Isle of Wight Shanklin sale

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
andy d

Isle of Wight Shanklin sale

Post by andy d »

Anyone live near Shanklin on the Isle of Wight?

Look at the first 57 lots........you could have a field day!! !OMFG!

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... srhos10026
aristomatic

Re: What a lotta slots!!

Post by aristomatic »

I hadn't seen these until your post.

A collector from IOW sadly passed away earlier this year and I recognise a number the images as machines he had owned. We never met but he would call me regularly to chat over machines and I miss those calls.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

If this is the case, not good to hear of machines being sold under these circumstances, although becoming more common, certainly recognise a number of machines from slotty auctions and discussed on here, like the HI Top Melon Front sold at the Elephant.

Shame it is on the Island as not the easiest place to get to, just checked ferry prices - over a hundred quid return. :shock:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

And then there is the commission which is 18%, then of course VAT so 21.6% will be added to the hammer price.
Makes Coventry very reasonable.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Why do they bother with "estimated" prices which are always totally random? Is it to encourage you to take part or is it to make them look good when prices are higher? A Mad money "£350", a Bryans two player "£150".

I'd like the BDR myself. Only thing that might keep prices down a little would be the sheer number of machines. You're not going to do your cash on lot 2 if you really want lot 22. I might go down to nearby Newhaven and catch the daily steamer to Shanklin. Oh bugger, they ended that service in 1909. dirtdog
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I was thinking of bidding at this auction BUT it's a very expensive way to buy machines, 21.2% to add on, then there is shipping, they say must be removed within 3 days! or they add 3% (per day?) they will ship to any part of the isle (at a price) or will send by royal mail to the mainland :shock: Want to go collect your self? That piece of water is the most expensive (per mile) pieces of water to cross anywhere. My guess is if you bought just one machine the end price would be close to double the hammer price.

Interesting "Frogs" game table in there. I suspect the seller would have been quids in if they had shifted the whole lot to the mainland to sell.
larry_d

SOME INTERESTING MACHINES FOR SALE THIS WEEK

Post by larry_d »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Take a look a RDS SALEROOM on the Isle of Wight.There are many quite interesting slots coming under the hammer this week. It doesn't seem to say where they are from, but maybe someone on here knows. !!THUMBSX2!!
panda999

Re: Isle of Wight Shanklin sale

Post by panda999 »

Apparently a deceased estate of a chap from Freshwater in West Wight. I agree they look good but many have faults, already spoken to the auctioneers about three I was interested in, but with condition have changed my mind!
panda999

Post by panda999 »

Yes, the most expensive stretch of water anywhere! Although you can book a day return with car and up to two passengers I believe at a more reasonable price, although if you need to buy anything (which I doubt) at the right price as the usual suspects were talking about it yesterday at Elephant. If you are bidding blind I urge you to check condition with the auctioneers as you could be disappointed.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Well the Isle of Wight auction is over as far as the slot are concerned.
Prices varied from quite cheap to expensive on the hammer prices but high when you add the commission and transport. Clearly there were bidders in the room with large vans so transport negligible as far as they were concerned. I bid on only the BDR, just me and a guy in the room so I lost out as the transport cost of just one machine added up.

Here are most of the hammer prices and the lot numbers. May have got one or two wrong and missed a couple.
3,£800 4,£300 5,£400 6,£400 7,£550 8,£500 9,£220 10, £200 11,£150 12, ? 13,£130 14, £600 15,£340 (should have bought that one possibly) 16,£320 17,£240 18, £800(jennings Governor) 19,£380 20,£480 (not much interest in the room for the clubmaster so perhaps not the real item) 21,£300 22,£1500 (peep show) 23,£360
24, £600 25,£320 26,£200 27,£400 28,£280 29,£400 30,£340 31,£500 32,£550 33,£300 34,£240 35,£440 36, £200 37,£400 38,£700 (carousel allwin ) 39,£340 40,£750 (Mills war eagle) 41,£200 (aristo 4 reel) 42,? 43,£260 44,£1400 (pussy shooter) 45,£320 ("Frogs" table) 46,? 47,£150 48, ? 49,£300 (vest pocket) 50,? 51,£320 53,£190 54,£700 (allwin) 55,£240 56,? 57, £90 (would have liked this one but paying £100 to go get it!!)
Last edited by coppinpr on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I went, got stuck in traffic on the M25 and was going to miss my pre-booked ferry only to find next one with space meant I go to the auction an hour after the slots finished. Still what a strange quaint place the Isle of Wight is.......

Feels odd going back with empty van......wonder if anyone needs stuff taken across the water !PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Wish I'd known you were over there, I would have bid. :#:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Whoever said one should view were right..... some are rougher than others.... the R&W What's My Line has a completely rotten case.., the Beromat B, is half a machine, the War Eagle looks like a repro to me, castings rough and later case....etc. etc.....
The Bolands machine you were interested in (White City) needs a lot of work to the case....
Clubmaster looks OK, obviously a repaint.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Sent you a PM TF. ;-)
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I did respond a while back, but you may have missed.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

!THUMBS!
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

There is still lot 692, bargain estimate of the day.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

What a long day and never saw much of the Island either.....

All in all the machines were not great, but one or two were good. The Parkers Carousel was nice as was the other Ruffler and Walker machine. Other rogues included the Castle Front which I believe to be a repro casting and cabinet and handle, you can tell how long it is. Also the Greyhound had damage on the top rear casting and no door. Dave, the lot 692 top casting was smashed to pieces :!?!:

Anyway I did buy online two machines, not saying which of course, but as I was late had to bid blind and with the extra 3%. When I went to pay an irate woman told me in no uncertain words to go away and come back tomorrow......aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh. I cannot come back tomorrow I have paid a fortune in ferry fees, driven 240 miles and want to go home...... company policy they have to wait for the invoice from the system.... Anyway, after waiting till everything finished, I pleaded with the auctioneer, who finally saw sense and sorted it. Also managed to help take someone else's lots with me to save them the hassle....

Now I get to the ferry terminal..... guy gets out a measuring stick and looks my van up and down and then gives me a red card and tells me to go to the office.... SkEpTiCaL This does not look good.... go in and am told my van is longer than 5m and the next class up. Seems I was out by 44cm.... so I acted dumb and explained I did not realise and that I had come across without any query.... Now comes the bad news, the additional cost is £150 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can this day get worse..... I managed to produce a tear or two and he finally felt sorry for me on the basis I had passed onto his island without challenge...... !SAINT! Now I am in heaven....

Answer is, stay at home and forget coming to this island, it could be an expensive decision... !SMARTY!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

bloody hell tom what a nightmare, hope the machines were worth it in the end !THUMBS!
rol-a-top

Post by rol-a-top »

Is anybody still planning a trip to collect any machines from mainland? I live in London and managed to win one of the machines...