Vintage Slots in Films and Newsreels

Videos of vintage slot machines in action.
slotalot

Re: Vintage Slots in Films and Newsreels

Post by slotalot »

Coin-op wrote:I seem to recall that a few episodes of Steptoe & Son had allwins in them. They were often to be seen on the staircase landing as Harold or his dad came in the front door....so keep looking! :D
Hi Coin-opp :D , It looks like you have a good memory, I have been to the Steptoe's again and found this :!: , the photo shows Albert in the hall with an allwin standing upside-down on the half-landing just as you said :claps:. anyone know what type it is??? :tarah:
Attachments
step2.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The so called comedy programme "Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps" (never had the stomach to watch a complete episode) the pub scene always has a German electro mech wall machine by the bar.

The Money Programme a few years back in the opening sequence showed a city street with bandits as buildings, I remember a Mills Hi-Top and a Jennings Governor, I wonder who they borrowed them from?
Equally there was a trailer for East Enders (I believe) about 8 years back where somebody runs through the street market and as they pass a stall of junk there is a Sega laying skew wiff and they pull the handle as they pass and it stops on 3 bells. Anyone remember any of that or is my mind more addled than I feared? In fact on that subject I'm starting a new thread about machines made to payout for films etc.

Badpenny
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

:*** And More :***

This time from the 1970s sitcom "On The Busses".
This was shot in the Luxton & District Traction Co canteen, and shows the happless Inspector Blake (Stephen Lewis) standing next to a very nice Sega Bandit and stand :cool:

I have also found a shot from the NOT very PC :oops: sitcom "Love Thy Neighbour" in which we see the main cast of Jacko (Keith Marsh), Bill Reynolds (Rudolph Walker), Eddie Booth (Jack Smethurst) and Arthur (Tommy Godfrey) at a Union meeting in the social club, spot the bandit next to the bar, I am not sure if its a Sega or a Mills but I know a man that will :arrow: Over to you Badpenny.... :tarah:
Attachments
bus2.jpg
love2.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Slotalot, where do you find the time to watch all these films, on the off-chance that you might catch a glimpse of a slot machine?

I think the allwin in the Steptoe clip is a Whales Treble Chance. Here's the allwin the right way up.
Attachments
step2.jpg
step2.jpg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 6996 times
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

slotalot wrote: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:55 amI have been to the Steptoe's again and found this
Well done slotalot. Now i seem to recall that the St Trinian films had some machines in them. In one film a parent (was it Frankie Howerd?) placed slot machines all around the school; a van pulled up and when they opened the door it was piled high with bandits. In either the same or another film there is a chase scene up and down a railway track and there are Cast iron double Nestle chocolate machines on the platform. There is also a pic of an arcade with a Wurlitzer 500 at the front featured in a Diana Dors film (was it called 'a kid for two farthings'). :)
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Coin-op :D St Trinian :?: yes I think you may be right, I have not seen that one for a long long time. :cry: ..............
:idea: and dont forget that all requests must be written on the back of a five pound note :wink:
I will keep digging and see what turns up :tarah:
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Haven't got any pictures, but I seem to remember that there was a Jubilee bandit in the bar on Fawlty Towers.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

JC wrote:Slotalot, where do you find the time to watch all these films, on the off-chance that you might catch a glimpse of a slot machine?

I think the allwin in the Steptoe clip is a Whales Treble Chance. Here's the allwin the right way up.
Hi JC :D , Thanks for that,when I look at it that way up I can see what you mean !!THUMBSX2!! and as for finding time to look, well its all down to a good memory for sad facts :-( and the :arrow: :arrow: FAST FORWARD :arrow: :arrow: button.
:*** I am even doing requests now :*** ......... :tarah:
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

slotalot wrote: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:05 pm This is a nice screen shot from the 1937 Laurel & Hardy film Way Out West,
Can anyone tell me the names of the four Vintage Machines in this photo
Some serous antiques in that still, though I can only see three of 'em.

