Essex Corn Exchange, Stock Broker & variants

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Re: Several allwins on ebay

Post by coppinpr »

Reject and payout :!?!: and what is the little vertical letter box under the angled coin entry? !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

If you look there are two pay tubes, although they look the same size. The payouts are 3 choices up to 9d with three coin slides, so the window and extra tube may be from some past feature, e.g. Jackpot.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Maybe you have to manually fill the one side.
Attachments
_20170628_215951.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I wondered if the vertical coin chute swings from one tube to the other on a central pivot when you crank the mechanism. The whole thing is very odd. These games usually have a maximum payout of six or nine coins, so a jackpot is unexpected. If it comes from the second tube, why does there appear to be a jackpot window? A separate cup just for the jackpot also seems a bit redundant. A real puzzler! :!?!:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Come on, Gameswat; sort this one out for us!

J Peterson
Out of sorts in America
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Usually there is only one 9D payout on the wheels. And glass does say Jackpot. But not sure how the double slide system would work without better photos? I have a few theories but too busy to get into that right now. Looks like quite a few old screw holes around that jackpot window. I'd guess that was just a static display.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

OK, finally had time to look at the other photos of this unusual Corn Exchange Jackpot. You can see there are two slits to the front side of the 2nd jackpot payout tube. This has to be so the exact number of coins in the Jackpot could be counted through the front glass, otherwise the Future Pay payout system used in this game would be pointless to counter the law.

The idea of these games being that there was no gambling if you knew ahead of time exactly what the game would pay. They did this by showing the winning amount in a small window but only allowing the payout to happen at the beginning of the next coin cycle.

The alloy coin chute that feeds the 1st standard payout tube only moves slightly on all the Exchanges I've had and not enough to reach the other jackpot tube without some kind of missing mechanism. But I don't think it ever did because you can see that tube #1 has an overflow channel cut into while the #2 jackpot tube does not. This implies a hand loaded jackpot.

The reason for two cups is fairly easy to answer as these are very narrow cups and even a win of 9 coins tended to fill the whole thing up, any more coins would have caused huge jams. I'm sure this was a later re-vamp to an original single cup game, so the easiest thing to do was just place another cup right next to the original. If this was an original design they'd have cast a suitable large cup to handle so many possible coins. The first cup appears to be exactly where they always sit on a standard model.

But what perplexes me is the added mechanism (sadly appears incomplete) that is attached to the inside lower mech frame just above the handle? Some kind of vertical sliding bar with multiple holes in it. I'll bet this has something to do with all those screw holes in the jackpot window, but what for? Maybe someone on the forum purchased the machine? Went very cheap I thought.

Also had a little think about how the jackpot slides could work since they are attached to the original payout slides. And you didn't want any coins being paid from the jackpot tube on a 3D or 6D win, which would have happened if this was the same as the standard slide setup. So the two lowest slides should be open below the jackpot tube, but the top slide had to be partly covered to hold all the coins until a 9D jackpot triggered, then the tube emptied. This also allowed the two slits in the jackpot tube to show all the coins that were to be won and be lawful.
Attachments
corn exchange jackpot 1.jpg
corn exchange jackpot 2.jpg
Last edited by gameswat on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey PM, not sure why this is on an allwin heading but could you stitch it onto something Corn Exchange related please?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yeah PM get your finger out.
Who do you think you are, coming up with this website & forum, paying for it like, and then dragging your heels when someone posts a photo?

:lol:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I thought that was the job for "Forum Moderators", menial boring tasks that MR PM has no care for? :!?!: dirtdog
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That'll be Mr Moderator to you. :byee:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Essex Corn Exchange & variants

Post by pennymachines »

I think Mr Mod's wary of clicking the 'delete this website' button by mistake. !!UHOH!!

I guess your carefully reasoned explanation of the Jackpot Corn Exchange is as good as we can hope for Gameswat.

I'm not sure, with the door closed, and with the tube set so far behind, you would actually see the coins inside it through the little jackpot window. !PUZZLED!

It's interesting to compare to the Stock Exchange you posted earlier with its clever free-play gizmo. In both cases, an extraordinary amount of work seems to have gone in to making a rather dull game slightly less boring! Unfortunately, I think in this instance, it also makes a quite handsome game slightly less so.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

I was the under bidder and forgot to bid at the end..... :dammit:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I remain impressed by the variants existing of the Essex Corn Exchange. I have one called "Rainbow Roulette." Too many years ago, I wrote an article on the game which was published in the now defunct AAM magazine. The basic operation of the game is the same as all Corn machines. The difference with this machine is the addition of a battery that illuminates three different lights at the top left of the door. The names on the wheel have been painted over with the winning colors. If the wheel stops on a specific color, the same color light illuminates and you are paid out the amount specified on your next play. This is an advance pay machine, remember.

It may be a bit corny but it's definitely unique.

J Peterson
Uniquely yours in the USA

Corn01.JPG

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Bryans Fan just drew my attention to another of these weird double-barrelled Corn Exchanges (sold on eBay a few days ago). This time only one payout cup, but two coin tubes and again the little jackpot window (unfortunately missing its frame). This example supports Gameswat's theory - the jackpot is hand filled and somehow you're supposed to see how many coins it holds by peering into the dark interior at the cut out slits in the tube.
Attachments
cornx.jpg
cornx5.jpg
cornx4.jpg
cornx3.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I was surprised at the price, given the condition. Would have put that value at a complete finished item, but I guess indicative of the lack of machines or auctions at the moment...
treefrog

Monopoly

Post by treefrog »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Never seen one of these before, the Monopoly future pay machine. Think MR Pm has two YouTube channels. Nice shape, reminds me of a Bryans Rockets (cabinet) and could not find make in books. !PUZZLED!

moonriver

Re: Monopoly

Post by moonriver »

So hard to operate this type of machine with the old penny arcade punters. No matter how much you explain how future pay works, they just don't get it.
Then there is the matter of spin time, not so much with this Monopoly , as it spins quite a long time compared with the usual halfhearted effort when the disc turns, they also always complain isn't spinning properly.
The issue I would imagine with the Monopoly is that they would give up turning the knob half way through also thinking it wasn't working, and then abandon it and leave it to be jammed up with the next coins going in
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Monopoly

Post by badpenny »

Similarities to Lot 8 in the Nantwich Auction coming up next week.

BP
Attachments
PW-8.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, the mechanism is essentially the same as the more famous Stock Exchange and Corn Exchange. The only other example I've seen was just a front at the Star Warehouse, Camden. I asked Jimmy Broderick's surly assistant if he knew who made it: "If you don't know, you shouldn't be here."

Another machine of this ilk is the Little Stock Exchange.
Attachments
Gamblers1n2.jpg
234.jpg