Pilwin Restoration

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
ollie h

Pilwin Restoration

Post by ollie h »

Hi, I have been collecting and restoring machines and vendors for a few years, I have been a regular visitor to this site for years but have never posted.
My latest project is a Bryan’s Pilwin and as you can see from the photos I have a fair bit of work to do. I am missing some of the mech and need to build a new case which is the easy bit for me being a joiner. My main problem at the moment is the back flash - it is beyond repair and I am no good with photo shop etc. So I was wandering whether any of you kind people would happen to have either a decent printable image of the backflash or an actual spare backflash I could buy. Any help would be appreciated and I will try and upload more images as the project progresses.
Many thanks in advance
Ollie.
Attachments
A0C94F5B-FC42-4465-A755-666D6B75D11Ba.jpg
AB434949-5712-47D5-805F-4BB02E65A0ABa.jpg
78E8BDCA-9438-4709-B600-3F307C858E52a.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Pilwin Restoration

Post by coppinpr »

Last edited by coppinpr on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
liquorbox

Post by liquorbox »

Looks good coppinpr.
All I see different is the button coloring and the word lost missing above the button.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Last edited by coppinpr on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
liquorbox

Post by liquorbox »

!!CHEERS!!
tammy

Post by tammy »

Hi looking at your original backflash i would have left it as at least you are looking at something original. If you replace as you are it will only be a piece of modern printed paper every time you look at it. On buying an allwin i would turn down a machine if it had a replaced print out. However on a possitive note for those with backflashes too badly gone there is plenty of help in resources, also someone on ebay was selling a disc with various allwin artwork that printed out at right size, this disc had the Pilwin artwork on. Best wishes
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Of course its best to keep the original but I think there comes a time when a backflash becomes too far gone to save yet a machine can still have a life with new artwork,looking at the old flash I think this is one of those occasions, by the way ,i wouldnt think you would make it out of paper !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I guess technically it would have been possible to keep as it look like the play field are was still complete and usual, but to many it would be annoying with amount of paint loss.

I have never taken an image to the printers before, how do they match the size, do you just state the dimensions and they do the rest
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I really don't see what people's problems are with printed back flashes tbh, at least they are saving the machine, anyone that would rather keep one falling to bits and looking ugly is beyond me, I never can work that out, same as when they say repainting them spoils the history of the machine, well isn't repainting it adding to the history of the machine !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You're right Keith, because the alternative is a heap of junk.
Of course the bottom line would be that an original in good condition has to be preferable.

It's all a matter of priority and preference ...... and depth of pocket.

However I do agree with you, restoring a worthy candidate is better than bonfire burning a lost cause. Especially as you provided me with the template for The Earth Satellite back flash I did a nut and bolt restoration on last year. :tarah:
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Deffo right Jeremy !THUMBS!

It will come to a point where there is none with original back flashes one day as they will have all crumbled to dust, what then? Just burn them all, stop collecting? Or display it with nothing on the back lol
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

what happened to the image coppin did ?
brianh

Post by brianh »

(treefrog)
I have never taken an image to the printers before, how do they match the size, do you just state the dimensions and they do the rest

When I did this with a kit kat backflash (touched up all the missing or damaged bits just using the "paint" prog as I don't have photo shop) I just popped the pic on a memory stick thingy and gave to the printer with exact measurements remembering to allow for border that is hidden from view. He printed it to size and laminated the pic, all for £12. If you "dirty" the picture up a bit when touching it up it can still give the appearence of an old one so as not to look too pristine.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I sort of assumed it was as easy as just giving the size to them....I did buy paint shop pro, but haven’t a clue how to use it so was wasted on me :lol:

Printing on paper is fine as I would just use a clear plastic sheet over the top like Wonders did, so much better as can be replaced.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

brianh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:22 pm (treefrog)

When I did this with a kit kat backflash (touched up all the missing or damaged bits just using the "paint" prog as I don't have photo shop) I just popped the pic on a memory stick thingy and gave to the printer with exact measurements remembering to allow for border that is hidden from view. He printed it to size and laminated the pic, all for £12. If you "dirty" the picture up a bit when touching it up it can still give the appearence of an old one so as not to look too pristine.
Exactly that.
First of all get as high a resolution of the finished picture as you can. That makes sure that when they blow it up to the dimensions you request it doesn't go all pixelated. Shove it on a stick and (in my case) ask for it to be encapsulated. They then send you an email of it expanded to your size. You approve it .... Job's a good 'un!

BP
tammy

Post by tammy »

The trouble I have with this is that there were 3 pictures of the Pilwin, one was after it was took off the machine but the one when it is on the machine surely doesn't look that bad. It's just a bit of paper once it's gone you might as well just buy a reproduction machine if you take it all along the line. No one is saying if a backflash is really past it that it isn't a good course.
I have restored many machines and some out of damp conditions where you have to do what you can.
All I am trying to open up is the fact I feel it is really sad how every vintage one arm bandit has to have its reel strips pulled off for new ones, missing all the character they had in the penny arcades of the 1950s and 60s that I so loved.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Tammy you are absolutely right, it would be great to keep history and originality where possible on any collectables, but there are those that prefer machines looking smart and those who prefer the untouched look. This will always be the case and hopefully machines survive to satisfy later, which I suspect I fall into. I am working on a machine now where the state of an item means originality is not possible due to a previous collector partially stripping the paint.

I am not convinced that machines will not survive without loss of originality over time as careful maintenance and attention should mean longevity, but obviously plastic backflashes can be an issue. I have an untouched Bryans Elevenses with original backflash with some cracks, but would never change in my ownership as it looks great.

It is down to the eye of the beholder I guess and this Pilwin is borderline I reckon.
sutton

Post by sutton »

Would it not be possible for someone to manufacture a plastic back flash as original? I'm sure there would be many people who would be interested in purchasing, including myself. If it can be done for 11's type why could it not be done for the Pilwin?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Well, in my eyes worn, damaged, tatty, ripped etc. will always be replaced with new. Times are changing and lots of people are wanting these for modern houses as art deco etc. They want them glammed up, they don't want rough looking things in their houses. After all, look at the way old antique furniture is going. Everyone wants it but they want it all painted up and looking modern and nice, not old and falling to bits. It's just like old cars and bikes - if they are falling to bits and not road worthy you wouldn't be able to use them so you would get them repaired or restored, which would mean losing originality but making them usable again.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Jim Bryan was still selling backflashes and spares just 17 years ago. I have an invoice from Jim Bryan dated December 2001 although the Kegworth Works were no longer in operation and he was trading from an address in Loughborough. A lot of collectors may view a 17 year old backflash as 'modern or new replacement' but does the relatively recent supply of an item actually from 'Bryans' fall into this catagory?