Isle of Wight Shanklin sale

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Isle of Wight Shanklin sale

Post by pennymachines »

Thank you TF for collecting my item. Sorry you had such a rotten time. I spent a couple of weeks on the Isle of Wight a few years ago and can assure you, under the right circumstances, it's one of the most relaxing places in the UK, with low-key little coastal towns which bring back memories of childhood British seaside holidays.

I've put the Shanklin sale results in the Arena (together with other sales from the start of the year).
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

I live within sight of the IoW and even have my own boat to get there. Forgot completely about this auction! Having read some of the feedback, though, I am quite pleased I did as the two machines I would have been interested in sound like they were duds.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well one of my purchases, I love sixties light up arcade signs....given a good clean and rewire. !!THUMBSX2!!

Anyone got ones they want to sell? Lit or not lit - always looking.
Attachments
IMG_20170619_191649244a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well another item I bought at the auction, was initially concerned as it looked terrible when I saw for the first time after bidding on the ferry was a Bryans All Sport.....

The glass was cracked, it was a nasty brown colour and when getting home found wrong keys in machine. Having some time off I spent a day scrubbing off years of nicotine stains (see the middle picture with part cleaned grunge), changed the glass for new 2 ply laminate and replaced the locks....I was going to shift it on, but am hooked and love it, it has scrubbed up really well and the original paint now shines its glowing yellow, it also plays really well. I had never played one before and it is fun. Still has spare paddle rubber and balls on the inside locations original cash box. Only downside is it is on 2p. My guess given it is the older style case it was converted at decimalisation and the only part changed is the coin entry, the rest is still 1D size..anyway I am happy and now have a trio of the two player games and they sit well together. ....not sure I want a WorlBorl though... :roll:
Attachments
IMG_20170620_205530179~2.jpg
IMG_20170620_184150013~2.jpg
IMG_20170621_185049374~2.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

One question if anyone knows on the All Sport, when resetting for new play and the balls drop down to the pickup carrier, occasionally I find two balls drop into the carrier instead of one, it seems to be how they fall and one pushed ahead of the other. Anyone experienced this and know how to reduce. I assume the balls are the original ones and will measure to make sure it is not this
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Nice buy Tom !THUMBS!
Don't suppose you took any pictures of the mech inside did you?
Busy restoring mine and the locks were missing and there doesn't seem to be a way for them to lock onto anything so wondered what they looked like, and can't see what actually releases the balls when inserting coin, there is a bar that gets pushed against the backboard but doesn't move the parts that holds the ball in far enough, I have a friend with one but it's not accessible at the moment and I'm busy trying to get mine back together.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Makes all the hassle worthwhile, doesn't it? Not Bryan's prettiest game, but great knockabout fun. I saw a couple playing one at Wookey Hole and the girl commented afterwards, "this is the best game here". Plays very differently to Worlborl (so yes, you need both). \|\/|/

Not sure if it was Bryan's intention, but I've seen some with the belt connecting the small pulley to the big pulley and some the other way around. Obviously the latter makes for faster spinning paddles and more frenetic gameplay.

Widget - locks are Lowe & Fletcher, as used on many Bryan's cash doors.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Yep PM, I have the locks but there is nothing on the machine for the lock to actually lock into !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

See lots of picture.... there should be bars on the back of machine that goes round the lock

Love that Bryans thought about the operator, spare belts, four spare balls in little compartment on rear and a stand
Attachments
IMG_20170621_195133873~2.jpg
IMG_20170621_194236110~2.jpg
IMG_20170621_194208091~2.jpg
IMG_20170621_194048609~2.jpg
IMG_20170621_194039863~2.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Perfect !THUMBS!
Need to make some bars as mine are missing,
Yours looks to be in excellent condition, well done !!THUMBSX2!!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

If anyone's interested the Castle front from the auction turned up on eBay today. Seller, due to eBay policy, is now listing at a local auction house so it should turn up again shortly. Be aware of comments raised on the above thread before bidding too.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am determined never to go back to the Isle of Wight after my last experience. !!UHOH!! And seeing the below Hi Top Bonus for sale at HRD auctions was hoping it would not be cheap, especially as it is missing its base...... I did not have to worry.... I hope the new owner is happy having paid £1350 plus £270 commission, plus the nightmare of getting the thing off the island !OMFG! I thought the two in the Elephant sale in November were high, but this partial machine has broken the boundary. :HaHa:
Attachments
5126D6BE-9BE9-4857-9D16-3C7AF532EFA3.jpeg