Bradfort Zodiac love tester

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
JC

Bradfort Zodiac love tester

Post by JC »

I am currently restoring a Bradfort Zodiac fortune teller. The paper on which the six answers are printed is missing, so can anyone tell me what they are please (reading from left to right).

Thanks

Jerry
grabber

Re: Bradfort Zodiac

Post by grabber »

Hello Jerry,
I have all sorts of paperwork. Do you have a picture of your machine, as I might be able to help?
Mike.
JC

Post by JC »

Thanks Mike, but no pictures - the machine's in bits! I just need to know the six answers.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Could they be...........
1) 42
2) Of course I love you
3) The cheque's in the post
4) No you don't look fat in that dress
5) Whatever you decide dear
6) If you don't know what's wrong; then there is no point in me telling you!

:D
JC

Post by JC »

Badpenny, you forgot one:

"I promise not to wipe it on yer nightie"

:oops: I bet this post gets deleted!

Seriously though, I really would like to know the real answers. If it helps, if anyone has a Bradfort Oracle, I think the answers are probably the same as the Zodiac (they're more or less the same machine).
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

YES, PROBABLY, ASK LATER, UNLIKELY, DOUBTFUL, NO

Hi Jerry - I found this image on my hard drive. Funny thing is, I believe I took it at your Brighton seafront arcade.
Are you sure these were made by Bradfort? The name Barwick Autos comes to mind.
Click the image in the Museum for a close-up: Zodiac Love Test
Attachments
Fortune_Tellers1n5.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Thanks for coming to the rescue Pennymachines, that's great.

Yes you're right, you did take the picture at Brighton, but not in my arcade. It was in John Hayward's 'number 2' arcade further down the seafront, which has been closed for quite a few years now. John sold the machine 2 or 3 years ago. It's a rare version of the Zodiac, as it has a hinged door in a conventional style case. The more common Bradfort machines have an art deco style case, which although very attractive are a stupid design as there is no access from the front, so the machine has to be unscrewed from the wall to change the battery.

Bradfort made four fortune telling machines that I know of:
Gypsy, Zodiac, Oracle and Love Test - none of which are particularly rare. Gypsy is a conventional spinning pointer type machine, whereas the others are of the 'light bulb' variety. I was talking to someone earlier today, and he said he has a different version of Zodiac which is a mechanical version. On his, a shutter opens to reveal the answer, about sixteen of which are printed on a disc which revolves one notch every time the machine is played.

You mentioned Barwick - I've got a vague recollection that they produced the Anserwrite (another machine that I once owned).

Anyway, thanks again for the info. :D
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

JC wrote:Thanks for coming to the rescue Pennymachines, that's great.
No problem.
JC wrote:On his, a shutter opens to reveal the answer, about sixteen of which are printed on a disc which revolves one notch every time the machine is played.
Yes, I once had that version. It had either a revolving drum or disc (not sure which) with the answers and was in the slightly Art-Deco style rear-opening case.
JC wrote:You mentioned Barwick - I've got a vague recollection that they produced the Anserwrite
That must be what I was thinking of. Do you have any other information about Bradfort - such as their full trading name or address?
JC

Post by JC »

pennymachines wrote:Yes, I once had that version. It had either a revolving drum or disc (not sure which) with the answers and was in the slightly Art-Deco style rear-opening case.
Come to think of it, I think the person I was talking to said it was a drum (I didn't mention his name, but he's well known to us both).
pennymachines wrote:Do you have any other information about Bradfort - such as their full trading name or address?
No, I'm afraid I don't. I had tried for many years to find more information on Bradfort, but they seem to be another coin-op manufacturer that have disappeared into obscurity. They must have been a fairly large maker, as their machines have survived in fairly large numbers. I only know the name because it's engraved onto the front plate of the coin mech. common to all of their machines.
Attachments
Bradfort Coin mech. plate.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Just in case anyone is wondering what the hell we're talking about, here are Oracle and Love Test (both pictures taken from the '85 Arcadia catalogue).
Attachments
Oracle.jpg
Love Test.jpg
john t peterson

Love Testers

Post by john t peterson »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

In preparation for a new decade, which I pre-emptively declare to be "THE DECADE OF LOVE," I'm inviting one and all to submit pictures of love testers. Below is a set of twins from Oliver Whales of Redcar, circa 1942. On the left is "Cupid's Arrow" and the right is "Love Meter Personalty." Clearly, both games were variations on the same theme: LOVE.

So, what do you have? Show me the LOVE.

John Peterson
Your Romantic American Correspondent
Attachments
Tellers-TwinWhales.JPG
slotalot

Re: LOVE TESTERS

Post by slotalot »

Hi :D , I had the "pleasure" of restoring an Oliver Whales Personality Love Meter a few years ago. It was found by me in a garden shed. It was just a door and in a very poor state. Someone had ruined the metal covering on the door by cleaning it with an angle grinder :mad: so I made a new case and gave it a rewire and ended up with a nice looking machine. I don't have it now but I wish I had never sold it :!?!:

The love test machine I have in my collection at the moment is one of my own creation. I designed and built it on the lines of a vintage machine and to me it's better than the O.W. Love Meter because I made it myself :claps: but then I have always got more "pleasure" (it's that word again) from working on vintage machines than owning them. :tarah:
Attachments
O.W. Love Meter
O.W. Love Meter
O.W. Love Meter "mech"
O.W. Love Meter "mech"
My Love Tester
My Love Tester
My Love Tester "mech"
My Love Tester "mech"
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

I think these are both Myers machines.
Attachments
Tel-e-test.JPG
Love Test.JPG
JC

Post by JC »

Nice Love Tester, Stuart - looks very professional. Just wondered what the machine is next to it?

Jerry
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Jerry :D , Merry Christmas.
Thanks for your comments on my Love Tester - I am very pleased with the way it has turned out. I don't need to tell you about the amount of work required to design and build a full size machine that works :didact: ... but it helps to keep me Sane. :mad: I know this because I was talking to myself about it the other day. :oops:

The other machine in the photo is called "Snap-It". The lights behind the card symbols flash at random all the time and when you put a penny in the machine stops. If it stops on a pair, it pays out that amount. It's all 240v and you have to take care when the door is open and the machine is running as it's all live :zapa: with lots of bits to touch. When I got it, it had not worked for a long time and was in quite a state but it made a good project for my idle hands.... lol! I have never seen another.... anybody got one?
Regards Stuart.
Attachments
snap-it.jpg
john t peterson

Stuart,

I think the original name of this game was "Zap It," before the company attorneys made them change it after three punters were electrocuted. Too much truth in advertising is sometimes bad for business.

john peterson :!:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi John,
You could be right... but the punters will get more of a shock if it ever pays out on the 9d... :D as it don't happen that often... :tarah:
jingle

Post by jingle »

THE NEW LOVE TEST

THE LOVE NEST

Just got these in this week.
PICT6183.JPG

john t peterson

Very loving. Well done, Jingle!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Another Myers Love Test and another Oliver Whales Love Meter - with dual coin slot.
Looking a little unloved at the moment, but surely their day will come.
Attachments
lovetest.jpg
lovemeter.jpg