My British Sega - With a bit of elbow grease.

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
malcymal

My British Sega - With a bit of elbow grease.

Post by malcymal »

Well, a bit of elbow grease, a few quid titivating, a bit of polish, not a restoration but a budget renovation. I dont know if you remember this old crate i bought about five months ago for £50.00, handle didnt pull and pump didnt work. Well ive been having fun and i think for a budget you can come up with a pretty reasonable looking machine. Okay, its never gonna be a classic but i love my dear old whatever it is, a berkeley, a british sega, i dont know what to call it. I think i will call it Jeremy ; ) in tribute to the knowledge received to fix it in the first place. (I like the way you can feed this machine 3 coins too to have 3 pulls)

Whats been cosmetically done?
Paintwork metal casing:- Not a lot, its original, not sprayed. T-Cutted with red t-cut where red, and black bumper polish on the black work. Once this stuff dries, it dont come off on your hands and you can buff it up considerably. (in the shed, no cost)
Top Box:- This was pooh brown (i think nicotine) Stripped to bare metal and sprayed. (materials, wirewool etc £12)
Lighting:- bulbs replaced, all come on like a xmas tree, nice. (£3.00)
Wood work - Repainted with black gloss (£8.00)
Cash payout tray:- Back plate, just cleaned, you can hardly see it. Could be rechromed but not worth it.
The main payout tray ive just got back from electroplater, before it went away it was completely blistered and the central section was rusty and horrid. This looks lovely now (£60.00)
Rear Door - stripped to bare metal, primed and sprayed (£6)
6D Badge - bought for £5 inc postage !
Side bolts grimey - autosol, bought them up a treat (leftover tube in shed)

Fixing bits
Handle didnt pull - Shefra needed coin detector pin adjusting, whole mech was filthy, black and grimey. Now shines bright as can be seen in photo. Works a treat, doesnt jam and reliable.
Handle flying back with a bang - yep, followed the forum post on how to fix a mills pump, works well now, see video.

All in all, total cost of revamp £104 plus £50 for machine = £154 Im happy with this, okay its not a jackpot model but i like it, its reliable and it works.. It just goes to show though, that for a simple renovate, them costs mount up. Great fun though.
A couple of things that i will do, the handle could be rechromed for £25. A need a key made to fit lock (£7 last cost for this on my jubilee) and then im ready for my next machine.

Video of machine working:-
slotalot

Re: My British Sega - With a bit of elbow grease.

Post by slotalot »

Hi Malcymal :D , You have made a nice job of the restoration :thumbs: I bet you feel a real sense of achievement after all that hard work, well done... :tarah:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Thanks for your kind words Slotalot. Its not a perfect machine, but its so much better than when i first got it. I think if you decide to use the word renovate rather than restore you have a jumping off point from your project cause the money soon starts to add up. So much more i could do with this machine, but i think for its value, ive done enough and I have a working machine to play on, thump when a coin sticks and for the kids and various drunk family members to play on when we have parties. Im already threating when it payouts on the newly chromed cash tray!!!. :!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You've done well there double M. Cost wise and everything! I watched the video and it even sounds crisp! Like S just said the feeling of achievement is fantesticles isn't it?.......... you can't put a price on that. :mrgreen:
Here's to the next one :P
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Thanks BP.... I so enjoyed doing this one...im not going for perfection of a nut and bolt restore, but acceptable clean and sound working machine.
Heres to the next one hopefully sooner than later.
andy-m

Post by andy-m »

Nice job Malc :D :D , she is a beauty. Cant wait to get mine finished. Looking for another Sega already.
Think they are nice looking machines and just about my era . No matter how good you think your chrome is its nothing to what freshly chromed metal is like, tray looks great.

