Bajazzo Clown wall machines

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Re: Bajazzo Clown

Post by gameswat »

I was going to post photos of my Bajazzo and Clown token collection showing unique serial numbers, but very hard to take group shots showing them all clearly. Anyway while researching something else I came across this website again with lots of good token and machine info. Here are links to multiple photos of Bajazzo and Clown tokens.

Bajazzo - https://sites.google.com/site/malsmach2/bajazzo
Clown - https://sites.google.com/site/malsmach2/clown

The site has tons of great information: https://sites.google.com/site/malsprojects/
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Bajazzo Clown

Post by badpenny »

I find generally speaking they scan better than they photo.

BP
lastcenturygames

A new type of Bajazzo Clown

Post by lastcenturygames »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello everybody,

A friend of me shown me a slot machine like Bajazzo catcher but the clown is not the same and the mechanism is a little different. I link a picture of this new type of clown (I search but don't find it!).
Could you help me if you have already saw it?
Thanks a lot.
Attachments
EPSON006_1.jpg
EPSON006_1.jpg (7.13 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
tammy

Re: A new type of Bajazzo Clown

Post by tammy »

Looks like the Queen's husband... Prince Phillip!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, why's the Duke of Edinburgh wandering around in his dressing gown? Never seen the like. I wonder what is 'a little different' about the mechanism.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

He is getting used to his new hip.
lastcenturygames

Post by lastcenturygames »

Hello,
The mechanism that provide the ball is a column full of.. balls (on the right). Happy that this clown is well known in GB. :HaHa:
Attachments
EPSON007_1.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, that's an unusual Clown mechanism. I'd like to see this game from the front.
Kevin

Clown Catcher payout conversion

Post by Kevin »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello everyone,

I have been a fan and member of this wonderful website since 2009, so I hope you will not think I’m being a bit too hasty in sending my first post!

I have had this Clown Catcher for about 30 years, but have only just managed to gain access to it. I know there has already been a lot written about this type of machine, but I have not found anything which relates to the type of conversion which this one seems to have had at some point in its life, and I would appreciate any comments from the members.

What I found is that the tube and payout slide for the tokens has been removed, and it has had a 1/2d payout slide fixed below the coin chute exit, so it now plays and pays out in 1/2d’s. I am guessing it would also have had a bell (removed when the damper tube was relocated), which I think would be quite straightforward and nice to reinstate. The rest of the mechanism appears to be untouched and is in very nice condition.

On the front playfield, the chute where the tokens would roll down has also gone. The velvet has been replaced (presumably to cover the holes left when chute was removed), although there are one or two places underneath where you can still see traces of old velvet in a browny-red colour. The instruction card and any spandrels it might have had are also long gone. (Glass removed for photos).

I would appreciate members views as to whether you think it would be worth trying to get it back to token payout (assuming I could source the parts) or just leave it as it is? Also any thoughts as to age and maker? I can find no markings at all, except for a few barely-legible letters and numbers stamped into the inside back of the case, and RH272 on one of the levers.

Any information would be greatly received! I think it is a lovely machine and it definitely will not be going back into storage!

Regards,
Kevin.
Attachments
L1130667a.jpg
L1130669a.jpg
L1130674a.jpg
L1130672a.jpg
L1130677a.jpg
L1130678a.jpg
L1130680a.jpg
john t peterson

Re: Clown Catcher payout conversion

Post by john t peterson »

Welcome to Pennymachines, Kevin. You certainly saved yourself for an excellent first post.

Your game is Bajazzo by Jentzsch & Meerz of Leipzig. If you've been on the site for 10 years, I'm sure you suspected such to be the case. I am a huge fan of catcher games and Bajazzo is one of the most charming.

While I appreciate and admire games in their original state, I am not an "originalist." I prefer to keep my games in their state as found, unless such state is an unmitigated disaster. A little tidy up is sometimes necessary but I like the story a machines tells us by way of its appearance and condition. These were machines of commerce and they reflect the times in which they earned a living.

As you correctly noted, your game has been refurbished and modified from the original. Personally, I would keep it in its current condition and search for another that is unmodified. That way, you could compare and contrast the two as an educational tool for those who might be interested. It would also save you a lot of time and expense attempting to restore your game with parts that will be very difficult to source.

That's just my opinion. There will undoubtedly be others arguing for a different result. Such is the strength of our hobby.

Kind regards,
J Peterson
American Clown
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Welcome Kevin, a very nice machine you have. I would agree with the erudite John T Peterson and I would also keep as is - the only addition I would add is a lock.
John T Peterson wrote:Your game is Bajazzo by Jentsch & Meerz of Leipzig...........I'm sure you suspected such to be the case
........and of course the mechanism John :lol:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I agree with the above esteemed members' comments - leave as is and call it 'part of its history'. At least the conversion has been done a long while ago as it is on proper money, not the nasty decimal stuff. As argee says, a lock would be a good addition.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Many thanks to all who replied and especially to John, for his words of wisdom and for confirming what I had hoped re: the maker! It feels like chatting to old friends. I would tend to agree, as do you all, that it would be best to keep it just as it is, except for giving the case a tidy up and putting a lock on - thanks for the suggestion arrgee. Nice to know I'm thinking along the right lines - for once! It’s a lovely old machine and a pleasure to play.

Regards,
Kevin.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Question for the Gurus on this site: I have been given to understand that the early clown catchers had a light brown/gold back cloth and that this colour lasted up to around WW1, then the colour of the cloth was changed to green, then finally red (or was it red then finally green?). However, does anyone know whether this was in fact the case? . :!?!:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Problem is ageing of the green cloth sometimes turns brown. I have had and seen a few machines with a faded brown look, but when looking at hidden areas inside was green.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I've never seen any in original light brown/gold? But I agree with Tree that they turn up badly faded to a light brownish hue occasionally.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Now would be an appropriate time to repeat Gameswat's brilliant tip for Allwin cloth backflash replacement: Find an establishment that sells used pool tables and purchase from them an old felt top which they removed in one of their refurbishments. They are usually willing to sell such at a very reasonable price. !!IDEA!!

J Peterson
Awaiting refurbishment in America
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Gameswat wrote:I've never seen any in original light brown/gold
Interesting Gameswat, I have had a few of these machines in the past and all of them have had the light brown/gold baize back cloth and certainly looked to be the original cloth
Attachments
clown.jpg
clownPMWG.jpg
clown PMWG.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I've always believed those were faded red and green, red being the most unfast colour there is. If those were original brown it would seem strange they'd use a background that so closely matched the wood?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Definitely not a faded red or green as the hidden and unexposed edges are a slightly darker brown. It is always easy to apply today's values, concepts and ideas to yesterday's things. When these were first in production, life was so different and perhaps it was considered pleasant to look at, visually balanced and homogenous to have this backcloth colour. Maybe when the 'roaring 20s' came along and then the Art Deco era manifest itself, that is when the colour changed to the more vibrant red or green.