Jamieson Automatics Starlet Information manual V1.1

Graphics, flyers, instructions and other materials.
dickywink

Jamieson Automatics Starlet Information manual V1.1

Post by dickywink »

Hi all
I purchased earlier this year a Jamieson Starlet Wall Machine ... could not find much information on the forum on it so decided to create my own information manual and wiring diagram ... the machine is very similar to other Jamieson machines of that era ... so hopefully it will come in handy for other machines out there ( the manual has been updated 25-9-17 V1.1 )

all the best

Dicky Wink

Jamiesons Starlet information Manual V1.1.pdf

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dickywink on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Jamieson Automatics Starlet Information manual V1

Post by pennymachines »

Excellent contribution Richard. I'm sure this will be invaluable next time somebody tries to fix one of these. **xXx**
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well done chap, there are many people, some possibly not even born yet, who will love and adore you in years to come.
A truly valuable contribution to the hobby.

BP !!THUMBSX2!!
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Thanks guys...
I have been a longtime reader and dabbler in machines for many years and have enjoyed and benefited from the wealth of knowledge that you guys on the forum here have given me ... so it is nice to give something back, these are great machines and very much a part of my childhood, but the resources are few and far between. I originally looked at the machine and thought ... wow this looks really complicated ... but after working it all out, they are quite a simple and a very well thought out design .... It's amazing that an electrical machine that is the same age as me can still be restored so easily ... All the ex GPO relays are still available on ebay for a fiver or less ...

saying that I have done the manual but I am yet to find time to restore the machine ... well.. the parts are on order and hopefully will get it done in the next couple of months, so will keep you guys updated with the progress.

all the best,

Dicky Wink
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

My goodness that is seriously professional, I need to get my physics book out on the Billy Punter part, but wow wow...

Thinks you may get lots of requests from owners of other electro mech machines :lol:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

A seriously important contribution. I hope you're going to be available to answer questions on other machines - this is an area where the forum has only a very few experts. CoNgRaTs
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Wowee! Fantastic talent Richard. The only measly additional information I can add is that, assuming randomness, it has a payout of an equally measly 58.38%, not unusually meagre for an electro mechanical machine of the era.
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Hi 13Rebel
Thanks for the info ... I will add that to the manual for the next update ... can you tell me how you got to that figure as Math is not my strong point.
but I would be very interested please ...

Also I need to update at some point as have already seen a few typos that need correcting and they are bugging me .... :shock:

Yes, 58% RTP is a bit poor ... but it's on par, if not better, than most modern Quiz games SWPs in pubs today. :D
I'm guessing it's along the lines of most wall machines or Allwin type machines ... I think the clue is that the payout tube is very short and stores very few coins, indicating that it does not need to payout a large succession of wins.

If anyone has anything else they would like me to add to the manual, please let me know and I will do so ready for the next update.

Thanks for the comments guys,

all the best ... Dicky
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Hi Dicky, using your figures of 37 payout positions of 2 x 8d, 13 x 2d, 1 x 12d, 15 x 2d, 6 x 4d, a total of 108d, assume that Billy Punter puts one coin in each of the 5 slots each play. Over the course of 37 plays he will put in 37 x 5d = 185d and be returned 108d. Divide the 108 by 185 and multiply by 100 to give 58.38% to two decimal places. As I say, this is assuming it is set up to be random which you would think it would be. Of course in normal play it doesn't mean that every time you play you will get that return, but over the course of XYZ plays it will eventually be that amount. Hope this makes sense,
Tony.
larry_d

Post by larry_d »

Hi that's a much needed great piece of work. My Autofruit needs a transformer which I am having trouble in finding by the way. My question is, am I right then in thinking that the output from the transformer is 12 volts?
Thanks again. !PUZZLED!
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Thanks Tony,
That's wonderful. Now I get it... Is it OK to use that calculation info in the Manual please ... ?

All the best,

Dicky
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Hi Dicky,
Glad to be of help and thank you for your kind response. I shall be honoured to have my findings included in your manual.
Regards, Tony.
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Hi Larry,

Based on the ratings on the Lamps (which are 12v 2.2W) the transformer / rectifier output should be rated for these... Too high a voltage will blow the bulbs very quickly ... On the subject of the lamps, I bought a pack of 10 on ebay for £5.35 inc. delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-12v-E10- ... 1565772319

The transformer voltage will vary depending on load ... The more relays that are pulled in and the more lamps that are lit will reduce the output voltage slightly. That's because these machines do not have voltage regulators or smoothing capacitors and just use the raw DC.
See the drawing below:

transformer.jpg

The size (wattage / VA) of the transformers should be based on the load. For an Autofruit / Starlet a 230v AC to 12v AC 100VA should suffice, but as previously stated, the loading on these machines can vary as they used mix and match parts.

Hope this helps,

Dicky
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

The Manual has now been updated to V1.1 with some extra info

all the best

Dicky
special when lit

Re: Jamieson Automatics Starlet Information manual V1.1

Post by special when lit »

This will be very handy in getting my Autofruit working.
Thanks a lot.
larry_d

Post by larry_d »

Well thanks very much Dicky, that's very kind of you. As I said, I urgently require a transformer for one of these machines I am working on and, seeing as I have had no luck at all in finding one, I will wander into Maplins next time I'm in town to see if I can match one up to your figures (unless someone here has one I can buy of course lol).
Thank you my friend.
Regards,
Larry
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Hi Larry
Maplins sell one that should be suitable based on what I have in my machine but only available online or to order in the shop:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/vigortronix- ... -412-a20qk

The input and output would need to be wired as shown below.

All the best .... dicky
larry_d

Post by larry_d »

You really are a credit to this site, I honestly appreciate all your help. Thanks yet again Dicky, I'll push on with it now.
Cheers to you !!CHEERS!!
Kind regards,
Larry.
runner

Post by runner »

Thanks to you I now know which type of bulbs to use in my jamiesons skill poker machine, I had purchased the 5w version as there were no bulbs present in the machine and no information. Thankyou.