Somebody knows... Maybe you?
goddardr

Spenser Bolland Road Safety identified

Postby goddardr » Tue May 27, 2008 8:37 pm

I've had this machine for donkey's years - it came from the old Royal Arcade in Weymouth in the 70s - but I've never seen another like it. The notice says it's the property of Spencer Bolland & Co (Marefair, Northampton). Paul Braithwaite lists them (in 1971) as making Working Models (and perhaps implies a relationship with Fred?) but I can't find mention of this machine anywhere. It obviously relates to the M1 Motorway which opened in 1959, and I'd have thought that 1971 would be rather late to use this as a theme, so I think it's a mid 60s job. A one-off prototype? Or have I just not happened across the 300 others that are out there somewhere. It's a solid metal front, so not easy to burn! I've got the original box, but it's massively heavy so as I still work the machines sometimes I've got it in a lighter box.

Pleased to hear from anybody with an idea. I'll also post a couple of other queries later this evening. Oh, and yes, that's a Brenner Fun (originally Black version but repainted by the previous owner) on the left and a Circle Skill on the right.
Slot-SteererDetail.jpg
Steerer detail
Slot_Steerer.jpg
The mystery Steerer

daveslot

Re: Steer a Ball - only not the usual!

Postby daveslot » Wed May 28, 2008 11:52 am

I have had one of these so it's not unique. It's very well made, so I presume they intended to make a few of them. I think I put it in one of Steve's auctions. Don't know who made it though.

goddardr

Postby goddardr » Wed May 28, 2008 4:14 pm

Thanks for the reply!

JC

Postby JC » Wed May 28, 2008 10:09 pm

See this picture of the machine operated by Carters in their arcade. I believe Darren Hesketh has a similar machine in his arcade at the Candle Workshops, and I know of at least one other. I think they were produced by Arthur Bolland (Fred's younger brother) sometime in the sixties.
Carters%2012.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 am

It seems these Steer-a-Balls were manufactured by and for the sole use of Spenser Bolland who presumably had suitable venues to operate them. A total of 13 are said to have been made in two versions in both floor-standing and wall-mounted format. Allegedly one was stolen and another was given/sold to a friend - so how yours came to be in Weymouth is uncertain. At least one other was sold more recently (and is now at the Candle Factory - see above) but I think the remainder are still with the Bolland family.
See full-sized version of Road Safety in the Museum.
RoadSafety.jpg

rigg

Postby rigg » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:25 pm

Badpenny, I have seen reference to the 'Candle Factory' a couple of times now but cannot Google anything about it. Can you give me any more info, like website please? I have also tried finding the magazine AAM on the net but it doesn't appear in any detail. Again, any more info would be appreciated, thanks.

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:36 pm

Hi Rigg :D , Have a look in the Locations Drawer in the Penny Machines Archive for the Candle Factory address. As for the AAM, it is now out of print - try the Mechanical Memories Magazine instead at https://pennymachines.co.uk/MMM.htm
It's well worth the subscription, :tarah:

slotalot

Mystery blue machine

Postby slotalot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Topic split & merged - site admin.
IMG-20120904-00005.jpg
goddardr wrote:Richard Goddard (n.b. there are two Richard Goddards on this forum. I'm the other one.....Dick Goddard as was)
Hi "Dick" :D
What is the blue machine to the right hand side? Looks interesting -/00\-

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Spenser Bolland Road Safety identified

Postby pennymachines » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Stuart - you contributed to this topic in 2008! Are you losing your famous powers of detection? :o

Hi "Dick" :D
What is the blue and cream machine which used to be to the left hand side of your Road Safety? Looks interesting -/00\-

slotalot

Re: Spenser Bolland Road Safety identified

Postby slotalot » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:48 am

:oops: Senior moment! :-(