Essex Flat Racer identified

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
gameswat

Re: Essex Flat Racer identified

Post by gameswat »

PM, I wonder if you can please post any photos you have showing the complete cabinets of the two Motorcycle machines you restored? I'm trying to figure out the correct instruction card holder and marquee for the game I'm restoring. There are marks and two holes on the left door side of this one showing it once held a rectangular frame vertically, and when I fitted an Essex Corn Exchange frame casting it fit perfectly. Bit I'd be interested to see what the later games had, possibly the streamlined version as on the Greyhound? And did either of those have the original instruction card because sadly it's too small to read on the Racing Investor photo you posted earlier? Cheers.
Attachments
essex frame fitted.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Rory,
Responding to your PM reminder - unfortunately I don't think I took a picture of the one I restored and returned, but it was identical to the one I kept. Both were identical to Roger's in the very first post of this thread, except they had bikes, and large round crank handles (of thermoset resin?). Both lacked original paperwork, including totalizators I'm afraid. It's frustrating, isn't it? As the frame is mounted sideways on your machine, the text would have to be configured differently anyway.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks PM. But at least an instruction card in any shape would have yielded the original wording. Maybe the owner of the apparently complete Racing Investor version will come to light one day? Other than that I do still have one last iron in the fire that might just pay dividends regarding these games........ :!?!:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

As a prototype this machine turned out to be a hell of a lot of work to get right - over 140 hrs! Overly complicated due to the fact it hadn't worked very well from new!! Knowing the high quality of other Essex machines I'm certain this was only supposed to be a proof of concept and design test, and never ever meant to be operated. Well, other than possibly very short location testing to see if players liked it. My theory as to why this machine survived and was actually well used is this: The Essex company closed in 1931 and an advertisement in 1930 stated "machines to clear", so it probably escaped then into the hands of an operator. The company was revived in 1935 but possibly only in name.

Due to almost no surviving information on this mech or cabinet I had to fill in most of the blanks as best I could. I based the missing marquee on other Essex machines, the Corn Exchange and Stock Exchange, both having used the earlier Clown design. As for the name and lettering I stole that from the only other Horse Race version known. Though I later decided this probably wasn't quite right as I think the Investor name related to the fact the other machine is a Future Pay, as all the others are too I think. While this prototype pays at the end of the race. Anyway I'm happy to redo the marquee if any new information comes to light.
Attachments
corn exchange patent cab.jpg
essex RacingInvestor.jpg
essex horse.jpg
essex horse 1.jpg
essex horse 2.jpg
essex horse marquee.jpg
essex horse racer mech.jpg
stock exchange ad.jpg
Last edited by gameswat on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

!!GOODJOB!! CoNgRaTs
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

jailtime10 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:50 pm ESSEX AUTO MANUFACTURING CO. LTD..............In a more serious mode...has anyone ever researched the history of this company to see how an auto company evolved into making WATLING(see note **) slot machines.
Jailtime alias Roger, nothing to do with automobiles, the Auto would mostly likely be a shortening of Automatics, which was a very common term for coin-op machines at the time and used in many company names.

Update:
I just enlarged the above Stock Exchange advert photo and the decal on the marquee clearly says "E. A. M. C. - Automatic". So no s.
Attachments
stock exchange decal.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Very nice GW, would have that in my collection anytime ;-)

Did the lower cash door get changed in its travels as it looks different to the picture with the carved horse marquee
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Cheers Tree. When the game went to auction in 1975 (photo below) the door was already lost so someone added that (rather poorly and using a drawer handle upside down) in the intervening years. The standard Essex cup as copied from Watling would not have fitted such a thin door, so without any photos to work from and based on the pieced together and recycled nature of the rest of the machine I opted for what I guess they'd have used, an Allwin cup.
Attachments
HorseRacer (1).jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Outstanding work, Gameswat. You are still the master.

J Peterson
Auto-mobile in America
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks JP, but the more I look at the cashbox door the less I like it. I'd toyed with the idea of making a three piece door that would match up with the structure of the upper door that I thought might look more original. But that got quickly left behind when the mechanism restoration moved well past the 100 hr mark with no sign of stopping anytime soon! Working for other people can get frustrating when things don't go as quickly or easily as they (or I) imagined. My friend totally believed the auction blurb that this only needed minor adjustment and lubrication!! :oops:
jailtime10

Post by jailtime10 »

Hi Gameswat..........I am always excited to discuss one of my favorite coinops, "DOG RACE".
In my opinion, it has never attained the "wow" factor it truly deserves. My Dog Race has a chrome handle vs. the round RESIN handle on the AUTO version.
!SMARTY! ...that sounds like it comes from a different time frame which issue has never been discussed.

Having read Gameswat's recounting his restoration of a Racing Investor, it brought tears to my eyes....accordingly, on the weekend I will post a picture of my Dog Race instruction card.
It may offer some help in developing one for his vertical frame.

I note the another member, BESIDES MYSELF , fell for the line that "all it needs is a drop of oil and a slight adjustment".....As previously suggested, Mr. P. should design a STUPID Smilie.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

!!SUICIDAL!!
:-o
!WOW!
!DOH!
!TIRED!
jailtime10

Post by jailtime10 »

Hi Gameswat.........Congratulations on your restoration of the RACER

I'd say that this is perfection +++++
Attachments
Dog Race.jpg
jailtime10

Post by jailtime10 »

I am searching for information on "THE RACER"...it looks to be from the UK....similar name to Gameswat's Racing Investor although it appears to be operated by 2 players using revolving handles...very intriguing.
Google 'Pinterest collection Lynn Limeburner. I discovered the site using "vintage penny arcades". I was not able to get any information using the Pinterest site.

I would also be interested to hear if Gameswat completed his restoration of the RACING INVESTOR PLUS the hours it took to complete this daunting task...THANKS, J10 (still doing time)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

jailtime10 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:48 pm(still doing time)
You must have been very naughty! :tut

You mean the little wall machine near the bottom of this page?

I commented on it here: Morphy Coin Op & Advertising, May 14-15.
Originally an 1896 Doughty & Barrett, although 'original' did not apply so much to this example.

The one below sold in the UK in 2017:

jailtime10

Post by jailtime10 »

Hi MR. P.
Thanks for the info on the RACER...........I intend to sign up for Arena when my son arrives with pay-pal..
I must have missed all the good stuff posted there......
You indicated that a RACER sold in the UK IN 2017...unlike the Morphy offering, did this one have the original case and do you know what it sold for? .....have there been others over the years?
and YES, life is difficult in the POKEY. JH10
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It sold for £6000 plus 24% commission. It was all original but in slightlly distressed condition. I don't recall another at auction but there are a handful of them in collectors' hands.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

jailtime10 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:48 pm I would also be interested to hear if Gameswat completed his restoration of the RACING INVESTOR PLUS the hours it took to complete this daunting task.
I've already answered those questions in the thread. !PUZZLED!
jailtime10 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:56 pm I must have missed all the good stuff posted there......
:woops:
roger

Post by roger »

At first I decided not to add to this post ..........The last time it veered "off-topic" into the controversial subject of "Capital Letters" and that's when the s--- hit the fan.
Now, looking back, it did provide for some good laughs and spirited debate.

My recent inspection of the Dog Race revealed that it has a factory made back plate for the coin slot so as to accomodate various size coins and not just the size of the outer plate.

Perhaps Mr. P will check his version of the Dog Race and see if it has this feature. roger

I WOULD APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH (just funin)