Vintage Slots in Films and Newsreels

Videos of vintage slot machines in action.
arrgee

Re: Vintage Slots in Films and Newsreels

Post by arrgee »

There was only one thing worse than Watney's red Barrel and that was Watney's Starlite !!! Ugh.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

operator bell wrote: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:30 pm Au contraire, from careful examination of the head and color, it appears to be Watney's Red Barrel, a popular non-alcoholic beer substitute from the period, at room temperature and a little flat.
Op B, you know too much, there will come a time when knowledge like this will work against you.

Who remembers......... I want me special Ethel?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Not to be out done :!: here is a photo from the TV sitcom "Not On Your Nelly" starring Hylda Baker behind the bar of her pub the Brown Cow, the Red Barrel pump on the bar was only there for the first episode as miss Baker insisted it be removed for episode two as it was bigger than her :shock: (quite true!)

Here is the slotmachine link :D .......

The second photo is from the film "Nearest & Dearest" also staring Hylda Baker and shows the late Norman Mitchell (Vernon Smallpiece) standing next to two bandits on a day out at :cool: Blackpool.
:tarah:
Attachments
not3.jpg
near1.jpg
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Funny-looking Ballys, substantially modified by someone. They've got places for hold lights on the glass, but no hold buttons - there's a plate screwed across the front where the buttons would be, and just one button. The top boxes were added - you can see the join on the machine on the right - for some sort of secondary skill game, five balloon-looking things and an arc of 11 white spots underneath. The single button might be to control that game. I wish it was a clearer shot of the glass, that would tell us. The first reel on the left machine isn't indexed properly, it's stuck between symbols, so they probably aren't working games. The door hinges are early style so these were probably 1967-1968 with model numbers in the 800's. There used to be an awful lot of those about.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Well done Op-B :D . I bow to your superior knowledge of the Bandit :didact: and also your very good eyesight. :claps:
Maybe I should have gone to Spec-Savers :!: (Thats a little bit of English Humour) More to follow :tarah:
Last edited by slotalot on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Dad's Army in the pier-end arcade - glimpses of one or two unusual machines.

Frazer tries to get chocolate out of the crane: 18.45
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Coin-op wrote:Well done slotalot. Now I seem to recall that the St Trinian films had some machines in them. In one film a parent (was it Frankie Howerd?) placed slot machines all around the school; a van pulled up and when they opened the door it was piled high with bandits.
Hi Coin-op :D I have managed to find a copy of the 1966 film "The Great St.Trinian's Train Robbery" and as you say there were quite a lot of vintage machines used in this film, here are but a few :arrow:......It looks as if the chocolate machine has been used twice after a bit a of makeover :?: Please enjoy :tarah:......
PS.....I like the "Dads Army" video that was posted by Penny Machines :tarah:
Attachments
st8.jpg
st5.jpg
st4.jpg
st3.jpg
st2.jpg
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

slotalot wrote: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:51 pm...knowledge of the Bandit and also your very good eyesight
Well as to the first, I funded my youthful dissipation by working nights and weekends as the machine fixer at Billy Manning's seaside arcades, so I know my way around relics of the 1960s. As to the eyesight, I've got one of those gadgets you see in Hollywood spy movies where the hero says "can you zoom in on that a bit", and the nerdy guy clicks a box on the screen that expands again and again until you can count the blackheads on the terrorist's nose 8) (ok, "Photoshop").

St Trinians: Is she really lifting that Jennings up to chin-level so easily? I'm a big guy, and I'd find that a bit of an effort. I remember the "Purple Heart" machine, that was a good joke for the time.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Slotalot has sent me a great bit of newsreel. I think it shows our first Coventry Auction a couple of years back, I seem to remember the blokes with the Pump Action and the Tommy Gun.
What the hell is the first machine that's off loaded ..... and where can I get one?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi :D , I have just found this on youtube :shock: I think it's an Australian slot machine restoration video :!: (joke !!THUMBSX2!! ) anyway I hope you like it, more to follow :tarah:

Last edited by slotalot on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

And another one :D ...

slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Have you ever wondered how a jukebox is made :?: Then have a look at this !!THUMBSX2!! and enjoy :tarah:

operator bell

Post by operator bell »

What the hell is the first machine that's off loaded ..... and where can I get one?
I take it you mean the big one, second off the truck? The first one is a common or garden bandit, Poinsettia or similar by the look of it.

twinjack.jpg

It's an Ace/Pace Twin Jack, mid-1950s. I have no idea where you can get one, though they were made in some quantity for the Nevada market so I imagine there are a dozen or so in private hands.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That's the bugger!............ :arrowmunch:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Loved those British Pathe newreels, slotalot - wonder if you can get them on DVD.
I didn't know BAC (British Automatic Company Ltd.) made a Speak Your Weight machine. They must have been the major player in British automatic vending judging by their range of products.

The Speak Your Weight Scales get the better of George Formby

slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Let Them Eat Cake :!:
I could not resist this episode of the Wombles :D ...Please enjoy.. :tarah:

slotalot

Post by slotalot »

And by way of a change :idea: ....
Instead of Vintage Slots in Films :arrow: :arrow: Films in a Vintage Slot :!: ..
This is a type of Mutoscope that uses film instead of still photos,I dont know if it ever caught on?.... :tarah:
Attachments
movie_slot.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Dave.....Dusty & the Weight Scales :cool:

slotalot

Post by slotalot »

EVERY Slot machine old and new has to have one :!: And this is how they are made :shock:

Did you notice the lack of Health & Safety equipment in this Government run department? :tut They must have been short of money at the time.... :tarah:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Did you notice the lack of Health & Safety equipment in this Goverment run department ....

That's as maybe Slotalot, however they did get the job done and allowed common sense to prove Darwin right. :D