Well done Malc, what you thinking of getting next then? :mad: :mad:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Well Andy, im a bit like you being that ive got the bug...fairly new to this game and a lot to learn but learning all the time with help from the crew on here.
Id like a Mills, but not going to get into bidding wars on ebay. A sega with jackpot/gold award would be nice. I will carry out my tactics again by searching by local search strings such as googling "Bandit One Arm Armed west sussex for sale" this is how i got the £50 job (a private ad that had expired 6 weeks earlier, they still had machine and desperate to get it out of their kitchen) Id contemplate anything really, im quite intrigued by the Sega Continental on ebay at the moment, although i wouldnt travel to liverpool to collect it, but i do like the styling. The mech looks quite complex, an escalator that you cant see on through the case..bizzarre. I also fancy a cheap Bally with gold award (seen a few of these local that have finished at £50, used to spend all my pocket money as a kid winning the gold awards and trading the token in for a Matchbox car, or a packet of fags!) that havent been functioning but the electricity side of thing sort of scares me, although with the Bally Service Manual i downloaded off of here i am better equipped to deal with it. So, not sure. Thought i fancied an aristocrat but gone off the idea due to all that metal, no wood to paint and make good.
So wishlist is Mills - Sega - Bally....on any currency, not fussed. The good news is my wife has giving me clearance to have my machines on the landing area (we have a dead space that ive just decorated, had a velux put in the roof, opened up balcony wood work so you can see landing from downstairs) wife says they would look good up there with the chrome and light all glinting about. Good she is onside, she hated the £50 wreck but now really likes it. She loves my Jubilee too, so shes onside.. I can get five machines on the landing...so, 3 more to get!!! Just got the 2 pachilso machines to punt out in the loft (also playable) and i could have a couple in there too. All good fun and relatively cheap entertainment.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Coventry auction coming up !! :P
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Badpenny wrote:Coventry auction coming up !! :P
Last time i got sent there nobody spoke to me for a month....... Is there a catalogue available of the lots??
andy-m

Post by andy-m »

When is that auction, might be a road trip coming up :idea:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

malcymal wrote:
Badpenny wrote:Coventry auction coming up !! :P
Last time i got sent there nobody spoke to me for a month....... Is there a catalogue available of the lots??
........ Andy-M When is that auction, might be a road trip coming up
Hmm!!!?? Sounds like you two guys have been down your sheds sniffing turps too much! I can only presume you have not subscribed to Jerry's magazine (the only one in UK) and haven't been reading all of the posts on this site??? Time to clean your brushes, count your spare shillings and get the map out. :lucky:

Essential reading
andy-m

Post by andy-m »

Went to the link, looks good. Dont get a magazine and the last show I saw advertised was listed in Oct 2007.
Where abouts in coventry is it held ?

Edited in true style to say.................

Forget that as i just found the link, will do some sanwiches and a flask and have a drive up
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Andy-M wrote:Went to the link, looks good. Dont get a magazine and the last show I saw advertised was listed in Oct 2007.
Where abouts in coventry is it held ?

Edited in true style to say.................

Forget that as i just found the link, will do some sanwiches and a flask and have a drive up
Now, you see how much I worry about you younger chappies? It's nearly half past two in the morning and I'm having me Whorelicks by the pc to make sure you're all keeping up with the "essentials".
It's good of you to be honest and admit you haven't subscribed to JC's comic, but you do realise that means you can't play with your Megadrive in your bedroom for a month until you come to your senses?

Don't worry he'll corner you at the auction!
andy-m

Post by andy-m »

I`ll ask if I can have 3 weeks pocket money to take to Coventry :D
Whats the full name of the magazine(or code) I just know Im going to get lots of odd questions from my newsagent when I put my order in on Monday................................ ect ect
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Andy-M wrote:I`ll ask if I can have 3 weeks pocket money to take to Coventry :D
Whats the full name of the magazine(or code) I just know Im going to get lots of odd questions from my newsagent when I put my order in on Monday................................ ect ect
Do it now, on line, on this site here.............
Magazine Clicky Thing
andy-m

Post by andy-m »

Ok Ok Ok The deed is done. Look forward to a great read :D :D

Sorry Malc, seemed to have hijacked your thread :?
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Andy-M wrote:Ok Ok Ok The deed is done. Look forward to a great read :D :D

Sorry Malc, seemed to have hijacked your thread :?
Tis Ok, my elbow grease has resulted in you possibly about to grease the palm of a.n.other with an offering of silver for mechanical memories magazine, whilst keeping the grand master Bedpenny on his toes at 2.30 in the morning wondering what the heck us loons are gonna buy next and place more pictures on penny machines. :cool:
andy-m

Post by andy-m »

I must say I do like this gadget on ebay, item 130266473880. :?
There again this as well for a project item 150308707810 :mad:
Or I might just clear out my workshop of accumilate :-? :shock:

Better go as I got an extra paperound to do for my subs.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Andy-M wrote:I must say I do like this gadget on ebay, item 130266473880. :?
There again this as well for a project item 150308707810 :mad:
Or I might just clear out my workshop of accumilate :-? :shock:

Better go as I got an extra paperound to do for my subs.
Oh, well, the first one, thats a powells auction , the reserve will be the exact price it is for sale on 1armedbandit.co.uk. This machine does not float my boat at all, it looks far too new and far too much fettling : ) going on there.
Item 2..... best of english luck to you on this one, you will need it.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well Malcymal, I think you should take up restoration as a career, your £50 machine has done wonders on flea bay, although you are a master at selling your machines with the right script, which many fail to do and it definitatly makes a difference selling something with the right information and being positive... Well done !!THUMBSX2!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT