Thanks for posting the sequence card. I've been looking for one off these. Although my machine has the oval card holder and not the round one, I think I can do something with it. !!THUMBSX2!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

OK, so I've finished the Stockbroker, and I think it looks OK, a far cry from the state I got it in (see above). Just the bottom display plate to attach correctly and a couple of new bolts to paint so NOW can someone tell me how it works :!?!: I don't seem to be missing any parts but I can't make it work!! What am I missing...? Please!!!
Attachments
stock a1.jpg
stock finish.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I appear to have got this machine onto ebay without it being removed by quoting facts from the 1927 patent :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111170203867? ... 1555.l2649
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

Hi, yes it appears you do have a spring missing!
Attachments
stockbroker-spring.jpg
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

£200 less £20 for selling ...that was a cheap machine. !PUNISH!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here's some 1955 Pathe outtakes of Granville Bradshaw talking about his Omega engine which he hoped would revive Britain's motor manufacturing industry. He's best known for his innovative aircraft and motorbike engines, but I think his amusement machine designs made him more money.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/new-omega-engine
(Sound starts about half way through).
ptiedtke

Post by ptiedtke »

Please help me find the patent for Bradshaw's Little Stockbroker. Bought one at auction, seems to have original and newer parts plus poor recent restoration for the auction.
ptiedtke

Post by ptiedtke »

Forgive me. Found link on P1. Thx!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

No problem - and welcome to the site. !WELCOME!
There'll be a new patents page shortly, but still accessible via the same links.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

This 1920 ABC 398cc motorcycle designed by Granville Bradshaw is up for sale on Aug 14th - evidence of Bradshaw's flare for innovative engineering.
Designed by Granville Bradshaw and produced by the Sopwith Aircraft Company, the ABC drew heavily on its designer's wartime experience in the development of air-cooled aero engines. A ground-breaking design, the ABC engine was a 398cc overhead-valve flat twin with integral four-speed gearbox. Legend has it that the power unit was designed in under three weeks, but Bradshaw did not stop there, going on to pen the duplex loop frame and sprung front and rear forks that marked out the ABC as one of the most advanced motorcycles of its day. It was fast too, J L E Emerson breaking the one-hour record twice at Brooklands, the second time at an average speed of 70.44mph, a feat that necessitated exceeding 80mph on occasions.
Attachments
ABC.jpg
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

ABC = All British Company
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

If anybody wants to know all about Granville Bradshaw, a book all about is life and his “genius” inventions can read Barry M Jones book “A Flawed Genius“ published by Panther Publishing.
He was involved in Radial engines, motorbikes, aeroplanes, Wankel engines , as well as The Little Stockbroker.