Left is a double Mills Dewy similar to the picture below, $100,000 today for you, guv, cheap at 'alf the price. There were several manufacturers, Caille was another. They show up quite often in old photos from Wild West saloons. Center is a cigar store poker trade stimulator, possibly a Charles Fey, from around 1890, value unknown but likely to be six figures again. I've seen a picture before of the machine on the right, but at the moment I can't remember what it is, though I'm pretty sure it dates back to about 1910. I'll look it up tonight.
mills-dewey.jpg

<edit> The center machine is a Reliance. I can't identify the one on the right.
Attachments
reliance.jpg
Last edited by operator bell on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

slotalot wrote:
I have also found a shot from the NOT very PC :oops: sitcom "Love Thy Neighbour" in which we see the main cast of Jacko (Keith Marsh), Bill Reynolds (Rudolph Walker), Eddie Booth (Jack Smethurst) and Arthur (Tommy Godfrey) at a Union meeting in the social club, spot the bandit next to the bar, I am not sure if its a Sega or a Mills but I know a man that will :arrow: Over to you Badpenny.... :tarah:
The round badge above the escalator could carry either Mills' Owl or the SEGA star but I'd guess a Sega, due to the formica sides, I've not seen a Mills Hi Top with placcy sides (awaits to be educated by incoming) also the belly castings look chromed, it could of course be one of those German copies I've seen a couple of. Covers all angles, nods in a fake sage like manner and slowly ambles off for second cup of coffee in 10 minutes ............ 8)
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

badpenny wrote: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:00 amThe round badge above the escalator could carry either Mills' Owl or the SEGA star but I'd guess a Sega, due to the formica sides, I've not seen a Mills Hi Top with placcy sides (awaits to be educated by incoming)
The coin hole is on the wrong side for a Mills Hi-Top but apart from that, it bloody well looks like one. Of course, that doesn't mean it's not a Sega. Hard to tell in that picture, but it looks to me like the reel glass is missing, so I wonder if it's just a prop machine and maybe someone thought it would be a good idea to tart up the scratchy old case with a bit of formica?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well spotted Op B. What do you think about the beer? Cold tea, I'd bet! :-(
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

:*** HI-DE-HI :***
Hello campers :!: I would just like to say a big thank you for all the feedback on the film & TV related photos that I have been posting of late !!THUMBSX2!! ,...... and it not over yet :NBG: I was looking at some old HI-DE-HI DVDs and came accross this clip that I had never spotted before, It is from an episode called "If Wet-In The Ballroom" and has the Yellow Coats showing the childeren in to the ballroom, and in the background is a row of 5 allwins, sorry about the quality, it was the best shot I could get :oops: . Dare I ask?.....Can anyone name them? :!?!:

HO-DE-HO........ :tarah:
Attachments
hdh1.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

:cool: Jukebox Jive! :cool:

A couple of photos of what must now be very collectable Jukeboxes :D ,
The first was found in an episode of "Sykes" from 1972 and shows Hattie Jacques & Eric Sykes sat in a cafe.

The next photo is once again from HI-DE-HI :!: and was taken in the Laughing Cow Milk Bar at Maplins holiday camp, also in this shot are Ruth Madoc (Gladys Pugh) & David Griffin (Clive Dempster).

Once again I dont know the makes or models :oops:
:tarah:
Attachments
sykes1.jpg
hdh5.jpg
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Mr Console wrote:A 1950s German Roulamint in a present-day British sitcom?
And why is it behind the bar?
Two Pints of Lager.
Looks like the barmaid has been stealing the peanuts too....
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Special When Lit wrote:Haven't got any pictures, but I seem to remember that there was a Jubilee bandit in the bar on Fawlty Towers.
Looks like you were right :D
Here is the unforgettable Basil Fawlty (John Cleese) in the bar with said bandit. :tarah:
Attachments
ft1.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Actually, I think it's an Aristocrat Kingsway?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Thanks for that JC :D ,...... I must get some points for getting John Cleese right. :wink:
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

badpenny wrote: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:51 am Well spotted Op B. What do you think about the beer? Cold tea, I'd bet! :-(
Au contraire, from careful examination of the head and color, it appears to be Watney's Red Barrel, a popular non-alcoholic beer substitute from the period, at room temperature and a little flat.