Mills wing nut gone missing

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
alan57

Mills wing nut gone missing

Post by alan57 »

Whilst degreasing and cleaning up my current renovation, a Mills Hi Top, when cleaning it with a wire wheel brush, the wing nut unscrewed itself and escaped for freedom.
I've hunted high and low, and can't find the bloody thing now :!?!:
Sods law it will be an American thread, so the English wing nut will just strip the thread.
Does anyone have a spare one they can sell me? |/XX\|
Attachments
wing nut.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Mills wing nut gone missing

Post by coppinpr »

dont have a spare,but worth trying a modern nut,might fit and you can always re tap the thread so it does.

Now if you had a rare earth magnet (every workshop should have one, will cost you about £10 for a good one or salvage one from an old micro wave) fixed to a handle and moved around like a metal detector over the whole area it will find every pin,screw, nut, bolt bolt and metal filing you ever lost within a foot of it. Just dont get your finger between it and a large metal plate :shock:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N52-Block-Sup ... SwImRYKZtr
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

coppinpr wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:00 pm
Now if you had a rare earth magnet (every workshop should have one, will cost you about £10 for a good one or salvage one from an old micro wave) fixed to a handle and moved around like a metal detector over the whole area it will find every pin,screw, nut, bolt bolt and metal filing you ever lost within a foot of it. Just dont get your finger between it and a large metal plate :shock:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N52-Block-Sup ... SwImRYKZtr
It would also be wise to not let a neodymium magnet near your smartphone, computer, electronic car keys, pacemaker, etc.. :frankie:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

actually its not that bad, the safe working distances for very strong real earth magnets are aprox double that of a standard magnet or less( a pacemaker would be 201mm against 182mm on a standard magnet. phones store data on non magnetic media which are not effected by magnets,its just about possible to damage a speaker on a phone with a magnet.
Car keys and memory sticks are not at risk at all. Microwaves use real earth magnets yet carry no warning about safe working distances. more info at the site below and even these are set with a high safety margin just to be sure.Ive had a real earth magnet on my desk for years,3inches from a memory stick that is in use and 12 inches from my desktop PC and never had a hint of a problem but all ways wise to be aware

https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/faq/Wha ... my-devices
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

I think I have arrived too late to give you any info but if you are still minus the wing nut, I can tell you that I bought wing nuts and the related bolts from a hardware store. I needed mine for the reel brakes. I changed both parts just in case the wing nut was metric and the bolts were imperial size. I have a Sega and that part of the mechanism is different from yours which is rather odd because the vast majority of Sega parts are identical to Mills.