Sega Windsor Playboy machine

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
trops79

Sega Windsor Playboy machine

Post by trops79 »

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this forum and just picked up a Sega Windsor machine that doesn’t work. Got it for almost nothing so just gonna tinker with it. I have a very simple and basic first question; how do you remove the mechanism from the cabinet?? I loosened and pushed down the red wing nut and moved the two levers on the bottom. It won’t move. Is there something else? Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike
radiochrissie

Re: Sega Windsor Playboy machine

Post by radiochrissie »

Hi mike, sounds like it has not been pulled out for some time :roll:
You say that you have undone the upper wing nut and the 2 bottom clamps , that is all that is holding it in, it may be stuck in with old grease. It should come out if you give it a tug. There is a handle inside at the back to pull it out with, you need to reach in and pull it.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Welcome to the site...
only other thing that might be holding it in is if its half way through a cycle and parts of the mech are jammed against the handle parts.

We will fix any machine on this site ,we only have one request "Show us photos, inside and out" helps us do the fix AND........ we love photos :lol:
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Thanks for the help...it was stuck with old grease. Gave the base a tap with a hammer a got it out.
Btw- I’m very familiar with Mills machines so the mechanism is very understandable to me BUT the electric system is totally foreign. I cycled it and it worked perfectly and paid out correctly.
Attachments
7D3DC8F4-D302-4F5A-86C2-BED8B4051FBFa.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi ......

This week I replied to a similar question, I imagine it also applies to yours?
As for the switches etc. You have an electric coin acceptor. The two switches power the solenoid on the other side which enables the handle to engage and then disengage it after the play until the next coin enters.

This was the thread ..... Problems on two Sega Windsor machines

:cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Guessing this has a special feature switched on by the vertical finger nearest the front, can we see the front of the machine both the case and the mech so we can understand what the electric part is supposed do be doing !THUMBS!
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Yes, I see the switches and get the general idea of how they work but when I plug the machine in all I get is a humming sound. No lights or anything else. Where should I start?
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Hi, can you post pictures of the back of the mech and the front of the mech. Particularly the small circuit board mounted at the back of the coin mech, which looks like someone’s had a go at. !OMFG!
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Here are some pics...
Attachments
FA79522D-3F28-4044-BF5A-13BE8CCCAA21a.jpg
73A920A2-389C-45C0-BCA9-AC8A313C981Ba.jpg
9ECFC982-FC99-4488-8BBE-B328110BDDFEa.jpg
41F186A6-DA67-400A-8477-7DD028CCAA64a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

OK, so there doesn't seem to be a special feature run by the electrics (although we haven't seen the front glass as yet to be sure). You say the machine runs and pays out. Are you saying you can put a coin in and the machine will play, or do you have to cycle the mech by hand outside the case?

As it seems from what we can see this is what happens: when you put a coin in it trips a switch which turns on the solenoid low down on the handle side. This allows you to play the machine; the solenoid stays on until the circuit is broken during the cycle which trips another switch (most likely on the other side of the machine as I can see some wiring there).

The hum you can hear is either the solenoid or the choke for the lights and both would be usual (I wont say normal, but usual after years of use).
The first thing to check if the solenoid is not firing is that power is getting to the coin mech. If so, move on to the switch the coin trips. Operate it by hand (using a screwdriver rather than your hand. :lol: ) See if the solenoid fires. Also check the switch that switches the solenoid off. This could be permanently in the off position, so the circuit never completes. You can check both these by bypassing them. It could be the solenoid itself. This can easily be checked with a multimeter to see if there is a break in the coil. Remember, electricity bites - even if there is a transformer in the machine you can't be sure the voltage is low in every area.

I think you said the lights are not working. Unless there is a break in the power line going to the choke, this would have to be the wiring, tubes, starters or choke of course. I always replace the starters first, then the tubes. These tubes are available on Ebay very cheap, often in packs of 10.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Ok, Mr coppinpr is correct. :cool:
The first thing you must check is the main solenoid closes when you trip the coin switch. Someone at sometime has rewired your machine and for some reason has modified the dropper resistor to the aforementioned coil. I think I know why, but won’t muddy the water by going into detail until you have checked its operation.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Thank you for the ongoing help - you guys are great.
Yes, I manually cycled the mechanism outside the case and everything worked fine. Now I’ll try to follow your electrical advise but I’m “lacking” in that area.
I believe the only way to test it is by placing it back in the case? as the two electrical connectors are fixed to the mechanism and the other to the back of the case.
I’ll give it another try and get back.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

OK, maybe the found problem? The power cord was spliced and falling apart so I cut it and I’m ready to re-splice it and ran into a problem; the cord has a red, black and green colored cord and my extension cord is black, white and green. Photo attached. What gets connected to what? Btw - I’m in the US.
Attachments
3EC21EEA-D9B8-457B-97C8-40C6CAA127B5a.jpg
2BBA3656-7CBE-4F86-B869-DBAB1CE1112Ba.jpg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Green is always earth, so connect them together.
The red on the Sega is the live. Connect this to the black on the USA lead.
The black on the Sega lead is neutral. Connect this to white on the USA lead (white is neutral).

The best way to do this is to remove the old mains lead completely, and resolder the new mains lead onto the transformer. If you have to splice the lead, then pull the lead inside the case first and splice it inside the cabinet.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

OK, so here’s where I’m at; temporarily re-spliced the cord and plugged it in. Still hear humming noise with no lights. The coin mechanism is receiving power because the pin is retracting like I think it’s supposed to. When I manually trip the coin switch it makes a noise but does not do anything else. Where to go next??
Btw here’s a photo of the door.

55CDDA99-1A13-43E8-956C-0E3E8DB1539Aa.jpg

Also, forgot to mention, when I trip the reset switch on the bottom left of the mechanism the humming noise stops completely and the pin in the coin mech pops out not allowing a coin to pass through.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

So let me get this right, you trip the coin switch but the handle is still not engaged? Just confirm this and we can move forward. If this is so, then you may need to adjust the end stop on the solenoid. One other thing, do you have a test meter?
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Yes, when I trip the coin switch it makes a noise but does not activate the solenoid and the handle does not engage. Yes, I have a meter but not good at using it.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

The next step is to check the solenoid resistance and the voltage across it. With the mech pulled out, check the resistance across the solenoid. It should measure about 12 ohms. If this is OK, let me know, and we can move on to the next step.
trops79

Post by trops79 »

Ohms approx 6. See photo. Bolts when plugged in was 0.264.
Attachments
60A79971-9AFB-4A8C-B632-575A7B70E7A5a.jpg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

The resistance is low but OK. You now need to check the voltage across it when you trip the coin lever. You need to attach your meter, set to AC volts across the coil terminals. This has to be done when the mech is back in, which can be difficult. It helps if you have small clip-on test leads. You should see about 12 volts across the coil when the coin lever is tripped.

Make sure the meter is set to AC volts not DC volts.